Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Original 4chan was the SA posters that said "those FYAD people have some good ideas" and didn't get the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Elderbean posted:

So how about the whole conspiracy surrounding Kurt Cobain/Courtney Love? Is there any substance to it? I didn't know much about it, to be honest. Two of my friends asked me to watch Soaked in Bleach with them, and I have a feeling I was being sold one version of the narrative. They're totally onboard with the theory, I think people just don't want to accept the fact that a guy they looked up to killed himself.

The note is legitimately weird. but it wouldn't be the only time a person high on drugs made a note that was weird. Every other bit of evidence is made up whole cloth.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tias posted:

I used to be a Courney truther, to my shame. Once you realize dude had massive scoliosis from sitting and playing wrong in high school, the heroin habit makes sense, and if you ever knew anyone that died from an OD, well, you know it's usually a flat-out accident.

Yeah, but he didn't die from an overdose, he died from a shotgun shooting him in the head while he was also having an overdose. It's not an impossible situation but it's a weird situation.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Why has this thread been wikileaks stuff for like 100 pages anyway? I have lost track of what that even related to.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I thought lizardmen were based on the semi-legitimate 1600s 'science' about the earth being hollow and a bunch of luminous gas being in a bunch of weird rotating shells in the earth that powers the magnetic field and leaks out to make the northern lights and somehow that means people could live underground but since it's underground they'd have to be lizard like or whatever

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

dwarf74 posted:

I mean, really, ask yourself this - "What if every news organization really wants your eyeballs and/or ears tuned to it? What kinds of news do you expect they would cover - complicated, in-depth things like the nuances of the TPP, or dumb stuff like Trump arguing about crowd sizes? What would the news look like?"

And the answer, near as I can see is, "Basically exactly what it looks like." No secret society of Illuminati and Bilderbergs required, just independent organizations flocking to whatever can help keep them afloat.

There really are only 6 companies that own every television news channel though and one company owns 80% of radio. You don't need too much spooky backdeal stuff to see collaboration.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The moon landing and 9/11 were both some of the most watched news footage ever in human history and both are some of the richest targets of conspiracy. Being extremely well documented seems like it raises the amount of crazy theories about a thing instead of lowering it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Data Graham posted:

if it's something that requires you to throw out basically your entire accumulated worldview and perception of reality, like flatearthism

Flat earth seems interesting because it's the opposite. Like the world is super clearly a flat plane with a domed sky if you walk outside and just look around. The tricks to disprove that standing in one general place are fairly obscure and not something most people would know to look for. So flat earth is unique in being the situation your own personal perception will be wrong and you just have to realize that society has a bigger and better view than you do.

Like it's super wrong clearly and easy to disprove in the modern world, but it's unique as a conspiracy because it's the default naive theory a human would have about the world if they didn't know otherwise compared to stuff like "the queen of england is a jewish lizard" that requires adding a specific narrative you have to generally hear from someone else.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Data Graham posted:

In that vein, some days I can only marvel at the fact that people actually accept things like "washing hands prevents the spread of disease" and "sex and only sex leads to pregnancy" and "your phone contains billions of tiny electrical signals interacting with networks over radio waves and that's where your cat meme came from".

And then I remember that large numbers of people are agitating against vaccinations and poo poo and suddenly the entirety of the human endeavor to educate generation upon generation to inherit the knowledge we've accumulated seems completely futile.

I wonder if you could split conspiracies up into two groups like this. Like some are a world view where the version you can verify simply with your untrained eyes must be more real than the received information from grade school and ones where the world is not as it seems and you require being someone that learned the tricks and sees through the veil to see the hidden deeper truth.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mad Hamish posted:

Do the Holocaust deniers also deny the extermination of gay people, gypsies, and the retarded? Or do they only focus on the persecution of the Jews? It would be weird if they accepted that the Nazis wanted to destroy gypsies, gay folk, and the mentally challenged, but rejected the desire to eliminate the Jews, wouldn't it?

I am pretty sure that like 50% of americans think gypsies are some type of fictional witch type creature in the same category as a leprechaun or something. Or is an olde timey 1800s thing, or is a quasi 'profession' like rail riding hobo was. Outside europe I think more people don't know "Gypsy" is an ethnic group than people that do know that.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The conspiracy theory is coming from inside the house.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lurks Morington posted:

The Romani or Roma are a nomadic people in Europe. They have a bad reputation as thieves and pick pockets

They are absolutely hated in europe but have such a low population in the US that most people have not even ever met one to the point a large population literally thinks of them as being fictional. Making them a bizarre target for fox news to treat as a threat. They make up less than .3% of the US population and only a small percentage of that has any cultural link to any sort of roma identity or culture.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

gowb posted:

Uhhh so didn't that Q guy on 4 or 8 chan or whatever predict that the mainstream news would be talking about UFO stuff today? Just saw something on CNN. Little scary.

That isn’t a spooky prediction, the military just released a big dump of ufo stuff a few days ago. (The main info being investigation into ufos found nothing interesting)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Jazerus posted:

lol "nothing interesting"

They ended the program and dumped the secret info because it never found anything

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MizPiz posted:

The worst part about it is that this is basically true

There is barely any “bankers” in the richest people list. And there is definitely a reason that word is the shorthand instead of other words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MizPiz posted:

Just because there aren't that many bankers in Forbes top 100 doesn't mean that financial institutions aren't at the center of the neoliberal global order. And the reason it's the shorthand is because the average person's interaction with the financial industry is almost exclusively done through banks.

More like “bankers” was a reasonable description of the Rothschilds and people have several reasons to want envoke them instead of someone else. Same general reason George soros is brought up eight billion percent more often than any other random billionaire

• Locked thread