Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Why do so many people who don't like to write, read, or think all want to be writers so badly?

Because they think they can be "edgy", "new," and "exciting" without learning the rules and intricacies of writing, they have no real-world experiences (except for what they shallowly absorb from TV and books), and they would rather do something fast and familiar rather than right and complex. Sadly, they reflect what most people want out of TV, film, and books these days. It bums me out, because I'm trying to write stories that have some meaning to them, but rather than just crap them out like yesterday's Taco Bell, I'm planning, reading up on story elements, drafting, revising, editing -- you know, stuff that these wannabe writers think is hard work. I actually went to school and earned a degree in writing (TV and film writing, actually, but still). These porkballs wouldn't last a day in my college writing classes.

These guys are little boys trying to play a man's game -- and after they fail spectacularly, they blame the "Jerk Jocks" for their failure rather than themselves.

I hope I explained that well. I'm a first-time poster, long-time reader of these anti-TV Tropes threads.

Penny Paper fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

You overthink this. They want their own trope page, where someone painstakingly lists all the tropes they used in their work. Hell, some of them make their own trope pages for their own works. Sometimes before they have even been written.

Oh, right. I forgot. Posting when you've just woken up does screwy things to your head. I apologize.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

...when it fails miserably they'll blame it on poor marketing or piracy or stupid audiences not appreciating their genius...

Speaking of "audiences not appreciating genius," there's this "trope": http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AudienceAlienatingPremise. Not much to write home about, until I found this in the "Literature" section:

[quote]Twisted! is a book about sentient rollercoasters... that kill and eat people. The idea of the main characters being amusement park rides seems too childish for adults, but the gore and edginess of the content makes it inappropriate for children.[/i]

And yes, it's the same Twisted you guys ripped apart in The Book Barn.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Apple Tree posted:

Clever ideas with language should be used very, very carefully, and if you think that carefully about language, you aren't on TVTropes because the sight of it will make you want to scrub your eyes with a toothbrush.

I was thinking a Brillo pad -- unless the toothbrush is soaked in bleach.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Namtab posted:

Angel and The Matrix had long leather trenchcoats, therefore they are cool + practical.

I think they've gotten slapstick on TV confused with genuine domestic violence

Tropers confuse everything with everything. They think a fedora and trenchcoat constitutes good fashion. They think anime is the be-all and end-all of art. They think the English teacher who flunked their 100,000,000,000 page doorstopper of a fantasy story (when really they were supposed to write an essay on whether or not The Importance of Being Earnest lives up to its title) is a sadist teacher. They think kindergarten girls whose parents keep yelling at them to stop giving them that dead fish-eyed stare are "type A tsunderes" who are secretly in love with them. They think anyone who outruns them in laps during gym class is a "jerk jock."

I think you get the picture. They're so wrapped up in fantasy and putting labels on things that reality divorced them and took everything they had five years ago and they don't even know it because they're prowling the day care center for a trophy girlfriend (or holing themselves up in their anime-themed man caves spanking it to their imaginary girlfriends and mistresses, thinking they're Krieger from Archer). Sorry if I got a bit too graphic and off-base.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012
Who wants their brains to leak out of their ears from sheer boredom? All of you? Okay! TVTropes just came up with a podcast version of their site!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WikiSandbox/OTT

It's up to 16 episodes.

Penny Paper fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 26, 2013

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012
I stumbled across this on the site: a pitch generator, where you can make your own crappy story by combining two of whatever together. It doesn't have to be two TV shows or two movies. Here's an example:

quote:

Yoshi's Egg meets Welcome Back, Kotter
The Lord Of The Rings War Of The Ring meets Yakuza Girl
Star Wolves meets Incognegro
Chaos Wars meets Damien Rice
Escape From Planet Earth meets Surviving The Game
Eugene Onegin meets Batgirl
Neighbors From Hell meets The Garbage Picking Field Goal Kicking Philadelphia Phenomenon
The Pocalypse meets Super Chinese

The first one strikes me as odd, because how can you mix a 70s sitcom with a Tetris knockoff?

Here's the link to it (I'm not breaking any rules if I post the link, am I?): http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pitchgenerator.php

The story idea generator is worse, because it's just "Hey, stick these 'tropes' together and you'll get a story, maybe?": http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/storygen.php

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

I legitimately think that the world would be a better place if he was hit by a loving car, that is, assuming he ventures outside of his loving mancave.

Even if he doesn't, he can still get hit by a car. There is such a thing as "drunk driving into a house," "buzzed driving into a house," and "being such a crappy driver that you accidentally plow into the side of the house."

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

DoctorPresident posted:

It's always fun to watch tropers trying to fit a very specific concept into things that really don't need it:

Yandere

B-Baka it's not like you're my chosen people or anything!

From what I picked up on the last couple of TVTropes mock threads, the Tsundere is the one who says "B-baka, it's not like you're my chosen people or anything" because that's the one who's secretly in love with someone, but won't admit it. The Yandere is the one who will hunt you down and kill you or anything that stands in his/her/its way of you and him/her/it as a couple.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Call me when they start to make sense.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

JackMackerel posted:

Welcome to anime.

The mods tried to push for a non-Japanese name (or at least splitting it, since it's a massive cliche and fetish in the world of Japanland) a while back. I vaguely recall someone arguing against the renaming getting banned for it.

Oh, well, that makes sense, but doesn't "clingy jealous girl/guy" mean the same thing as a "yandere" (in terms of being a psycho driven mad by love), or is that TVTropes being redundant as usual?

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

DoctorPresident posted:

Those people should be canonized for their patience.

I like to think the "people" watching TV with them are stuffed animals (that most of them probably violated), anime body pillows, and/or the characters in their minds that they think is real because why cope and do something about the fact that you're a lonely loser when you can pretend you have friends? It worked when you were seven years old.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

quote:

Antivehicular posted:

What the gently caress is a sun streak?

I just refer to it as "the sunlight" or a "ray" or "beam" if I want to be specific, but those sound too obvious. I want to give my readers some credit and let them use their imaginations.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Weldon Pemberton posted:

I just went to the Boots site to check something, and was reminded of an old TVTropes classic:

For those who are unfamiliar with what I'm talking about : :nws:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrE8VEphVHs:nws:

I wonder if people working in toy stores (or the toy sections of department stores) get training on how to deal with overage toy "lovers" like the bronies.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Djeser posted:

As far as I know they stole 'waking up to the start of the novel' from Pokemon and Chrono Trigger, which are not novels.

Let's keep going, at least to the end of Chapter 1. There are 81 chapters, so keep that in mind.

81 chapters?! How do these people do it? Even when I was a teenager trying to write a novel, I stopped at 15 chapters (20 if I was really ambitious). Guess I can't write about nothing, even if I'm drafting it. I got this very bad affliction called "Chronic Editors' Syndrome" and "Qualityworkitisosis."

Where am I going with this? Oh, yeah: I couldn't write 81 chapters of crap if I tried because I actually care about what I put down on paper, even when I draft. Godspeed to you, Djeser, for spelunking through the depths of Troper Hell. If you die, I will lay flowers on your grave.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

loving pampered suburbanites, we each had to bring our own Hilter from home. Some of the kids could only afford a Pol Pot and got teased.

And the ones with the Joseph Stalins were the worst!

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

DStecks posted:

Is this guy literally 14?

I take offense to that. I didn't understand most of Shakespeare at 14 either, but that didn't make me hate Shakespeare. It just made me want to learn more about the plays (I even took a college class on Shakespeare's plays and have read a few for fun [I have a very vivid imagination, so I can picture how the play unfolds in my mind]). What's his excuse?

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Namtab posted:

Yo I haven't read this thread since page 25 so if anyone's said anything for me to look at I've missed it, but I did find a classic image on my PC the other day.

Never gets old.

What article was this for?

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

The Leper Colon V posted:

Hey, that's what we do all day!

Yes, but we also do what the Tropers' fathers (assuming they didn't walk out, divorce, or commit suicide in frustration, and assuming they weren't just some glorified sperm donor who knocked up and left a defenseless woman into caring for her unwanted spawn) have tried to do or should have done: lecture them that their more inane or legally questionable interests will make them losers for life, and they shouldn't look down on jocks and people who have sex, because, hey, some of them aren't as vulgar and moronic as they make them out to be. And who are they to look down on them when they're on the receiving end of ridicule and harrassment as well.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

crowfeathers posted:

In defense of the people correcting them, if they tried to delete stupid entries they'd be banned and the entry would be restored. This is even true of obvious troll entries.

On the other hand, why don't they leave their dumb site and do something else?

Because Tropers have given up on interacting with people who aren't them and "doing something else" implies that they're good at other things, which, as everyone here has stated (directly and indirectly), they aren't. Even if they dropped dead from poor diet and no exercise, they managed to screw that up.

crowfeathers posted:

The song is called "If I am going to eat somebody, it might as well be you." So there's that.

Not to derail, but for my money, "Toxic Love" is more sexually disturbing than that song on "Ferngully," especially since the original version of "Toxic Love" had to have lyrics cut to keep the movie at a G-rating.

Penny Paper fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 20, 2013

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Sex terrifies and confuses many tropers.

No, no, no. You got it all wrong.

Sex in which the partner isn't an underage Japanese girl, a fictional character, an inanimate object (that includes socks and body pillows), or themselves confuses and terrifies them.

Penny Paper fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 21, 2013

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

TGLT posted:

They are really terrified of being told what things are or who made things.

Kinda befitting, since Tropers prefer illusion to despair. However, I do agree that the Growing Pains(?) vanity plate with the guy falling off the roof of his house was scary to me...when I was seven. These days, to me, it's a nice blend of "What the hell?", "Who thought that was a good idea for a vanity plate," and "Heh, it's kind of funny."

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Testekill posted:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Headscratchers/Idiocracy

A whole lot of carrying on about a comedy film that was never supposed to be taken seriously. You know, carrying on about how "people haven't actually been getting dumber" or "these people are impossibly stupid" so it's a big case of not getting the joke.

That's odd. Usually when I hear about "Idiocracy" online, it's about how real life is becoming more like the future society depicted in the movie. Guess TVTropes wants to be "different" or it's a classic case of "justnotgettingthefreakinpoint"-itis. Take two baseball bat blows to the head and call me in the morning -- never mind that I always let my calls go to voicemail and I erase them without checking them.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Namtab posted:

I know far too much TVTrope history to be healthy.

Then I'm afraid the fever has reached your brain, and you must be destroyed. Now lie back and count backwards from 100 as I put this mask on your face. Quit fighting me. "Attached to the exhaust pipe of my car?" Don't be ridiculous...

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

quote:

The result is possibly the first religion created wholly on Powerpoint

As in "created to show others the wonder and joy of the religion" or was PowerPoint the inspiration for it?

Should I be asking questions like this? I got better things to do with my time, like finding a job already...

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

DStecks posted:

If you can't find what's interesting in people living their lives, doing their jobs, then how the hell can you write something that speaks to the human condition?

Well that's just it. Tropers don't care about what's real and human, because they're obsessed with anime and video games.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

A fella by the name of Don Marquis said it best: "If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you."

I thought that was a line from Fahrenheit 451. It sounds like something Beatty would say to Montag during the part where Montag is too sick to go in to work and Beatty gives that speech about how and why books fell out of favor.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

quote:

nanowrimo winner posted:

The words have lost all meaning and are beginning to swim before my eyes. I look and feel insane.

Finally, someone who feels the same way as I do when I have to slog through this dreck.

My sister gets involved in this. As a real struggling writer (who actually studied how to write, is constantly trying to fix my work so it can look like something, and am trying to get published), I am ashamed for both of us.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

"I'd say I'm about 90% done. All I have to do is come up with a plot, setting, and characters."

What's the other 10% he was working on?

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Really now, it's too bad the English language doesn't have different words for different shades of red.

I take offense to that, because there are so different words for different shades of red: garnet, scarlet, vermillion, pink (yeah, it's its own color, but it is considered a shade of red), carmine, ruby, rust, maroon, Spanish red, crimson -- I can go on. Hell, even ginger, strawberry blonde, and auburn count (but only if you're describing hair color).

What language is he speaking that doesn't have different words for the color red? Illiterate gently caress. Use a thesaurus right.

Edit: Ah, hell. Someone answered that before me (and came up with similar examples). But my point remains valid. Use a thesaurus right -- and don't abuse it. That's the kind of rookie writing mistake I made when I was in fifth through seventh grade.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

DStecks posted:

Something that's Quite Interesting about words for colours is that it hugely influences how we see them. For example, the English language considers Red and Pink to be two different colours, when really Pink is just a shade of Red. However, this means that English speakers very rarely confuse the two shades. By comparison, Japanese considers Blue and Green to be the same basic colour, differentiated by shades. If you've ever wondered why traffic lights sometimes seem blue in Japanese media, this is why. It's harder for speakers of Japanese to visually distinguish between Green and Blue than for English speakers.

Going the other way, at least one language (I think it's Russian, but I'm not sure) considers Blue and Cyan to be two completely different colours. (for those too lazy to look it up, Cyan is baby blue. Cyan is to Blue as Pink is to Red.) In a test where either Cyan or Blue was shown to a test subject, when asked later, English speakers had much more difficulty recalling which shade they had been shown, because their brains just remembered it as "blue".

Well, cyan is similar to blue if you're learning about the primary colors of light (magenta, cyan, and yellow) as opposed to the primary colors of pigment (red, blue, and yellow), so that does explain why people would confuse blue with cyan. I'm going by what I remember from my middle school art class and my high school science class. If anyone wants to correct me or fill in without derailing too much, then be my guest.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

EKDS5k posted:

Pretty sure that the primary colours of light are red, green, and blue, and the primary colours of pigment are cyan, yellow, and magenta. You can check it by opening MSPaint and comparing the colour selector to your printer ink cartridges.

I remember now (from both my science textbook and memories of watching The Powerpuff Girls. Yeah, it seems like something a troper would do, but the artists really did use red [or rather pink], blue, and green to color code Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup and, Troper or not, it's hard not to see it). I got them mixed up. My apologies.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

DStecks posted:

Cyan is no more similar to blue than pink is to red. You just see red and pink as obviously different because that's how your English-speaking brain processes them.

Good point.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

crowfeathers posted:

Why would anyone do that?

I think the better question is "What is it that they're doing?" because, to paraphrase Lisa Simpson in response to that "Yahoo Serious" marquee: "I understand those words, but that post doesn't make sense."

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

MinistryofLard posted:

This page is even dumber. Its like, they're cognisant of how racist a concept is, but then you scroll down to the non-white examples and they've got Doctor Who and Superman in there.

:downs: "Well, they're white, but they're aliens so they're not technically white and my Doctor Whos and my comics aren't racist at all!"

And if they do pick up on it, they stuff it in the Does This Remind You of Anything? page -- or they would, if it wasn't filled with sexual innuendo (up to and including references to rape).

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Benne posted:

Would it shock you to know that the Western Animation page has MLP as the main picture?

It would be more shocking if that didn't happen.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also, if you look up the trope page for Arthur, you can see people arguing that he was totally justified for punching his sister in one episode. You know, despite the message being "violence is bad and doesn't solve anything." They bitch about how unfairly Arthur is treated. The guy was being ostracized for punching his little sister, whatever his stance might've been, he forfeited when he resorted to violence.

See, I don't get that. They whine and complain about that, but when it comes to stuff like Eddy's older brother on that Ed, Edd, and Eddy series finale movie or Lisa Simpson bullying Bart in the latter-day Simpsons episodes (which no normal person should care about, as it's literally been years since The Simpsons was considered funny and relevant to everyone who wasn't a shut-in nerd), they scream, "Complete monster!" or "Nightmare fuel!" or worse of all, "Dethroning Moment of Suck."

Don't believe me: slog through these links below (try not to let your brain cells die as your eyes glaze over the crappiness):

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/NightmareFuel/EdEddNEddysBigPictureShow
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Monster/CartoonNetwork
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DethroningMoment/TheSimpsons

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Alopex posted:

For gently caress's sake, TV Tropes.

The shocking thing isn't a dirty joke, it's because the guy says his Dedenne is in love with her Emolga and then she says her Emolga would rather fight it. The sheets are messed up because someone let out their bitey and/or floral pokemon out as opposed to it being some sort of weird sex thing. And if a little girl says that she loves her pet and your mind immediately goes to "AND SHE WANTS TO gently caress IT" you probably need to get off the internet for a while.

And by "for a while," I mean, "forever."

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

I am sorely tempted to visit the Getting Crap Past the Radar page for My Little Pony.

Gotcha covered (though this is for "Friendship is Magic." I didn't see the original series and I don't want to look). I was bored, so what the hell?

There's not many examples, but the examples they have are pretty dumb.

quote:

* "Look Before You Sleep" features a book called Slumber 101: All You've Ever Wanted to Know About Slumber Parties (But Were Afraid to Ask), referring to the widely known sex guide Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex (But Were Afraid to Ask).
*In "Hurricane Fluttershy", they slipped in a reference to steroid use and a certain one of its side effects with a white pegasus boasting bulging muscles and rather tiny wings.
*In the Cold Open for "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000", Rainbow Dash barges straight into Fluttershy's bedroom to wake her up, and rips the covers off. Fluttershy's reaction? She blushes and covers up her chest with her forelegs. The squeak she emitted as she did that certainly didn't help.
*As noted elsewhere on the wiki, the Changelings' modus operandi resembles that of succubi crossed with actual fairy changelings.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Parsley posted:

That Simpsons one is absolutely brilliant. These people really don't understand ... anything. They don't get jokes, but they also can't think beyond beep boop trope. I realise asking for tropers to understand basic character emotion and motivation is asking for a lot.

If you think that's bad, check out the Dethroning Moment of Suck page for King of the Hill: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DethroningMoment/KingOfTheHill and their entry for Flanderization (normal people translation: when a character's quirks are greatly exaggerated in a long-running TV show, like how Homer Simpson went from somewhat bumbling and crass to a borderline-retarded, callous jerk) on the main page. It's like they don't understand that people have different world views, people change, not everything works out in the end, and that TV writers sometimes make mistakes and/or often exaggerate a character because of idiot fans like Tropers who take things at face value or come up with their own characterization that's way off base (see: the many mentions of "shipping" the kids on South Park).

quote:

What I wouldn't give to mark the English exams of a dozen or so tropers. Because that's all about interpretation and analysis and we've established that, unless it's about My Little Pony, they're incredibly bad at it.

Ooh, I want to be the teacher who tells Tropers' parents at Parent/Teacher conferences that their take on comprehension, analysis, and interpretation is piss-poor. I don't care how many death threats I get; if their parents raised them right, then I wouldn't have to be the one to say, "I'm sorry, but I can't give an A on your son's paper about how Maybe Panty Explosion* is somehow more culturally relevant than A Separate Piece." And I don't think they're good at analyzing "My Little Pony" if the Crap Past The Radar examples are indicative of anything.

*Maybe Panty Explosion is not a real anime series, but it sounds so much like it that I had to use it.

Penny Paper fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Djeser posted:

This was the only one I could find that I'd actually want to watch as a cheesy dumb cartoon but of course being TV Tropes, this is a fanfiction idea. Just replace Freddy and Jason with The Mummy and the Phantom of the Opera, and Universal could probably swing that as a kid's series.

There was an early 1990s Saturday morning cartoon called Gravedale High that had the mummy, The Wolfman, and Dracula as high schoolers (though not the Phantom of the Opera. I think he was replaced with The Invisible Man). It's a faded memory for a lot of people (and a non-memory for those who were born after it first came on, as it didn't rerun in syndication), but if you're a Saturday morning cartoon-loving geek who loves the obscure stuff that was "too good" for network TV, then you will remember this.

Of course, these days with people trying to get future generations to see their favorite shows by posting intros and episodes on YouTube and other video sites, it doesn't matter if you remember the show when it first came on or not. Here's a clip of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGhZegXEj3U

Penny Paper fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 14, 2013

• Locked thread