Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Skylark posted:

It's here. If you're like me, and you are skeptical of a lot of music that these white guys are making, trying to be genuine and "real" in a sea of awareness, fear not - the video demonstrates that blacks had a dark hand in this music as well. Blacks are ignorant of a lot of the intellectual things that inhibit the creation of art. No hesitation - just the beat in the dark skin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBjqUEMlHTY

O__O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Oh my god

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im not going to watch that please provide a full summary skylark

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008
it's the arcade fire's music playing over footage from this film http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Orpheus

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008
its cool that the black people of haiti are essentially interchangeable with the black people of brazil, so long as whatever the black people are doing fits the arcade fire's thematic purposes

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

JohnnyC posted:

it's the arcade fire's music playing over footage from this film http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Orpheus

JohnnyC posted:

its cool that the black people of haiti are essentially interchangeable with the black people of brazil, so long as whatever the black people are doing fits the arcade fire's thematic purposes

lmao holy poo poo

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
the real music for black orpheus is actually good

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

the real music for black orpheus is actually good

hell yeah https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtOLSXFf_MA

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008

quote:

Claude Chaney 5 years ago
Dear Kell, greetings and thank you from the United States. I saw "Orfeu Negro in 1959, at the age of 9, then 40 years later I saw the 1999 version. I love them both, Tom Jobim, Vinicius De Moraes and Caetano Veloso are all musical geniuses and why I consider their brand of Brazilian music to be among the world's best.
Reply · 35 Vote UpVote Down

:unsmith:

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

bag squad
Sep 5, 2008

by T. Finninho
It's likely that the first time you heard the Arcade Fire's monstrously anticipated fourth album Reflektor, you were—to borrow a phrase that Win Butler spits out like a bite of bad food during the record's disco-noir title track—"staring at a screen." This past Thursday, the band posted to Youtube an 85-minute video which cued up the entirety of the double-album to visuals from Marcel Camus' kaleidoscopic 1959 film Black Orpheus. If something that happens on the internet can be considered An Event, then this certainly was one; in the same moment I saw the band's official tweet announcing it, two people simultaneously instant-messaged me the link. It was late afternoon on the East Coast, lunchtime on the West, and in that moment I did exactly what thousands of other people in those and all other time zones did: Stopped what I was doing, closed some extraneous tabs and programs, and listened. The auto-updating comments became a chronicle of knee-jerk first impressions: fervent gushing ("The bassline on 'Joan of Arc' is loving epic"), groan-worthy puns ("I can't even reflect how excited this makes me!"), and egregious misspellings ("I don't understand what all the fuzz is about"). This scene would have seemed bizarre—and likely a little sad— to us decades ago, and it's frightening to imagine how quaint it will seem in the future. But this is how a lot of people at this moment in time—the one in which Reflektor was made, and the one it distrustfully interrogates—discover new music: Alone; together.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

tee hee

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
what IS that man DOING to his TORSO?

Meursault Horny
Sep 9, 2003

lol

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
announcentment:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

bag squad posted:

This past Thursday, the band posted to Youtube an 85-minute video which cued up the entirety of the double-album to visuals from Marcel Camus' kaleidoscopic 1959 film Black Orpheus.

ARE YOU loving WITH ME i thought that was part of skylark's joke

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

ovewriting some of the best musicians ever with minstrely bullshit for the WIN

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
i'm

Platitude
Aug 23, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIFWXXaEEjY

Metempsychosis
Jun 21, 2004

cat is ambivalent to bernhard
hi guys is this where we can talk about the new los campesinos album

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

hahahahah

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Todd Forklift
Dec 19, 2006

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
lm ao im ever gladder i didnt click the video but im still mad

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Metempsychosis posted:

hi guys is this where we can talk about the new los campesinos album

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008

gently caress

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

haha good

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

“I am black; I am in total fusion with the world, in sympathetic affinity with the earth, losing my id in the heart of the cosmos -- and the white man, however intelligent he may be, is incapable of understanding Louis Armstrong or songs from the Congo. I am black, not because of a curse, but because my skin has been able to capture all the cosmic effluvia. I am truly a drop of sun under the earth.”
-Frantz Fanon, 1952

What I've got, you've got to get it put it in you
Reeling with the feeling, don't stop continue

-Red Hot Chili Peppers, 1991

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

omg

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

god drat it

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008

swamp waste posted:

“I am black; I am in total fusion with the world, in sympathetic affinity with the earth, losing my id in the heart of the cosmos -- and the white man, however intelligent he may be, is incapable of understanding Louis Armstrong or songs from the Congo. I am black, not because of a curse, but because my skin has been able to capture all the cosmic effluvia. I am truly a drop of sun under the earth.”
-Frantz Fanon, 1952

a bitter orc
Nov 5, 2009

swamp waste posted:

-Frantz Fanon, 1952

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
"See you on the other side..."
-me as I drop the needle on Reflektor about to blow my bougie friends little minds in the dorm room

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

swamp waste posted:

-Frantz Fanon, 1952

lmao

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

swamp waste posted:

-Frantz Fanon, 1952

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

swamp waste posted:

-Frantz Fanon, 1952

llololol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it

swamp waste posted:

-Frantz Fanon, 1952

• Locked thread