Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
I need to get batteries. Trying to decide if I should convert it to AAAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

It is a very easy mod, that will save you money in the long run.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Very easy.

$1.49 at RadioShack and a few min of my time.

:taco:

Spedman posted:

That is a frickn' rad setup, just check to make sure the shutter is good by putting your hand on the sensor, fire the shutter, and you should hear two loud clicks.

I hear 2 loud clicks with OR without my hand over the sensor. Is this an issue?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Whitezombi posted:

Polaroid Land Camera 450 by natebol, on Flickr

Just picked this up for $40. :fap:

It's in excellent condition! Needs a little cleaning a battery and some Fuji Pack Film.

That's pretty great for $40. I'm jealous-- I've been hunting for a 250 for under $50 for a couple months now.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

I gave it a good cleaning and got it converted over to AAAs. Ordered a couple of packs of FP-3000B & will order some FP-100C when B&H opens again. I want to use the 664 that came with it but want to make sure the camera works first.

What should I do to get the camera ready to use the Fuji Film packs? Any other tips?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Whitezombi posted:

I hear 2 loud clicks with OR without my hand over the sensor. Is this an issue?

Basically you should get two loud clicks with a long exposure, so take it outside and try covered and uncovered. But don't try this until you've done the battery conversion. But the fact you've even got two clicks regardless is a good sign.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

I think I am good to go! Just waiting on film.

:stare:
ANDY WARHOL'S PERSONALLY USED POLAROID "BIG SHOT" CAMERA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANDY-WARHOLS-PERSONALLY-USED-POLAROID-BIG-SHOT-CAMERA-/331021124025

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

quote:

"Does not ship to United Kingdom"
Bollocks to that.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I cant get a hang of framing accurately with my Mamiya at minimum focusing distance, and a fast lens. Practice and burned money makes perfect.

img011 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

img009 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Whitezombi posted:

I think I am good to go! Just waiting on film.

:stare:
ANDY WARHOL'S PERSONALLY USED POLAROID "BIG SHOT" CAMERA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANDY-WARHOLS-PERSONALLY-USED-POLAROID-BIG-SHOT-CAMERA-/331021124025

Oh the dick pix that one has seen....

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

The "big shot".

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

My mom gave me this bag a while back. I looked at it and thought WTF am I going to do with this!?

Untitled by natebol, on Flickr

My 450 and 210 fit perfectly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Amazon are selling 210s for $60, which is almost impulse buy territory if the film wasn't so loving expensive :smithicide:

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

I've been having fun driving around with an empty photo album in the passenger seat. I'm enjoying some of the weird looks I've caught instaxin in public. I want to get a real scanner soon.

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.

IMG_1424 by boydy88, on Flickr

IMG_1414 by boydy88, on Flickr

IMG_1419 by boydy88, on Flickr

IMG_1417 by boydy88, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

My Land Camera 450 works!!!! I shot the Polaroid 644 that I got with the camera and it was trash. Popped in a pack of FP-3000B. First shot came out black cause I'm an idiot and didn't set the exposure properly. After that 2 shots came out a little dark so I compensated for that.

If you are going to keep the negatives of B&W film then you should immediately pull all of the extra stuff off of them. I just learned if you do not it will pull some of the image off with it. :/

One of my first shots out of my Land Camera 450! by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/natebol

1st shot! by natebol, on Flickr

I also picked up A Polaroid Colorpack II for $2. Cleaned it up and ready to shoot with it.

Another new toy! Polaroid Colorpack II. $2 at a thrift store. by natebol, on Flickr

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 5, 2013

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.
I have a pretty old canon scanner and every time I scan a photo it looks very soft when the print looks pretty sharp, had to take photos of them with a digital camera. Would a newer scanner make a difference or do I have to do something special when scanning?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

If you're shooting instant film for sharp digital conversions, you're going to have a lot of headaches ahead of you. Find other ways to work with the aesthetic. Even print scans shot on large and medium format camera backs are relatively soft.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 5, 2013

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Are you enlarging the scan? Because these prints are never intended to be any bigger than the original, the lenses don't need to be very sharp. Additionally, most scanners don't actually focus directly on the platen for some reason.
I've enlarged fp-100c45 scans to 8x10 before (shot through a Wollensak Raptar 135/4.7 though), and they looked pretty good, if soft. Two wide open portraits. They were scanned on the local lab's Epson 10000XL, but then slightly ruined by the operator 'fixing' the subjects' skin poorly and excessively, and their faces were the only things in critical focus. Their parents were totally satisfied with the final results though.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I think the emulsion it's self doesn't have particularly high acutance, as since changing the plastic lens on my land camera to a large format glass lens I haven't seen a massive improvement in the overall sharpness of the images. But if you're using instant for sharpness you're doin' it wrong. The large format lens does give full control over the exposure though.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.
Took the plunge last month and got the Instax 210:

Also, does anyone own the Polaroid 405 back, or that Fuji PA-145 back? I'm thinking of getting one for my 4x5.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

PushingKingston posted:

Took the plunge last month and got the Instax 210:

Also, does anyone own the Polaroid 405 back, or that Fuji PA-145 back? I'm thinking of getting one for my 4x5.

I own one and enjoy using it occasionally. Be warned - prices have skyrocketed since the discontinuation of the 4x5 Fuji packfilm. I got mine just before that for $100 - now they cost twice as much.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I'm surprised how well the instax photos using flash look. Mine just nukes everything.

Meanwhile I am still digging the FP-100c

img015 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

img020 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

I'm loving the instant cameras! Kids love it - they are completely blown away.

I am having one issue - my Land Camera 450 is underexposing FP-3000B big time. Battery is fine and settings are correct. I read that it seems to be an issue with them but they don't seem to have an issue with FP-100C. Going to try some sort of ND filter over the eye and see if it helps.

Best Friends by natebol, on Flickr

Instax 210 shots.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I hope you've checked the exposure compensation dial on the front.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

dukeku posted:

I hope you've checked the exposure compensation dial on the front.

Yes I did. That first image was taken with lighten turned to the middle setting.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I always shoot my FP3000B at the brightest setting. My shots taken at the middle setting look similar to yours.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
How do all of you Instax 210 folks deal with the flash? It seems to want to fire in even what I think of as great lighting conditions (bright, overcast day), completely washing out the subject. Granted I've only taken a handful of pictures with it. What if I were to tape over the flash? At $1 per photo I'd much rather ask the internet than experiment with it myself.

aliencowboy posted:

Bouncing the Instax's on camera flash can bring even your douchiest of self-portraits to life.

Wow, was that with the 210? If so, I'm really looking forward to see what I'll be able to push this thing to do.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I just let the camera do what it's gonna do because jesus christ it's a fully automatic camera, buddy. Just cover the flash one time and find out, you can't spend less than a dollar to find out?

I'm shooting a lot of instax wide right now because my grandma is visiting. :)

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

LargeHadron posted:

Wow, was that with the 210? If so, I'm really looking forward to see what I'll be able to push this thing to do.

This was with the closeup filter. I was standing maybe a little more than 2ft camera left of my bathroom mirror. I just used a few sheets of paper to bounce the automatic flash to the mirror. It was a pretty awkward juggle holding everything right. I wouldn't recommend it as a selling point for an Instax, it's really not what the camera was built for. I just wanted to experiment. If you want more control with your instant film, there are better ways of doing it with FP100C.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I'm pretty happy with these. I think I'll get used to the new camera.

scan0002 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

scan0003 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

I'm addicted to instant photography. Thanks a lot Reichstag.

Polaroid Colorpack II

Polaroid Land Camera 450

Instax 210

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Anyone had experience with having their FP-100/3000 film x-rayed at the airport? Documentation states that it shouldn't be put in checked in baggage, and needs to be kept in a carry-on, but that stuff gets zapped as well....

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Putrid Grin posted:

Anyone had experience with having their FP-100/3000 film x-rayed at the airport? Documentation states that it shouldn't be put in checked in baggage, and needs to be kept in a carry-on, but that stuff gets zapped as well....

I've dragged fp-100c across the globe and back and not had any problems with fogging, while having it in my carry on baggage. Also, I've put Instax film (iso 800) in my checked baggage flying from Aus to US and not had any fogging either.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

The Polaroid Big Shot. I recommend this camera to anyone thinking about getting into instant photography. Also try the Polaroid Colorpack II. Both are light, really easy to use and look cool as hell. Big Shots run around $40-$50 on ebay (I found one for $10!) and Colorpack II is $10-$15 on ebay. Big Shot uses Magic Cubes for flash but you can shoot with it when its sunny out or in bright light. I am working on a way to fire an electronic flash. The Colorpack II uses regular flashcubes. Haven't shot anything with flashcubes yet. The only bad thing about the Colorpack II is that it requires batteries and most of the ones I have seen have a lot of corrosion in the battery compartment. Easy to take apart and clean tho.

Big Shot.

Colorpack II.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

They obviously shoot the Fuji FP films? I've been looking for a replacement for my modified Land Camera, I miss having the close focus.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Spedman posted:

They obviously shoot the Fuji FP films? I've been looking for a replacement for my modified Land Camera, I miss having the close focus.

Yes they shoot Fuji FP film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Scan_20131104.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

scanner was dusty, didn't care.

• Locked thread