Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I agree with that point in relation to TDKR, at least, because I remember walking out of that movie confused by how blatant the pro-police, pro-rich, anti-protesters/poor themes were. I know "superhero movie is fascist" is basically Film Criticism for Hacks 101, but it was just appalling how obvious it was there.

Edit: goddamn it, didn't mean to continue a stupid derail, here's a quote from the "mention a random quirk of your world" thread:

quote:

Imagine The Secret World meets Xanth meets Cthulhutech meets Discworld meets Dragonfable during a global war. Then you might get the idea of what Arcana is like.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

Arist fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The only thing there I had any experience with was Discworld, so I knew it was going to try to imitate Pratchett's style of fantasy parody, and almost certainly fail in a way that's insufferable to read. Even if they didn't, it would clash totally with all the awful grimdark that Cthulutech would bring.

So, in the end, it's exactly what I thought it would be from the initial description: a shallow attempt to imitate the successes of others in ways that are completely incompatible with one another.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ninjaxenomorph posted:

Oh, I know I'm a weirdo, don't need some overinflated internet ego to tell me that. But I am MORE weird, I am not the norm, especially not here. The final straw for me was not attacking us personally, really, but attacking our creativity. That is a line one does. Not. Cross.

Also, Reading that thread is just reminding me how hard it is to go on the TV Tropes forum because of all the goddamn hotlinks. Every single thing they talk about needs to be a trope. It's awful.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I love the passive-aggressive posts saying they should just delete all mention of her from the entire site, like they're doing her a favor by giving her the exposure and she should just be thankful.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Does anyone know what game Yahtzee reviewed that apparently lead to Fast Eddie deleting most of the page? Somebody mentioned that FE did the AI on it and that sounds like hilariously stupid drama so I'd like to know more.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

kaleidolia posted:

Tropers are the kind of people who will hear a review's throwaway joke, then create several pages documenting all the tropes it might have:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/JustForFun/DisneysAnneFrank

Related: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InspectorSpacetime

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Calaveron posted:

For Harmon, the fact that he's apparently a thin-skinned babyman who self-diagnosed with Aspergers and CANNOT take any criticism.

The last part of that is somewhat inaccurate; Harmon's really self-critical and will generally be the first person to say what could have been done better. He also routinely admits when something he writes/says is offensive, which is often because he has basically no filter.

He's certainly a manbaby (by his own admission, even), though, and he really shouldn't be the troper ideal of "Hey! One of us is successful!"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I found an article on that wiki about censorship and it mentioned the "P5" of TV Tropes. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I think it was written when they still allowed jokes and the crazy hugboxers haven't gotten to it yet.

Nonsense, they still allow jokes! Haven't you seen those horrifically unfunny Waldorf and Statler imitations at the bottoms of some pages? :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

quote:

His icon - the one that consists only of his face with a huge, insane grin on it. He looks like he wants to eat you and is really looking forward to it. And the circles in the background makes it look like he's coming right at you. *shudders*

Are you loving kidding me?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebAnimation/TurnaboutStorm

Oh what the gently caress.

quote:

Turnabout Storm is a fan crossover between Ace Attorney and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic by NeoArtimus; uploaded to PWaaMLPfim. This fan work, instead of using a written format as it was first conceived as, shows itself as a movie using the Visual Novel style the Ace Attorney series is known for, with the addition of voice acting for all characters.

Rainbow Dash, best flier in Ponyville, is accused of murdering the Pegasus Ace Swift, the favorite to win an upcoming race called the Equestrian 500 that Dash is also set to compete in. Now that she faces punishment for what would be the first murder in a long time during Celestia's reign, one of her best friends, Twilight Sparkle, sets out to find a lawyer to represent her. After all of her attempts to find one end fruitless, she makes one last try by casting a spell to summon the greatest defense attorney in Equestria, but she accidentally calls for the greatest defense attorney period, and said attorney turns out to be a confused and non-equine Phoenix Wright — At least, that's what Twilight claims to be the reason how Wright ended up there.

Now Phoenix finds himself stuck in a strange world, one where candy colored talking hors... err... ponies are the norm of the day, and the creatures of myths are just some other species — Yet one where justice still must be served, where the innocent can still be punished, and where they still need the light of someone who trusts and believes in them, someone ready to do whatever it takes to save them.

Thus starts Phoenix's journey to adjust to this new world, and search for the truth behind this strange new mystery he's been wrapped up in. Trailer here. Series here. note Please be warned that all the parts are very long, clocking in at around 9 hours of content. Beware of an Archive Binge.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm pretty sure the music from just before the video cuts off is blatantly stolen from Kingdom Hearts.

e: found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nlCNVewMjA

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Is it even finished?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The sprite in that pic being pretty much just Cloud makes me wonder if this guy made this thinking, "What if I made an entire game out of that weird Don Corneo sequence in FFVII?"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Totally missed that.

Also, gently caress troper "humor."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I love the implication here that they've spent more time drafting potential TV Tropes pages for their own works than working on their actual stories.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gimnbo posted:

Bolding mine.

I wonder what political leanings this guy holds.

It's hard out there being a conservative brony.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ungulateman posted:

Are terrible bronies actually more common than terrible people in other fandoms, or are they just more visible / easier targets?

I just want to watch my cartoon for little girls without creepy spergs ruining it :saddowns:

Both, really.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Metal Loaf posted:

Sure, I think I've heard that Wikipedia cutting a whole bunch of fancruft (mostly related to anime) is what contributed to TV Tropes becoming the site it is today in the first place.

So xkcd is indirectly responsible for the worst parts of TV Tropes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I know the original character is pretty clearly some kind of parody but if you're going to write absurd amounts of words about a series that doesn't exist, can you at least not completely copy everything about something that does exist? What's the point of that exercise, it's just a circle jerk for an extremely specific subset of people who want to wank about ponies and Indiana Jones at once.

They've done this before.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

And if the conversation follows an unusual track or another person comes in there are any number of subtleties to show how or who is speaking at any given time. Most tropers just don't want to put in that much effort to read and study dialogue, though. Gotta think up some great lines for your Deadpan Snarker!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Froghammer posted:

So apparently tropers have gods.

I guess it's all supposed to be in good fun or tongue-in-cheek, but like most things TvTropes it tries way the gently caress too hard and comes off as pathetic.

The first time I saw that I thought it was dumb but fine, having characters that represent specific concepts is alright. That's not the weird part, though.

quote:

Bruce Lee, God of Martial Arts and Grandmaster of Jeet Kune Do
  • Was surprised by Sabin's desire not to emulate him, but has noted that if any human would be able to match or surpass Bruce in brute strength, it would probably be him. Why? MOTHERFUCKER SUPLEXED A TRAIN.

• Had to do a double take over newcomer Eric Draven, because Eric looked like the son he never got to see grow up. Likewise, Eric saw Bruce as a strange father figure and began to shed tears of unknown sorrow for him. Many of the Gods haven't told Bruce about Eric looking similar to his own deceased son, Brandon Lee. They say it's for the best.

• His most deadliest weapon is the technique known as the One-inch Punch. While he himself has never used it, he looked in utter shock when he found out that one Ryusei Sakuta/Kamen Rider Meteor, a member of the Toku Base who trained in his fighting style, has successfully performed it...on Gentaro Kisaragi all in the pursuit to save his friend in the past and even killing Gentaro with it. Ryusei has since apologized for this attack.
  • Unfortunately for Ryusei, his troubles weren't over yet. Bruce Lee soon heard whispers of another Gentaro who turned evil due to Ryusei's death blow.

quote:

Andre The Giant, God of Wrestling Giants
  • Surprisingly has a friendship with Fluttershy. Fluttershy was, at first, intimidated by Andre being...a giant. However, André brought her to a small farm in his house and showed all the animals he tended for. Fluttershy then visits him every day now because of this.

It turns into weird fanfic.

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 9, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Found the hero of Puma Man in that Pantheon, and he has the casts of The Lost World: Jurassic Park and Left Behind as followers. loving why?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Sweet Jesus how did the animated version handle that part? This poo poo was on Toonami as well!

It didn't.

Man, I loving love making fun of SAO, but this is turning into kind of a derail.

Arist fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 10, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

HapiMerchant posted:

I love it when an internet celebrity comes into a community and is immediately swamped with adoration and blind devotion merely because of fame. or gender. or both. It's even worse when what they're saying is correct, because I have to fight my instinctive hatred of the person to see into their actual post quality.

This is pretty dumb.

• Locked thread