Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
So, we seem to be in a similar situation as last year. Killdozers got their group that's full(and I completely understand why, this is not a complaint at that in any way) and the babydozers are, well, stillborn. Other than me and the GM we got one application waiting and that's it. Two(+one) members...

...I think I'm gonna look for a new team because drop in games are only so fun as a guy who primarly play goaltender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

I'm a university student with two kids and a side gig as high school substitute, I think you don't have to worry about spending time in the game. He way I see it the babydozers are for the goons who are not good enough to be in the popular kids club.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Alright, I'll be setting up an entirely fresh SASHL team as a real alternative for those of us with inactive or no clubs. Seriousness level is that we have fun but still try to win the games, no skill prerequisites required. Name is still undecided, I'll post here when I figure one out.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Club for the Senior Aged
Abbreviation : CSA
Style of Play: Having fun and injuring people while also trying to win
Roster Size: Until we're too many to handle
GM:
"C": Rutkowski/forutkowski, Any
"A": flaggy12/flaggy12, LW/RW
"A": furnaceface/furnaceface, LD/RD
Roster:
Krypttx/cigarmoustache, LW/C/RW/GK
Xtanstic/xtanstic, LW/C/RW/LD/RD
Jarmak/jarmak, LD/RD/GK
Rutkowski's brother/nFredriksson, C
SilverSeven2009/silverseven2009, ???
Kragger99/kragger99, LD/RD/RW

How to Join
Apply ingame and if you're not friend with forutkowski, send a friend request including your SA username so I know who's who.

But yeah, open for any goons. While I'm Euro I got relatively flexible times so I can usually play until 8-9PM EST.

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 25, 2013

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Also, I've read over my posts in this thread and I realized it might appear like I'm bitter that you're not letting in more goons into the Killdozers. I'm not, seriously. I've been on the Killdozers and been forced to sit out because we already had a full team, I think going with two if we can sustain is a good thing. I might sound angry but I'm not, I'm just not good with this whole internet tone thing. :( I just want to play some club games with cool people avoid the crap that's pubbies.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

And the CSA have just played our first game! Despite heavy lag from our side we managed to get a shutout and a 1-0 win. 100% win rate baby.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Xtanstic posted:

What's a useful position for CSA? Also what's a good position for a baby like myself? I'm assuming fuckups as a winger are minimized compared to C or D.
Any position is welcome but if you're afraid a mistake would cost us the game then A) you're taking the game too seriously and B) a winger is probably the best. But, play smart and for christ's sake don't try to carry the puck into their zone by the sideboards when there's 2+ dudes waiting to throw a big hit on ya.

Also, always backcheck. It doesn't matter if you're stuck behind their net when they cross our blueline, always backcheck. The biggest way to be a waste of space is to cherrypick by their blueline continiously.

But if you want a challenge but hate taking faceoffs then D is really fun and really not that much harder. As long as you don't pinch bad you should be fine. From the Hockey Player Thread:

xzzy posted:

It took me a good three or four games of messing up pinches before the coach pulled me aside and explained how it works: if the guy is fumbling for the puck and/or is not heading up ice, pinch if you think you can beat him. If he has the puck under control and he's skating towards you, just bail out and play defense.

Was simple advice that helped me a lot. I still get burned, but it's due to being slow when skating backwards more than anything.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CSA; game tonight at 23:00 CET/5PM ET?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

I have a lab that runs until 5 EST and I think Im scheduled for lab cleanup today too, so I wont be home until closer to 6pm. If thats no problem Ill just hop on when I get home.
Yeah I'm probably playing until 7-8 EST, got a sick kid at home so I can't work tomorrow anyway.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Alright, we got a couple of games going and only ended up a few points from the division title. Playoffs have started now so I hope I'll see you guys tomorrow too so we can try to win four in a row!

Also, Xtanstic, D was a really good position for you. Despite playing your first EASHL games ever you're already a lot better than a big majority of the pubbies I've seen in drop-in games.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Haha probably shouldn't have written that at 4am. Still, I say we did fine considering our competition was quite a bit experienced than us, we just need to get that zone entry fixed and I need to pick up my backchecking.

The fact that we won the last game by the worst save attempt ever and the GWG being a tapout is not relevant.

We also should continue picking out the smallest non-AI opponent and focus on him more than neccessary, I actually got a hate message from it yesterday. :D

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 20, 2013

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Flaggy posted:

Tried playing with you last night Rutkowski but I didn't get your reply until an hour later, I HATE the EA system. Just have a button that says invite friends. Oh well, I should be on so shoot me an invite and I can play some games, my RW and LW leveled up so I should be over 70 now.

Also post the hate message, we kind of dominated the first game you and I played together.
Ah. Well, I'm ready to play from 4PM ET so if you roll LW, Xtanstic roll RW, Furnaceface roll any D and I roll C(or GK) and Cigarmoustache doesn't get stuck watching lovely NFL we should have a pretty decent grinding crew going.

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 20, 2013

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

There is a roster lineup in one of my posts on the first page that I'm updating daily if there are any changes.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Here is the club page:
http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/clubs/NHL14PS3/11861/overview

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Xtanstic posted:

I'm hoping to get home from work by 6 EST. I have something at 4 that should last 1-1.5 hours. I started grinding LTL last night for some unlocks, but my game froze. I hope it autosaved :(

e: Also, is it impossible to change the camera angle in EASHL mode? It's really hard to stay onside when the zone entry is on the other side of the rink. Also, is there a specific button combo to do a lob/dump in/clear? I just keep flicking the right stick up or doing the wrist shot motion and half the time it's a SOG, which I don't want, since I want to send it in the corner.
You can change the camera options in the customize and then video settings. Also, to do a slapshot pull the stick back before forward and it should be a slap shot. To make it a dump-in do the same outside the offensive zone. To do a slapshot onetimer just hold the stick forward before the puck arrives to you(but is on it's way) and then he'll try to one-time it automatically(based on the hand-eye coordination). Also, turn off auto-aim so you use your directional stick to aim your shots which makes it a bit easier to do dump-ins inzone.

EDIT: Heading ingame to play some drop-ins as practice since I'm not playing goal in the playoffs unless the entire team is on at the same time.

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 20, 2013

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Trying to gather the team.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

drat I think we played a bit too long yesterday because I've slept four hours tonight and I'm tired as hell.

At least I know I'm not going to feel as bad as a certain drunk goaltender though. ;)

EDIT: Just played a game with my brother who ragequit after 4-1 in the early third, accusing me of using glitch goals.

I haven't learned any of the certain glitchgoals in 14 yet. ;_; And he is a dude that use the "pass into goalkeeper" move anyway.

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 21, 2013

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Seniors, game in 20 minutes?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Add me as a friend(forutkowski) and I'll invite you.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Playing goaltender for the CSA:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QmYnUa4e7aE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQmYnUa4e7aE

(I'm bad)

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Alright, apparently our recipe of success is the following:

Put an enforcer on the right wing and watch him rack up goals and penalty minutes
Put a new dude in goal and have one AI defender and another fresh dude as his other D
Put our only offensive dude on the left wing and have him pull all the opposing players after him while also providing a lot of assists
Put an AI on the center position and watch him rack up goals, assists and hits and setting up sick plays

We're now in the second round of the playoffs after breaking out of a twelve game losing streak where we tried to play sensibly.

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 22, 2013

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Time for the playoffs, seniors! :getin:

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Trying to but one didn't respond and the other's Internet crashed or something.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

How much is left of the pigskin abuse because the playoff window closes in like four hours and it would be awesome to see how far we've come.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

I've played games since so jump in and we will give it another go!

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

We haven't started yet but will any minute now.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

So yeah, the reason our opponents become so much better isn't because we go from D10 to D9, it's just bad luck with matchmaking.

How do I know this?

Because I checked some of our earlier opponents and they're from several different divisions. That 420 team we beat 6-3 and outplayed in every single way? They're D7.

It's just EA matchmaking, again.

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 23, 2013

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

My brother wanted to join up with the CSA(who have a new logo and new jerseys, by the way!) so we now got someone who can actually play center and is decent at faceoffs! His PSN is nFredriksson if ya seniors wanna add him.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

It was asked a couple times over the last couple days how my guys have such high ratings despite never winning, so Im stealing and summing up Zip!'s amazing posts on how to do it quickly in Live The Life from the main thread:

1) Create a Center and set difficulty to rookie
2) Set periods to 5 mins and from the options tank all the AI stats while maxing the human ones (where applicable, dont max human injury chance :v:)
3) Start at the draft and play the Memorial Cup, get lots of points so you get drafted first overall
4) Sim first 2 periods, jump in and play the 3rd
5) Get a goal, an assist, crush a dude, and keep your ratings at A+, aim for the season expectations

Repeat a minimum of 50 times, you can sim the rest of the games, and then make sure you win the Cup in your first year for another unlock. A couple more unlock from playing a second season in the same manner. Overall a season takes a couple hours, and while it can get kind of boring, the boosts are why my EASHL dudes went from lumbering oafs to decent dudes that can now crush tiny mans and tiny pucks. :manning:

Note; doing this for the goaltender unlocks is loving horrible and not worth it.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Three consecutive games at drop-in where I posted a 90+ S%!

Up to Veteran 2 now, slowly getting to those superstar levels.

(it's veteran>allstar>superstar, right?)

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 23, 2013

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

That's six eastern right? Cause if so I can probably play one or two.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Just had an awesome game as a goalkeeper. Started with going down 3-0 on three consecutive 3-0 breakaways where both of my D were behind their entire team. Immediatly I set into the mindset that it's just how this game is going to be but then the entire team quit at once.

Queue us(me and the AI) mounting a comeback where it's 3-3 after the first, 5-4 after the second(the AI let through their only 2-0 breakaway during the game leading to their lone goal) and 6-5 full time(their goal came when my game lagged so I didn't actually see it until after it happened).

Normally, those comebacks are fun if a bit degrading on the stats. However, what made this an awesome comeback is because once my team left I somehow got access to their voicechat so I heard their continious raging when they couldn't pierce the heavy-forechecking 1-3-1 trap and promtly spent most of the game shouting at eachother in german. Gotta love that shaudenfraude.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

It's playoff time ya lazy bum seniors, get ingame!

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Alright, we're gathering the crew right now to play the first of hopefully many playoff games. Be there or be benched!

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

I'll give ya one later tonight. I did post one for the babydozers last year but we got an entirely new set now.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Dude you played great at wing. To be honest, you should stay there instead of in the forward position because you did a lot better there.

And none of us is especially high leveled. The highest skaters are at Pro(which isn't that high) and the highest overall is my goaltender at Superstar 1 but goaltender levels doesn't count.

Your biggest hindrance is the lack of mic but you have a good enough sense of the play to compensate for that.

Also, the reason me and nFredriksson mash so well is because we're, well, brothers and know eachother playstyles in and out.

EDIT: Jersey picture is coming up tomorrow because I forgot to take a picture before I went offline.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

I'll start some playoff games around 2PM EST as long as I get at least one other player.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

I sent messages to everyone who was on between 20 CET and 21:30 CET until I said gently caress it and went back to GTA.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

SilverSeven, really sorry about both of us leaving when you joined the dressing room but it's 1:40AM here and I need to sleep and Flaggy just finished his cooking during the game before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Club for the Senior Aged is the group for you then! Send a message to forutkowski and I'll let ya in.

• Locked thread