Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

deptstoremook posted:

I've always felt like conspiracy theorists are almost there. I like to study critical theory and social theory, which often rest on similar bases, i.e., that there are systems in our society that enforce control and hierarchy and rest outside of the realm of one-on-one personal relationships: think of Foucault's theory of discourse, where ideologies and authoritarian functions are happening on an individual and state level at the same time.

You can't really "prove" a social theory through empirical evidence, but it's not that kind of argument. For instance, you can never "prove" the patriarchy exists, and people too often fall into that trap and say "do you think there's a CONSPIRACY of men planning how to oppress women?" Of course not. Instead, you take something like feminism, discourse theory, or Marxism and apply it to a set of events to see how far it takes you.

In short, social theories are like scientific theories in that they both aim to interpret problematic evidence in order to describe some underlying law or principle in a culture or nature.

A conspiracy "theory" works in much the same way, at first. You assemble evidence that causes problems with an understanding of an event (how far away Lee Harvey Oswald was, the tensile strength of the beams in the WTC), and then you start theorizing what new explanation might solve these problems. The issue with conspiracy theories is they introduce arbitrary explanations that are either factually invalid ("explosives were planted in the WTC") or entirely unprovable ("lizard people").

Other theorists, when presented with problems in their theory, aim to re-work the theory or assimilate the evidence into the theory (scientists reading this thread, let me know if I'm off track). Someone might say that the working poor enjoy increased standard of living under capitalism, but a Marxist might say that's just an exercise in hegemony, the rich giving the poor just enough so they don't agitate--Marxism can explain this problem. Something like relativity, I assume, has addressed many evidential challenges over the years.

Conspiracy theorists don't do this. When presented with opposing evidence they simply ignore it, or accuse the other person of being blind or bought. There's no effort to integrate conflicting viewpoints or evidence into the conspiracy theory. That's why the JFK discussion is probably not totally a "conspiracy theory;" over the years, there has been a lot of forthright discussion about the events of that day, and differing interpretations.

A conspiracy theory rests on the emotional appeal of its argument, while social and scientific theories rest on their strength in understanding a wide variety of physical or social events.

The whole problem is that the conspiracy theorist is not attempting an honest investigation, it's all a fishing expedition to find facts to support a conclusion that's already been made (namely, that there's a coverup of some sort). This is why the narratives constructed by the conspiracy theorists make no sense. Take any event at all. If you examine it closely enough you're going to find some unlikely things going on. That's because unlikely things happen all the time. If you look at a million pieces of evidence it isn't surprising if you find something that had a million to one shot of happening. Once these "inconsistencies" are collected then the narrative is built. That's why Bush faked the attack to start the war in Iraq, even though none of the hijackers were from there. That's why the buildings were brought down with explosives, even though a plane would do the job. That's why they blew them up with thermite, even though thermite isn't an explosive and C4 would've made a lot more sense. That's why there was no plane attacking the pentagon, even though it would make a lot more sense for the conspirators to just hijack one more plane if they've already gone that far. It's because the narrative has been constructed around an essentially random set of "facts", united only by their support of the predetermined conclusion that there must be some sort of coverup.

As a side note, I've noticed how convenient a tool the false flag attack is to the conspiracy theorist. It's because the false flag allows one to reassign blame however one wishes in order to fit any situation into your narrative. If A attacks B and B retaliates, well then that might be justified. But if the initial attack was actually a false flag by B well then now everything is B's fault. So if some event contradicts your view of who's the good guy and who's the bad guy just claim false flag and everything's back in its right place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread