Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
I've not had time to read the whole thread, so apologies if this has already been covered - I don't buy the 'they let happen as an excuse to invade Iraq' angle. There are far better reasons that could more easily of been manufactured (there's evidence, for example, that Saddam was set up to believe it would be just fine to invade Kuwait without intervention).

That's probably already been covered, but what's interesting is that Al Queda and terrorism just wasn't in the UK narrative. It was always about Sadam's ability and desire to attack others in the region. That's why it always sounds strange to me when Americana say 9/11 was an excuse to attack Iraq. No one wqs even suggesting a link in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
^^^ no. At temperatures up to 1369c steel is a solid. At 1370c it instantly turns into a liquid. Duh.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm pretty sure people remember it as Berenstein because "stein" is a common Germanic name suffix.

Also most of the detail in our memories are essentially made up.

It's me. I'm the guy stating the obvious instead of posting awesome comedy.

That was my thought. It's a classic example of how memory works. You read Bernstein, commit it to memory, and then never actually read the author again.

I have an example of this, while we're sharing stories. I was having a convo with my wife about how the UK singles charts used to be the top 40, rather than the top 30. She told me it had always been the top 30, which I was adamant was not true - they changed it at some point in the late 90s or early 00s because singles sales were abysmal and numbers 31+ were selling bugger all.

2 weeks later we listen to the chart again, it's the top 40, and my wife is adamant that it's always been the top 40, and [url= http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Singles_Chart]she's right.[/URL]

I know there must be some faulty memory going on, but it still creeps me out.

I think what must have happened is similar to the Bernstein effect. I didn't really watch TV or listen to radio while I was at uni in the 00s. I probably heard a top 30 genre chart, assumed they'd changed the format of the singles chart, and never discarded that belief because I wasn't paying attention. As for the convo with my wife, Christ knows!

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 12, 2014

• Locked thread