Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

You should read Voodoo Histories. It provides a great look at modern conspiracies and where they come from.

At the end of the day, I do think people latch to conspiracy theories because it allows them to do two things:

1) Be smarter than everyone in the room.
2) To feel like they have control. 9/11 Trutherism comes from the fact that people can't take the idea of 19 psychopaths, who come from the "uncivilized" part of the world, can end the lives of 3000 people and turn the most powerful nation on Earth on it's head. The JFK theories make it clearer to me. If the President of the United States can be taken out at seemingly random, what shot do you have in the real world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

that's a fine attitude to have it's just that literally all the evidence points to him acting alone.

The thing I have heard that makes sense but has no backing was that a secret service officer either tripped or had his gun go off after hitting a bump ALSO hitting Kennedy and that's why the government has classified a bunch of stuff so that family didn't have to suffer the humiliation and scorn of accidentally killing the President.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jethro posted:

No, he's saying (I think) that Oswald was there and tried to kill the President, but the Secret Service agent was the one who actually, accidentally, fired the kill shot. So they blamed the unsuccessful assassin to spare the accidental killer.

E: F,B.

Also, I just want to clarify that I too think this is BS, just not quite the level of BS you first thought.

I should say that this theory is that Oswald did hit Kenendy and Connoley but the one that blew open Kennedy's head was an accidental misfire from a secret service agent.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

Despite, you know, video evidence not showing anyone with a gun in their hand firing at Kennedy.

I don't really believe it, I am just saying it was the only conspiracy that made sense to me.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

People should read Voodoo Histories, it gives a great breakdown on how and why conspiracy theories develop.

• Locked thread