Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Finndo posted:

I thought the most pervasive truther rant was in relation to the Pentagon, claiming that nobody ever saw a plane there or something.

That one is kind of weird since it involves some really cherry picked pictures to show that there wasn't any plane wreckage by the Pentagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Finndo posted:

If I remember correctly they were basing it on some low security cam like 30 feet from the point of impact, and all you could see on it was a blur. OMG Missile attack!

There's also the fact that the hole in the Pentagon is circular instead of somehow being like a cartoon cut out of a plane.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

This is probably straying off the topic a bit but to answer shortly is he has shown his birth certificate, multiple times and in multiple forms. Anyone who still doesn't buy it is looking for an excuse and will never be happy.

He never should have had to do it in the first place, any requests for it were based solely on racism.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's also Penn and Teller who are good on stuff that can be objectively measured but once they get into personal beliefs become rather loony.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, I read a book that was about debunking various conspiracy theories throughout the ages and then when he got to 9/11 it was basically "well they kind of have good points about Bush being responsible."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

made of bees posted:

On a related note, I don't think I've ever seen any conspiracy theorist type, even the more left-leaning ones, ever mention MLK's assassination. It seems like a pretty straightforward narrative to me, much more than, say, Kennedy's assassination, and from what I remember King's family and close acquaintances think the government killed him. Do conspiracy theorists just ignore anything halfway reasonable?

Nah, there are a ton of conspiracy theories around MLK's death. Stuff like that somebody claiming to be an advance man changed his hotel room to the second floor, or that James Earl Ray couldn't have rented the room with the plan to kill MLK because it isn't obvious that the place overlooks the hotel.

The waters were also muddied by the fact that Ray recanted his confession in prison and claimed he only did it on bad advice from his lawyer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Mythbusters TV show also went through and took a bunch of various theories and debunked them. There was one about the lighting conditions in a picture and another about what footprints would look like in moondust in a vacuum. They also debunked the "waving flag" theory and the one that the footage of Armstrong and Aldrin bouncing around was just sped up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Holocaust deniers are weird because a lot of the time they claim it didn't happen but they'd be perfectly okay if it did and in the upcoming RAHOWA they'll totally kill all the Jews.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A couple of years ago I was talking to someone at work about religion (bad idea) and they mentioned that they were Pentacostal and "did not believe" in Catholicism.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Armani posted:

I have a conspiracy theorist in my life who straight up admitted he would pillage and kill anyone he had to survive if revolution comes to America.

This was in response to us wondering if we should grow citrus trees on our lawn so our neighbors could have free fruit if they wanted.

That's actually what causes the fall of society in the David Brin novel The Postman. Society gets hosed up a little but then all of the survivalists start coming out of the woodwork pillaging and looting trying to carve out their own little fiefdoms.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funny thing about that Seifeld graphic is the lower left "All seeing eye" bit is from an episode where they were making fun of new age stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Its funny a lot of times these kind of things have these kinds of mistakes. Really basic factual errors are so common in fake news stories like this. Like above, how the "airbase" in a truther tale is actually a regular airport that is not hidden in anyway.

They also just seem to gloss over the utterly monstrous part of the theory where the people who aren't on the plane call their loved ones and pretend they're about to die.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm pretty sure Greece and Rome are real and not "mythical."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Next time I'm at the dentist I have to remember to ask the hygienist if they have people freak out at them very often because she gave me a specific toothpaste and mouth rinse to use and they're both loaded with fluoride.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mulgrew has since come out and said that the producers lied to her when they hired her for the voice over. While one of the scientists has said he has no clue where the clip they have of him even came from.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Oh goody, is it time for me to post the real poo poo again?

Don't Make Me Go Back, Mommy: A Child's Book about Satanic Ritual Abuse

Of course the fun thing about Satanic Ritual Abuse is that it never existed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ClownSyndrome posted:

So is weird Al a puppet who is trying to discredit conspiracy theories because they are close to waking up the sheeple and overthrowing the NWO, or is he trying to ACTUALLY warn everyone about the NWO under the protection of a silly song?

OR BOTH?

He's obviously a lizard man wearing a mask considering he looks younger now than he did 30 years ago.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seventh Arrow posted:

It blew my mind when I first heard about the "reptilian stuff" and out of morbid curiosity, did a youtube search on it. These people will actually post videos of politicians and celebrities with comments like, "see the way her eyes dart back and forth, like a predator lizard would" or "listen to his speech, as if it's difficult to form the words with a forked tongue." I think they're so far down the rabbit hole that the rabbits have given up and moved elsewhere.

There's also the people who think that video compression artifacts are the reptillians showing their true form.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seventh Arrow posted:

Does anyone know of any good video rebuttals to the whole "Loose Change" stuff? My Pop, in his retirements years, has taken to watching lots of documentaries and has for some reason taken a shine to the LC videos. Dunno why, he's usually more skeptical than that. Anyways, any links I could send him would be cool.

The History Channel teamed up with Popular Mechanics a couple of years ago to do a debunking documentary special.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

I will never not find Jesus = Ra funny as hell. Aside from them making some stuff up about Ra wholesale the entire thing hinges on a pun that only works in English.

Son of God = Sun God!

Yeah, when Zeitgeist originally made the rounds I heard people talking about it and started to watch it. I turned it off when they got to the "Son=Sun" thing because someone who says that isn't worth the time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I stopped reading that part way through, does it address the fact that Prince Albert was 25 years older than Hitler?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

I have actually never been exposed to this sort of thing. That's pretty crazy.

The funny thing about the whole Supernatural situation is that the show has literally called those kind of people out and said that they're being super gross. At one point in the series the main characters learn that someone is writing "fictional" novels about their adventures and that it has a small crazy fanbase. They find out about the incest shipping and go on about how "They know we're brothers, right? That's gross."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The "birther" movement has to be the worst conspiracy because there is literally no other reason behind it than racism. He's black and doesn't have an "American" name so obviously he isn't American. Of course it wouldn't even matter if he actually was born in Kenya because his mother was an American citizen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

If the idea was to hatch and plant Obama as some sort of secret Muslim Manchurian Candidate who would one day become president and destroy America from the inside, why didn't they change his loving name?

Hahaha, oh man, there are so many Obama name conspiracies you wouldn't believe.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyway, one thing I remember hearing about Project Paperclip was that the reports on German scientists all went through a thorough white washing to remove any stain of Nazism. Instead shockingly enough every scientist just happened to be apolitical, especially Von Braun. Just ignore that whole "SS Major" thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

Phones. Phones.

http://www.infowars.com/police-woman-beheaded-at-oklahoma-workplace/

I'm sure this will be spun into another "false flag, crisis actors" thing by the conspiracy crowd. The comments on the article already have.

Do these people think anything real ever happens? Do they think their life is the Truman Show?

There are mental illnesses where the symptoms involve believing that everything is part of an elaborate ruse. Internet conspiracy theorists don't really help them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, off the top of my head, both Israel and China pay people to go on message boards/comment fields and talk up the respective country.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a movie being made about some British court case involving a Holocaust denier so expect more "Hollywood Zionism" stuff to start popping up again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Caconym posted:

The Jade Helm stuff is just so fantastic to me. It's literally this:

Being from Norway with major NATO joint exercises every drat year it just so alien that people get scared of their own military showing up.

I'm not sure if its so prevalent any more but a big part of 90s conspiracy theories were that evil UN troops were going to invade America.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

What's fascinating is that the culture kept evolving. Now it's nowhere near the recovered memory rape kidnapping stuff of 1970-2000 and would be unrecognizable to Geraldo or Budd Hopkins. Even X-files outlived the actual culture and had to retrofit some Mayan 2012 stuff near the end.

The recovered memory craze and related satanic panic really propelled ufo abduction into pop-culture respectability, but without those other elements it went right back to crazytown. I bet there aren't even classic abduction accounts being made any more--that it's just the same crowd as MKULTRA schizophrenics.

It's kind of hard to claim close up alien encounters any more seeing as everyone has a camera/video recorder in their pocket.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Chairman posted:

I think this is why the new hotness is gangstalking/Targeted Individuals; when you think every traffic jam or line at the bank or weird noise at night is evidence of a conspiracy to personally harass you, it's easy to whip out your phone and comprehensively document every single event that happens so you can compile them online

Probably the weirdest part about gangstalking is how there's never any reason behind it. Most conspiracy theories have some kind of goal but gangstalking is always just harassment for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WampaLord posted:

It's pretty common for mentally ill people to do that capitalization thing to make Concepts seem much more Important than they actually Are.

Nah, some people are just loving terrible at grammar. The company I work for does transcription of recorded calls and you wouldn't believe how bad people can be at knowing how to properly write.

• Locked thread