Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

1st AD posted:

The worst ones are the architects for truth or whoever who claim that the WTC towers were filled with thermite or some other explosives and there was a timed demolition coinciding with the towers being struck.

Like the whole idea of that seems dumb because it would take hundreds if not thousands of contractors to be working on that and more than a decade later none of them talks or were all killed?

What I never understood about the "controlled demolition" theory is if they were just going to blow up the towers with explosives, why bother with the planes? Or, if you're going to fly planes into the buildings, why bother with the explosives? Either of these events on their own would suffice as a massive terrorist attack worthy of retaliation.

Gen. Ripper posted:

I read once that people latch on to conspiracy theories like NWO KILLED JFK :byodood: and HOLOGRAPHIC PLANES ON 9/11 :byodame: because the alternatives-that some nut with a rifle can kill the President or that a bunch of guys with box cutters can destroy the WTC and kill thousands of people-are really inducive to paranoia. I think that accurately explains the appeal of 9/11 and other conspiracy theories.

This is pretty much correct. It's the same reason some people were babbling about "crisis actors" playing the part of the dead and injured after the Sandy Hook massacre and the Boston marathon bombing. They simply can't accept that so few people have the capability to kill so many for seemingly no reason. It has to be an elaborate, stage-managed production meant to fool everyone except an enlightened few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

OneEightHundred posted:

I think the theory is that the planes weren't enough to down the towers, and that using explosives alone to down them would have required either more explosive or more sophisticated placement than could plausibly be disguised as a terrorist attack.

Right. Which is stupid, because the planes didn't even have to bring down the towers. Two fully-fueled hijacked airliners slamming into the twin towers was plenty good enough of a terrorist attack in itself, whether the towers collapsed or not.

It seems like conspiracy theorists don't grasp this though.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Prester John posted:

Literally medication. No exaggeration. Three months on psych meds and just not paying attention to the stuff and all the conspiracy theory stuff was out of my system. I went from "Alex Jones is an amazing freedom fighter" to "Christ gently caress what was I thinking, this guy is a lunatic".

Speaking of Alex Jones being a lunatic:

quote:

On his Tuesday radio show, Jones said that efforts to have Syria place their chemical weapons under the control of the international community was a United Nations conspiracy to “come into any country they want, that has any type of weapons systems — and call them WMDs, and then dismantle that country’s infrastructure.”

“But it’s the globalists here running my life, that’s why they’re my front-and-center problem,” he said. “Because they are the biggest, most organized, eugenics-based, scientific dictatorship, trans-humanists at the top that plan the extinction of almost everybody and a new species to rise up or humans merged with machines.”

“That’s their religion, and no one’s discussing that,” Jones added. “Everyone is going to be deindustrialized, everyone is going to be put back into the Stone Age and controlled. And Obama and the globalists and the robber barons, they’re going to fly around in their jetcopters and their Air Forces Ones and their red carpets, like gods above us. And they’re going to get the life-extension technologies.”

His poo poo goes way beyond your run-of-the-mill conspiracy theory and gets into schizophrenic paranoia, disordered thinking and word-salad nonsense.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Yeah, people at every level of the military and government were reporting all sorts of bad info to each other that day. Hell everybody was. People were saying New York had been nuked or was "gone." Time rapidly brought perspective.

I distinctly remember hearing erroneous reports about there being 12 more hijacked airliners in the sky, along with the State Department being car-bombed and the National Mall being on fire.

Of course all of these turned out not to be true, but to a conspiracy theorist any retracted initial report is a sign of a cover-up in progress.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

It makes total sense to destroy a building and steal all of the very heavy gold out of the basement in the nick of time rather than a scheme that, you know, doesn't involve creating a massive catastrophe directly over your target. Bank robbers are well known for completely destroying the bank with explosives after they rob it, to remove evidence.

Not to mention the fact that carrying out the most spectacular terrorist attack in history would attract every single police officer in the city to the scene, which is exactly what you want when you're trying to pull off a heist.

• Locked thread