Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I think the reason it's mildly noteworthy is the fact that so many have had the false memory. It's not that that makes the claims of some reddit users true (I imagine the "theory"is mostly people trying to be funny) but it's worth commenting on. Everyone I discussed it with yesterday was amused and amazed that they've had it wrong all these years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MrUnderbridge posted:

That was "V", from the 80's. Started out as a "Let's do a show on World War I I, but change it " (does a huge line of coke) "to ALIENS instead of Nazis!" (Admiring snorts all round).

Having been a bit of a ufo nut as a goonlet (before my skepticism gland kicked in) I remember reading about reptilians back in the 70's. They were just another type of alien back then, along with grays, Nordics, regular humanoids, robots and probers. I guess they got into politics later, under Reagan.

When I went through a similar phase of my adolescence in the mid to late 90s I would listen to art bell on the radio and he would often have women call in and talk about having sex with reptilian visitors at night. I don't remember politics being involved there either.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Good Lord five hours long.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dominicius posted:

I agree with you on the length of the video. I did not watch the whole thing in one sitting either. That being said, I know that it will scare some people away but I also don't mind that at all.

Also "the next segment is entirely dependent on the concrete having been pulverized" is a complete non-criticism. Of course the concrete was pulverized. The building collapsed, which caused the pulverization. The question is what caused the initial collapse.

Two planes crashing into the buildings. That's the answer. Mystery solved.

gently caress off.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Here's some "research" too.

http://fellowshipoftheminds.com/2015/04/30/are-the-crew-members-of-1986-space-shuttle-challenger-still-alive/

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Lightning Jim posted:

Welp, today's the day of our thread's namesake.
Here's hoping the only 9/11 conspiracy stuff I hear today is only meant ironically.. (a.k.a. loving goons)

Saw a girl on tumblr asking mythbusters to show that jet fuel can't melt steel beams this morning.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

twistedmentat posted:

But it looks like a controlled demolition! Looks like!!! - Someone who has seen one controlled demo on tv and it was 6 story building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaZKIeWALTM

This is a pretty good discussion between two guys where one is talking about how they realize that Truth movement is full of poo poo.

But then you read the comments and see the truthers have an answer for everything. One of the comments there the original poster put a ton of links for material that debunks the truthers but it goes largely ignored.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The popularization of fondue completely revolutionized cheese.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Disinterested posted:

Well, what got you out?
Psychiatric meds is my guess.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Helsing posted:

The period of the "second industrial revolution", straddling a 40-50 year period between the last quarter of the 19th century and up to the beginning of World War I, is probably the single most consequential period of technological advancement since the rise of agriculture thousands of years ago. The changes ushered in by that period are a lot more dramatic than any changes wrought by the internet or smart phones or space travel.

In 1930 if you took away the scientific advances during that period the world would still continue to function.

In 2016 if you were to clear the satellites in earth orbit and cut the lines that connect the continents to the internet the world would come to a complete standstill.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I thought it had to be a parody until I looked at the source channel and it's full of this stuff. What's more disturbing is that at about 8:55 in the linked video you can hear some kids in the background.

It reminds me a lot of these incoherent videos from the guy that shot Gabrielle Giffords, Jared Loughner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8Wr6AeZTCE

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mr. Sunshine posted:

The Swedish commercial air traffic interest group Svenskt Flyg posted this on their twitter today:

https://twitter.com/SvensktFlyg/status/715785748235030530

Translation:
"Big thanks to @ArmedForces and @SecurityPolice for good and fruitful cooperation these last years!"

That's great. I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding like this:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

The Larch posted:

I choose to believe that Icke's followers are accusing Jones of being a literal plant.

It's so obvious when you point it out. Especially in the neck region. They are definitely the same plant.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 15, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Data Graham posted:

What is it with the Swiss and drilling holes in things

First cheese, now this.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is this when we find out "jokes on you guys! I'm not actually retarded, I was only pretending"?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
This is only interesting to you two. Can you take it to PMs?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Irom posted:

I'm not saying I necessarily buy any of it but your "summary" is straight garbage dude

But that's exactly what it's claiming...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Pizza truthers ITT.

It's loving insane that this, of all things, has exploded like this. I've been reading it since it took off and am still trying to get my head around it.

Definitely not me, I was just confused because the summary seemed pretty accurate to me as to what the "conspiracy" sites are reporting.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Prester Jane posted:

Assange was wanted in Sweden for an investigation that he refused to cooperate with. He could have simply faced the charges. He chose not to and he made that choice freely. It is at this point that the entire premise of your response falls completely apart. It isn't worth addressing the rest of your post because it all suffers from the same failing.

You need to use the correct words. He was not charged with a crime so there are no "charges" to face. He is wanted for questioning, he has questioning and allegations to face and eventually maybe potential charges, but as of now, no charges.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 30, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

so you believe podesta really owns a hot dog stand in hawaii? you believe he carries handkerchiefs with pizza related maps on them just because?

Inside jokes you don't have any context for aren't codes, dude

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/32795

most of you deniers havent even researched pizza gate one bit. i used to be a super rational anti conspiracist too in my younger days until i actually put some time in and found out how evil the government inherently is. im not saying there was rape inside the pizzeria, what im saying is that theres a network of very powerful individuals who are clearly talking in codes and who happen to be into vile disgusting pedo art

https://archive.fo/vddrO#selection-3897.0-3913.74

The collage on the bottom you posted is art by Biljana Djurdjevic. That particular art is cherry-picked from her work by pizzagate idiots as "vile disgusting pedo art". But the paintings in that collage aren't necessarily the ones hung in the Podesta home and only represent a fraction of her total output in her work as a painter alone. Show me photos of these particular paintings in the podesta home and you might have something... then again you wouldn't because it's just art.

The article linked says this

quote:

Not always. Folks attending a house tour in the Lake Barcroft neighborhood in Falls Church earlier this year got an eyeful when they walked into a bedroom at the Podesta residence hung with multiple color pictures by Katy Grannan, a photographer known for documentary-style pictures of naked teenagers in their parents' suburban homes.

It does not say there are photos of naked teenagers. It says there are photos from a photographer known for photos of naked teenagers. Again, show some proof that the "vile disgusting pedo art" is actually in the podesta home.

Also you're an idiot.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Stupid smart people are the worst

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

id like to see you deniers try to rationalise this one https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/46736

:wtc:

Kids are entertaining. You should have some sometime... actually you probably shouldn't.

Also why would they eschew the coded talk if they were so intent on hiding their activities?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

SteelMentor posted:

Has there ever been any academic work into why conspiracy theorists are obsessed in reading secret codes and messages in completely innocuous things? It's completely bonkers to me that people would honestly think that the Super Secret Illuminati Shadow Communist Lizards would go through all the trouble to hide their existence... only to leave loving easter eggs everywhere like it's a goddamn video game.

I know the human brain tends to look for patterns, even if there's none to be found, but surely there's an upper limit.

Schizophrenia

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Data Graham posted:

Pity the redditor who has forgotten being that kid in the pool, with the parents/grandparents lounging on the side cheering him on.

Or he never had that and that's why his world view is the way it is :smith:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have thousands of back and forth emails with my wife from over the years.

Also: seek help.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
What do flat earthers say about the easily observable universe through telescopes and even binoculars that show how everything moves and that just about everything else out there is a sphere and everything moves in orbital patterns? Or do they just not say anything?

Or even how do they explain the existence of something as fundamental as a horizon? It seems like such an easy thing to disprove. I don't get it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I thought it was in the liner of the box, not the juice itself.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

FecLives posted:

This has been argued endlessly. The buildings were designed to withstand two 707 impacts. Building 7 collapses on its own?

My dad used to get drunk and over stoke the fireplace. I remember watching the grate get red orange and slowly sag under the weight of the oak logs. Later on in welding class I learned where steel moves. Steel resists movement well above 1800 degrees. It moves very slowly when it deforms. There is only one steel framed building collapse. The building was fully involved and didn't have the anti draft measures to prevent significant oxygen flow to fire which burned for 24 hours, the top 10 floors collapsed on one side, there are pics, etc.

The wood stove doesn't collapse.

The wood stove would probably collapse with the weight of a loving skyscraper on top of it though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

The Chairman posted:

There are two ways that a structural member can fail:
  • rupture/yielding, where the material shatters or tears or crushes
  • instability, where the member suddenly buckles or changes shape and can no longer hold any load, despite the material remaining whole

For columns, buckling (type 2) happens at a much lower applied load than compression yielding (type 1), and the effect is exacerbated the more slender the column gets. You can increase a column's resistance to buckling by bracing it sideways with horizontal beams; the longest distance between horizontal supports is the column's "unsupported length". The buckling equation is critical load = pi^2 * material strength * geometry factor / unsupported length^2, so doubling a column's unsupported length reduces the critical load by 75%.

Building 7 was built over a Con Edison substation, which severely limited the footprint of the interior columns in the tower, so they compensated by having relatively large columns carry larger floor areas. One column in particular, Column 79, carried a significant amount of the floor loads on the northwest corner of the building.

When the fire started, it caused the horizontal floor trusses on the affected floors to distort and loosen from their connections to the columns. Eventually, one truss pulled away from Column 79 altogether and collapsed into the floors below it, knocking those lower floors free of the column as well.

Column 79, now only a fraction as strong as before because of its much longer unsupported length, immediately buckled, dragging all the other floor trusses still connected to it downwards, which then caused a cascading series of failures that eventually brought down the rest of the interior columns. Finally, the exterior facade fell in on itself without anything holding it up any more.

Your "science" doesn't mean anything because my dad's wood stove didn't collapse even though the log supports were plenty hot. Checkmate, poindexter.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Wow twice in a month has to be a recent record for this thread, right?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
False flags are not a common occurrence though...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

zakharov posted:

Has this thread ever caught a moon truther? They are my favorites.

Moon landing or mere existence of the moon?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Can we not?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
While I don't agree with it, I'd like to experience one day in your version of reality. It's fascinating.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Triskelli posted:

If your mother is a flat-earther you can just buy a go-pro and a weather balloon to prove the earth is curved.

The atmosphere causes lens distortions that high up. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

fishmech posted:

No, he absolutely wasn't.

Care to back that up? My most prominent memories of Art Bell are things like "rods" (these long mostly invisible flying giant snake things), Hale-Bopp, some lady that claimed to be having sex with these reptilian alien dudes, a time traveler, people who could do astral projection and remote viewing, and some bottomless pit.

• Locked thread