Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!
It isn't quite a conspiracy theory, but the idea that Britain was settled by the refugees of the Trojan War goes back to before the printing press. And I've had people tell me about it with a straight face as if it were fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!

Deep Thought posted:

This pathologising of beliefs is about as mystified as David Icke's stuff in my opinion.

Well yeah. Someone with an Oedipus Complex would think that. :colbert:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!
There is no freedom from narrative. We structure our thoughts and perceptions according to rules, some of which are explicit and well-defined (formal academics, math and sciences, religious ceremony, etc) and some implicit (social rules, personal thoughts and conversations).

Understanding something doesn't free you from it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!

Lightning Jim posted:

proof that radar is a microwave/high energy device to do...something.

Tell them it's secretly for tracking large objects.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!
I would conspire to make gamer culture into less of a shithole, so sign me up for the secret handshake I guess.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!

Evil Fluffy posted:

D&D wouldn't help. They'd just want to play a Paladin and be a literal white knight. :rolldice:

An overzealous Paladin of Diversity would be a pretty rad character, actually :allears:

e: "Look, the Orcs and the villagers are just going to have to sit down and work out their differences like rational adults. Or I will smite the poo poo out of the lot of them."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!
Yeah gently caress you rear end in a top hat, I want to pretend this right-wing meme that exists to be used by racists, etc, to attack anyone who calls their bullshit is an actual legit thing and not more pure BS that never existed outside of a few obscure blogs that got mocked out of existence years ago.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!

SocketWrench posted:

Well, McCain's saving grace is that law was signed in prior to his birth that US bases count as American Territory no matter where they are, same as US Embassies. Basically all territory under Federal control (including naval ships) are US territory.
Obama they went after because a foreign sounding name and he's black and he's Democrat and he talks sense instead of fruit loopy Dubya war war war means he must be a dirty foreigner despite all the records saying otherwise. I personally think it's the Republican loons trying to cope with a loss more than racism, the racism angle just pops up because these people are morons and the best slam they can come up with is "hurr hurr dirty arab friend of the family". Kinda like when morons try to insult the UK and mention WWI and WWII being the US saving their asses, insulting Germans with some slam about Nazis, and bitching about Jews being money hungry, hook nosed bastards and concentration camps.

Alternatively, it could just be racism. In which case you would be apologizing for racism.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!

SocketWrench posted:

I'm not trying to apologize, I'm trying to make sense out of it given the history of conservative nutjobs. I do admit they are racist. But they are also insanely anti-democrat. Hell, look how they treated Clinton and he was plenty white.

How come people like you demand a hard line stance on poo poo? you either have to be this or you are that, there are no shades between.

Because you're quite eager to find some way to say that it isn't "just" racism, or to find something that makes it about something else. Changing the topic and grasping for more comfortable explanations for racist behaviour isn't the same thing as nuance.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!

Jack Gladney posted:

Though he may be the first artist whose chosen medium is "photoshop."

Uh, that's a little like being amazed at an artist who works with "paint" dude.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!
If we're going to play who was a bad/not leftist, let's have real fun:

Was Mao the worse leftist for being Mao, or was Deng worse for basically ushering in capitalism in China?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!
So basically Mad Max was off on one important detail: everyone would have plenty of the same drat truck.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!

twistedmentat posted:

It's more about apple not giving a gently caress about people who haven't bought a new phone in 4 years rather than some plot to force people to line up and buy new phones release day.

JUst, loving android users I know get really loving smug every time a new iPhone comes out, as if their choice of consumer product is the moral, and rebellious choice. "I've never seen anyone line up for an Galaxy :smug:". More Androids are sold than iphones, so I'm not sure what is going on. But yea, that smugness turns into an honest belief that Apple is programing into all iOS's an obsolescence to force everyone to go out and spend $600 on a new phone on release day.

Anyways, this is the craziest thing I've seen in the CT FB group i'm in
http://i.imgur.com/O9sCUSL.jpg

I reciginzed the name as being the scientist who the Nation of Islam claims created white people, but the rest is just :psyduck: I wish it was a bigger image, but someone pointed out Koran is spelt the english way, so yea that doesn't work.

Looks like a pretty sweet character sheet.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!
The whole ISIS border scenario is just hilarious. The top estimate puts their total strength at 100,000. The entire Islamic State could be teleported into the heart of an American city and they'd still get slaughtered. Possibly before the military proper even got there.

Their priority being to conquer territory on the other side of the world, I doubt they can spare many soldiers for an attack on Texas or whatever.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!
I'm pretty sure people remember it as Berenstein because "stein" is a common Germanic name suffix.

Also most of the detail in our memories are essentially made up.

It's me. I'm the guy stating the obvious instead of posting awesome comedy.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!
I wonder how hard it would be to convince Freemen types that their magic legalese involves straight up magic words?

Like say, you cannot be sued for non-payment of taxes if you invoke the protection of YALADBAOTH instead if entering a plea?

Maybe use some :words: about Masonry? Perhaps -666th degree anti-Masonry.

E: or that other Freemen types are frauds because it is actually "Fremen on the Land."

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 6, 2014

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!
Wait, what about people born by c-section. What laws apply to those who were from their mother's womb untimely ripped?

(:allears:)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!
Maybe the c-section counts as an airforce operation.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I believe it also makes you exempt from witches' prophecies.

Only if the prophecy is that no man of woman born may slay your foe.

This also works if you are a woman or a hobbit.

E: although as worded, Gandalf could have killed Macbeth.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 3, 2015

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!

Modrasone posted:

A quick glance at the always wonderful David Icke Forums shows that they're convinced it's a False Flag and everyone who "died" was an actor. While they agree on that, they are however having a massive slapfight about whether Mossad are behind it or not and some guy is quite upset that other people don't believe he can psychically talk to aliens.

To be fair, I'd be pretty upset if I went to the We Believe Crazy Bullshit forums and no one would believe my crazy bullshit.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!

nomemories posted:

I gently caress the NWO

So, you admit to being in bed with them?

(I can't believe no one beat me to this) :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!

The Chairman posted:

Chechnya is an advanced Soviet arcology whose AI became self-aware

Everything about that conflict would be less depressing and more awesome if that were true.

It would also be a way better conspiracy theory than most of the BS we end up with. Wake up sheeple, the Robot War is already here :tinfoil:

• Locked thread