Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Who is John Colt?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Good job getting it all in before the new page. :)

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
Christ, if you're going to write that many words about a made-up adventure novel, why not just write a loving adventure novel?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I've never seen so many words written about something so pointless before and the thing in question not even existing on top of that.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

This is what Borges was writing about. This is Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius reified.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 11, 2014

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

The Sin of Onan posted:

Christ, if you're going to write that many words about a made-up adventure novel, why not just write a loving adventure novel?

Because that requires thinking and plotting and effort. It's much easier to choose a random trope and make up some bullshit that doesn't actually have to mesh with another guy's random bullshit.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

A Bystander posted:

I've never seen so many words written about something so pointless before and the thing in question not even existing on top of that.

Besides Dozerfleet that is.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

cptn_dr posted:

This is what Borges was writing about. This is Tlön Uqbar, Orbis Tertius reified.

The universe (which others call the Library) is composed of an indefinite and perhaps infinite number of tropes, with vast ponies in between, supported by nothing.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

The previous page does not load on mobile.

This is a blessing.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm fairly certain I got a Bachelors degree for writing less than that.

Although I did laugh at "Colt Leader"

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
You just posted, by my count, 142,404 words about pony fanfiction to the previous page. That is longer than A Tale of Two Cities. May god have mercy on your soul.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

Swan Oat posted:

You just posted, by my count, 142,404 words about pony fanfiction to the previous page. That is longer than A Tale of Two Cities. May god have mercy on your soul.

And now all we have to do is actually write it!

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

jesus loving christ what the hell is all of that.

For someone who doesn't have the time or the patience to read all of that - is that a real fanfiction or something or is it pages upon pages upon pages of rubbish written about a one-off joke in a cartoon for young children?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I'm actually curious, did anyone read it? Any of it? Parts of it? I would love absurd highlights but holy poo poo that is a lot of words to process.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

MinistryofLard posted:

For someone who doesn't have the time or the patience to read all of that - is that a real fanfiction or something or is it pages upon pages upon pages of rubbish written about a one-off joke in a cartoon for young children?
The latter, and I'm honestly not even sure that it was in the cartoon itself.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The latter, and I'm honestly not even sure that it was in the cartoon itself.

Its the equivalent of writing a series of novels about Itchy and Scratchy.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

MinistryofLard posted:

Dude this was clearly explained near the end of post #2 are you even paying attention come ON

Lottery of Babylon posted:

For more information on this classic series of Equestrian literature, click here. This title is not real and is actually a page for fun, inspired by a Show Within a Show book introduced in the episode "Read It And Weep" from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Add whatever you like so long as it fits into at least the first book of the series (from the episode), and make sure it fits in the genre. Keep in mind also that the readers in the world of Equestria, and possibly the author, are ponies, and edit your entries accordingly. Tropers have decided to STICK WITH THE 18-VOLUME MAXIMUM NUMBER OF VOLUMES FOR THE CANON STORY, since there were 16 books on the shelf Twilight got it from along with the canon titles provided in Daring Don't, and adding more and more volumes would make this page too long and confuse new tropers. Tropers can add Expanded Universe material with a bit more leniency, as long as they clearly identify such additions as Expanded Universe titles. Please remember that Daring Do Expanded Universe works are not mandated to be consistent with each other (similar to the Star Trek Expanded Universe).

Phew good thing they kept the page length down by adding an "Expanded Universe" subheader, otherwise it could have gotten out of hand

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Anticheese posted:

Its the equivalent of writing a series of novels about Itchy and Scratchy.
That's the thing, though; it's not even fanfiction. They're literally compiling multiple novels' worth of text about stories that nobody has even written.

The Sin of Onan posted:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

quote:

pony indiana jones

holy fuuuuuck :unsmigghh:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sham bam bamina! posted:

That's the thing, though; it's not even fanfiction. They're literally compiling multiple novels' worth of text about stories that nobody has even written.

:psyboom:

Just when I thought a massive page on a pony fanfic could not get any more pathetic and insane.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

This is a triumph of post modern outsider art.

Or the poster child for undiagnosed autism. Hell, it could be both.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ctrl-F

Type in "Rape"

10 Results

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Dr Pepper posted:

Ctrl-F

Type in "Rape"

10 Results

At least it just seems to be mind rape.

quote:

There are rumors floating around that the scene where Jackhammer beats Shudder was originally intended to have heavy implications that he had raped her as well, but the writer hasn't said a word about it. Though, recently, a lot of people are claiming this is a rumor started to combat the common portrayal of Rail as a rapist in fanfiction.

I take that back.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Dr Pepper posted:

Ctrl-F

Type in "Rape"

10 Results

I'm also going to choose to believe that those are false positives from words like "scrape", though I'm on my phone so I (thankfully) can't check.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I added a space before the "R"

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I'm also going to choose to believe that those are false positives from words like "scrape", though I'm on my phone so I (thankfully) can't check.

Rape with a space prior to it has the same number of results as it does without the space.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

Ctrl-F

Type in "Rape"

10 Results

Only 10, in that entire massive mountain of text? Out of the entirety of that gigantic Marcel Proust length novel of pony bullshit that I didn't read, written by people well-known for their love of rape and general skeevery, there are only 10 instances of the word rape?

That sounds like pretty impressive restraint on their part. At least, for brony tropers who write full-length novels about imaginary novels.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Two of the ten are "scrapes" and "therapeutic". Most of the rest are the phrase "Mind Rape". And then there's this:

quote:

From the Space World, the Shadavar. Psycho ponies who will rape you to death, eat your flesh, and sew your skin into clothing (and if you're really lucky, they'll do it in that order). Then there's the secret of planet Diomedes, "the secret that broke Herpington's brain."

Firefly's been off the air for ten years, move on already. (They also have copies of Doctor Who, Candle Cove, some cthulhu stuff I think, Avatar the Last Airbender...)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Seriously what the gently caress did I just skim over.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

An imaginary trope page about stories that don't actually exist.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Swan Oat posted:

I'm actually curious, did anyone read it? Any of it? Parts of it? I would love absurd highlights but holy poo poo that is a lot of words to process.
As I scrolled past I noticed that there are roughly 100,000 "pony" puns in 140,000 words. Also there's some Monty Python and the Holy Grail and a Skyward Sword boss thrown in for no reason.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

A link would suffice holy poo poo dude.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

A link would suffice holy poo poo dude.

A link wouldn't quite capture the amount of bullshit that was. Seriously, somewhere the ghost of Plato is nodding approvingly, because this just proves that written language is a terrible idea.

NobbytheSheep
Sep 2, 2011
I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour, but heaven knows I'm miserable now
A ton of words about something that doesn't even exist? Why on earth would anyone be interested in reading that? Is writing the actual drat story too hard or something?

Testekill posted:

Take Bronies for example. They lost their poo poo when fanart of human versions of the ponies (keep that in mind) drew the character, whose who character is being smart, as a black chick. They were so pissed that their pony waifu dared to not be the WASP that they dreamed of.
Asian too. There's a few pictures of human Fluttershy as a Muslim woman in hijab, which haven't gone down very well with bronies. They don't like humanised ponies drawn as fat girls, either.

ETA: I was going to mention Rue, but someone beat me to it. She's described as 'dark-skinned' in the books a good few times, as are her family, and isn't District 11 supposed to be the Deep South? Can these people not loving read? You even had some idiots saying they were less sad about Rue's death when they found out a black actress was playing her.

NobbytheSheep fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 11, 2014

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
I'm pretty sure this is actually written piecemeal by multiple people. The wiki structure encourages that kind of "contribution".

And this is the inevitable endpoint of their "No Such Thing As Notability" policy. And it's certainly more efficient - why bother writing actual fiction when you can participate in a shared delusion? I'm pretty sure that any actualized form of the Daring Do novels would be seen as a disappointment by these people..

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Zemyla posted:

I'm pretty sure this is actually written piecemeal by multiple people. The wiki structure encourages that kind of "contribution".

And this is the inevitable endpoint of their "No Such Thing As Notability" policy. And it's certainly more efficient - why bother writing actual fiction when you can participate in a shared delusion? I'm pretty sure that any actualized form of the Daring Do novels would be seen as a disappointment by these people..

Speaking of wiki structure.
From the our ogres are hungrier page:

quote:

The name comes from the French for Hungarian (who were rumored to eat small children, among other niceties), but the other wiki will disagree and claim descent from the Latin "orcus", meaning hell. Ogres in folklore were portrayed as child-eating monsters who sometimes had magical powers (the ogre from "Puss-in-Boots" is a classic example).

No doubt TVtropes is the more reliable source of information to trust on the etymology.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Swan Oat posted:

You just posted, by my count, 142,404 words about pony fanfiction that doesn't even exist to the previous page. That is longer than A Tale of Two Cities. May god have mercy on your soul.
That poo poo is longer than my goddamn PhD thesis.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

vaguely posted:

That poo poo is longer than my goddamn PhD thesis.

Mine too. God loving drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Your PhD thesis probably wasn't written by 50 obsessive spergs though.

• Locked thread