Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Instant photography is historically the coolest form of photography and is inherently very serious.

The premise is simple, you push a button, and you receive a picture. A concept so simple that it took a genius to make it work. That genius was Edwin Land, an imaging scientist who, along with inventing the polaroid,

just click the wiki link already posted:

played a major role in the development of photographic reconnaissance and intelligence gathering efforts. Projects included: the Genetrix balloon borne cameras, the U2 program, Corona and Samos photographic satellites, and the Manned Orbiting Laboratory. He was a frequent advisor to President Dwight D. Eisenhower on photographic reconnaissance matters.[11]

But isn't the film gone/expensive?
Well, yes, if you want to use the cameras you are thinking of, the classic Polaroids, from the SX-70 to the iconic 600 series. The film for these is no longer produced. Ok technically you could buy Impossible Project film, but don't do that.

So, I can't make instant photos? Why did you make this thread?
You can! And so that I could post the picture of 2pac pickin boogers.

Tell me more.
The range of cameras you can use is actually bigger than the ones you can't use!!! This is thanks to Fuji, as usual, the company that doesn't suck. Fuji has two basic instant photo lines:

-Instax
These cameras are big and look like toys for babies. They are great. These work pretty much just like integral polaroid cameras, you take the picture, it spits it out and it develops before your eyes.
Options include:

The Instax 210, which is enormous, but produces images twice as big as the mini versions. This uses Instax Wide film, and costs about 80 cents per shot.

The mini range. Easier to carry, but still pretty big and still pretty ugly. Uses Instax Mini film.

-Peel-apart, or pack film
FP-100c, 100b, 3000b, 100c45, etc.
This can confuse people when referred to as 'instant' because you take it out of the camera and leave it to devlop for a minute or so, then peel off a cover layer to see your picture. This film can be used in most of the original Land Cameras, which, while less well remembered than their integral cousins, were extremely popular. The Land List is an essential resource for figuring out which ones are worthwhile, and will work with currently produced film.
Was also produced in a 4x5 version, which ruled, but was discontinued last year. :suicide:

Packfilm can be used in:
Land Cameras

Big Shots

Camera backs (Traditionally used for light and exposure tests, now somewhat obsolete in that capacity on medium format cameras, and of limited practical use, since they do not fill the frame. On 4x5 cameras, the image fills the frame and is also awesome.)

There is a lot more to cover, but I'm just going to post some of my favorite images I've shot on instant.
Instax 210

FP-100c45 shot on a Crown Graphic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I use 4x5 packfilm in a Fuji PA-45 or Polaroid 550 back.

Pick A Pack O' Packfilm by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

I also use the smaller 3.25x4.25 packfilm in a Fuji PA-145 or Polaroid 405 back.

Mausoleum by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

If you want to use any of those backs on your 4x5 camera it'll need to have a Graflok back.

I also use 3.25x4.25 packfilm on my RZ67. The back is basically a Polaroid 405 that Mamiya adapted for their purposes. Hasselblad and some other MF camera manufacturers have similar setups.

Amy by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

David by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Test Fujiroid by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Monument Rocks Test by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I caught the instant photography bug about a month ago when I picked up an Instax 210. As someone who doesn't print nearly enough photos, it's a really fantastic experience being able to shoot something and have a one of a kind print to hold moments later. This is pretty much what happens when you show up somewhere with an Instax.

I also recently rescued a Polaroid 420 Land Camera from my grandparents' basement. I should be getting a couple packs of FP3000B in the mail pretty soon! :toot:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
fp-3000b45 (yes that does mean ISO 3000)

aliencowboy posted:

This is pretty much what happens when you show up somewhere with an Instax.

That is scary accurate.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
My two instant shooters, the modified 103 Land Camera with an Ektar 127mm mounted on the front, and the original Instax 100 wide, held together with gaffer tape:

Land Camera Pre-mod, and I have to admit I've changed my preference to liking the Silk version of the film over the regular:

Twist by mr_student, on Flickr

Singapore Airport by mr_student, on Flickr

Instax 100:

Yosemite by mr_student, on Flickr

Edinburgh corner by mr_student, on Flickr

These were taken with my Polaroid back for my Bronica SQ-Ai:

Little wheat by mr_student, on Flickr

Wheat flow by mr_student, on Flickr

Boiling away by mr_student, on Flickr

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

One does not simply use the Slayer tag for Instax threads :colbert:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SoundMonkey posted:

god soundmonkey hates us all

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

god soundmonkey hates us all

Hail satan?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

SoundMonkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d7ygm1nlD4

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Polaroid 420 + FP3000B

Anyone with a Land Camera have any problems with too much pressure from the prongs on the film pack? It was almost impossible to pull the first few exposures without ripping off tabs.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 14, 2013

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Yep I had that problem, easily fixed by snapping of the two little arms that apply pressure to the back of the film pack. Reason why is that the Polaroid film packs were rigid metal, while the modern Fuji are very flexible plastic, which results in getting loving developer on everything and snapping tabs getting the film out.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Fuji Instax is pretty fun.

img004.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img002.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Bouncing the Instax's on camera flash can bring even your douchiest of self-portraits to life.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I recently moved into an apartment on the other side of town. I think I like the view across the street a lot more here.

img039.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Also more parks just up the road.

img041.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img040.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Instax is pretty fantastic.

Silver City, 2013 by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

I have some amazon birthday money and I'm thinkin about buying an instax 210 because this looks fun as hell, what are yall scanning with?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

slardel posted:

I have some amazon birthday money and I'm thinkin about buying an instax 210 because this looks fun as hell, what are yall scanning with?

Any flatbed. It's not like you're gonna enlarge it (don't).
e: Seriously though, I try to upload jpegs that display (for me) roughly the size of the actual print, seeing a 1600px instax shot feels all sorts of strange.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

slardel posted:

My D90, SB-700, and a last-gen macro lens.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

slardel posted:

I use a flatbed scanner too. Doesn't need to be a film scanner or anything, anything that scans will work.

Mostly I just sit there and look at the pile of pictures though, they look so nice in person.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
That's it! I'm ordering an Instax 210 this week! Hopefully get in time for my camping trip next weekend.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

Mostly I just sit there and look at the pile of pictures though, they look so nice in person.

Basically this. Any Instax scans you see on the web look way better in person. So glossy and shiny.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

How do you guys scan your instant photos so well? If I use a scanner I get a dark mess. If I photograph the photo, I get reflections....
Halp!

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Whitezombi posted:

That's it! I'm ordering an Instax 210 this week! Hopefully get in time for my camping trip next weekend.

Check craigslist. You can usually find a 200/210 with a few packs of film that was only used for a single wedding or family reunion and never touched again. It's often worth it just for the film!

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
hmm. I've got a polaroid back for my GS-1, I should probably look into using it.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

feigning interest posted:

Check craigslist. You can usually find a 200/210 with a few packs of film that was only used for a single wedding or family reunion and never touched again. It's often worth it just for the film!

I've been watching Craigslist for a while now and I've seen nothing. Ordered the 210 & it should be here Wednesday!

Oh yeah. I have some old Polaroids I'll scan and post. I shot this in 2009 - I do not remember the camera or the film.

What a wonderful night... by natebol, on Flickr

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 16, 2013

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

One of my favorite things about instant photography is, well, the instant physicality and uniqueness of each photo. I always try and bring twice as many sheets as I want to shoot, because people want them, or I want to give them away. Often when I see someone I don't see often or haven't seen in a while, I'll take a picture of them for me, and they take one of me, for them. :)

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

New Toy! Instax 210 by natebol, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Also great for sharing kidpix:

kids' table by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

drat. Seems my instax is having issues. First shot black tab came out and got stuck 1/2 way. Opened up the camera and pulled it out. Nothing happens at all now. It makes noise but nothing comes out. :/

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Whitezombi posted:

drat. Seems my instax is having issues. First shot black tab came out and got stuck 1/2 way. Opened up the camera and pulled it out. Nothing happens at all now. It makes noise but nothing comes out. :/

Uh oh, hope you can return it, sounds like either the gears aren't engaging the pack, or filmgate is blocked. :-/

Here's what I got from an ebay instax I was planning to take to a wedding (until I saw this):

Sure, I had some fun after figuring out that it was consistent, but I had no camera for the wedding. :negative:

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Reichstag posted:

Uh oh, hope you can return it, sounds like either the gears aren't engaging the pack, or filmgate is blocked. :-/

Here's what I got from an ebay instax I was planning to take to a wedding (until I saw this):

Sure, I had some fun after figuring out that it was consistent, but I had no camera for the wedding. :negative:

God loving drat. I had a friend get for me from Amazon. Not sure what their return policy is. I'm out a loving pack of film cause i'm sure its all exposed now. gently caress.

Yep - it's broken. The roller at the top is not rolling properly. :/

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 21, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Whitezombi posted:

God loving drat. I had a friend get for me from Amazon. Not sure what their return policy is. I'm out a loving pack of film cause i'm sure its all exposed now. gently caress.

Yep - it's broken. The roller at the top is not rolling properly. :/

If you ordered from amazon I bet you could return both the camera and the film pack. Just tell em that they're both broken and that you want a replacement, they'll give you a prepaid UPS label and you just mail it back in.

Since it's broken Amazon will probably eat the cost of the shipping too.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

If you ordered from amazon I bet you could return both the camera and the film pack. Just tell em that they're both broken and that you want a replacement, they'll give you a prepaid UPS label and you just mail it back in.

Since it's broken Amazon will probably eat the cost of the shipping too.

Yeah. It seems pretty easy. Just got back from camping and will do it tonight or tomorrow.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

My 210 came and I'm stoked to go out with it, took a few shots around my apartment/outside and it really is something special, hope you get your situation sorted out whitezombi!

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

slardel posted:

My 210 came and I'm stoked to go out with it, took a few shots around my apartment/outside and it really is something special, hope you get your situation sorted out whitezombi!

New 210 will be here tomorrow!

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Spedman posted:

My two instant shooters, the modified 103 Land Camera with an Ektar 127mm mounted on the front, and the original Instax 100 wide, held together with gaffer tape:

How did you go about changing the lenses on the 103? I have a 230 that's in a good state but the meter is all wonky and the thing is auto-only, but if I could fit a LF lens on it... :heysexy:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Primo Itch posted:

How did you go about changing the lenses on the 103? I have a 230 that's in a good state but the meter is all wonky and the thing is auto-only, but if I could fit a LF lens on it... :heysexy:

This is where I got the rough details on how to do it, pretty easy conversion if you've got something like a Dremel to play with:
http://www.instantoptions.com/conversions/250b/

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

im in love :swoon: (lovely iphone 'scans')

untitled instant by s-bothun, on Flickr

untitled instant by s-bothun, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Polaroid Land Camera 450 by natebol, on Flickr

Just picked this up for $40. :fap:

It's in excellent condition! Needs a little cleaning a battery and some Fuji Pack Film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

That is a frickn' rad setup, just check to make sure the shutter is good by putting your hand on the sensor, fire the shutter, and you should hear two loud clicks.

• Locked thread