Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Has anyone here ever used Manulife One's all in one account. My wife is kind of on a kick to consolidate things and kind of likes it, it honestly looks like a horrible idea to me but I kind of want to know if anyone uses it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

n00b posted:

I have no idea how I hosed this up, but I did. Filed my taxes with TurboTax last weekend, filled in all the required fields and it gave me an estimated tax return of $50. Looked at my account today and see a RIT deposit for over $2,500, and now I'm slightly freaking out.

Double checked my statements, and it definitely says I'm owed $50 only. What the gently caress have I done?

I was on EI for the last part of 2014 but I declared all of the income I received and all the proper deductions were made during my claim, so I have no idea where the extra money is coming from. I'm contacting CRA tomorrow to see wtf is going on, has anyone else had this issue before?

Honestly, the CRA redo your taxes once they get them. It's more then likely right.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

JibberJabberwocky posted:

I stopped working in Alberta a number of years ago when I started my own business. I got a letter a few days ago allowing me to move the 13k balance of my pension from the fund, into a locked-in account. So my pension plan is insolvent, and I definitely want to get that money out of there.

They actually are only sending me about 10k of it. I have about 11k in debt that I consolidated onto one credit card which is interest free for 6 months, but that is shrinking every month and will be gone within the next 4 months with some disciplined payments. After that I plan to invest responsibly and build a portfolio, but meanwhile I have to decide what to do with this 10k (I am not holding my breath for the other 3k which their letter said might arrive by 2020).

The current plan is just a mix of Vanguard ETFs and then monitor my portfolio, but if anyone has general advice reflective of the state of the market, or a good resource to start with, I would appreciate it. I have a ton of TFSA room (read: all of it) so when my debt is gone I can add to this portfolio, but the locked in break-in-service pension funds are going to be just that, locked in until I am retirement age (I'm 25, not touching that for a long time), so if there is a nuance to long term saving beyond ETFs and studious rebalancing, I'm all ears.

So do you make enough that you can knock out 11k in 4 months or is it 4 years. If you make enough money that you can knock off 11k is 4 months, try a risky investment with the money

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

JibberJabberwocky posted:

I can knock out 11k in 4 months. I run my own business and do about 44k net from that a year, and I'll be entering articling as a law clerk which pays okay.

What is a risky but not insane investment I could look into?

You could always roll the dice on an oil company, Canadian Oil Sands is way under valued and Cenovus is a bit under valued if you can get into it in the next few days.

I don't follow some of my legacy stocks all that closely and it seems my CPR stock is currently worth around 70 grand since I last look, gently caress me.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

DariusLikewise posted:

Thank you Americans who took over CP!Can I have my job back please

CP has always had horrible turnover like every 10 to 15 years. I honestly don't believe any other company operates more in a state of Civil War with itself then CP, it use to be worse when it was like 7 different divisions.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Franks Happy Place posted:

Are you kidding me? Seattle roads are so shockingly bad that every time we go down my (American) wife turns to me and says "WE WILL NEVER MOVE BACK HERE".

Image driven from Windsor which is a shithole onto the I75 in Michigan and you honestly wonder why anyone moves to the US at all.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

cowofwar posted:

For those of us with anxiety about topping up the TFSA immediately:

Given I've never put a dollar in my TFSA (thank you gold pension) should I put some away?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mantle posted:

I don't know if this is a sarcastic comment or not so I'll treat it seriously.

Hell yes, start using your TFSA. If you invest properly, it will take years off your working life or give you extra income on top of your pension to increase your retired standard of living.

Also, in the future the TFSA will reduce capacity for government spending on public services so you will need to spend more personally in order to maintain the same standard of living. If you don't use the TFSA, then you will be falling behind.

It's honestly part sarcastic and part I phrased it badly. The honest part is how long can I keep the unused portion to fill up later (I have a government pension).

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

tuyop posted:

Lexicon, I have like 20% Canadian equity, 10% Canadian bonds, 10% Canadian REITs. What's going to happen to me in the next like 5-15 years? :ohdear:

Sell your REITs

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

HookShot posted:

How long does it take for an order of e-series to go from "open" to "executed" in TD webbroker? I assume a few business days?

FWIW Scotiabank denied me for no reason as well when I have perfect credit and (at the time) had a pretty drat high income a couple years ago.

Scotiabank once denied me because I closed an account with them after finishing school and didn't need it anymore.

I was wondering what you where all doing that you owed so much money, but I guess self-employed. They owned me 7k

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I have two CC, my Amex which is for travel (they have the great perks for international poo poo) and I just got an Amazon.ca card because I"m crazy.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
My wife wants to consolidate our bank accounts due to the fact we have been married for three years now and bank two different places, this would be fine but she always wants to consolidate all our debt at the same time and pay it all off a little faster. We owe about 40k between my student loans (which at current pace will be paid off in Dec) and hers (two years) as well as about 25k that went into failed IVF treatments, and before you say anything we make more then enough money to carry that debt.

If there any bank that won't punish us for consolidating all that into one payment?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

spoof posted:

Is there a HELOC you can tap?

I'd prefer not too.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
It's better then those loving PC points that get you nothing.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I"m not saying PC points aren't useful, I have like 80 bucks of them (because I always get the offers) but too much of the stuff doesn't earn you points and it annoys me to give up some of my shopping habits for points.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
If the PC points work anything like the US versions of the cards they track pretty much everything you buy.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
If you want to have easy access to that money in Canada but live outside of the country find a Canadian banks local division and put your money there, it works great.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Kal Torak posted:

The BoC has cut interest rates another 0.25%. Once again, it is going to be interesting to see how the Banks respond to this.

Even cheaper lending so more people buy bigger houses and it all falls down.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Skizzzer posted:

My parents just offered to sell me their rental property, the timeline for that I'm guessing is ~2 years from now when they retire. I have no plans myself to buy a house in the near future, I am just fine with renting and I think it unlikely to find a place to buy downtown which is where I work. I work for the government and I think I'll have a nice pension, but I won't know the details until I attend a seminar in late November.

I don't know if I'll save for a house (probably, that's what everyone does right?) but I definitely want to save for retirement. How does TFSAs, RRSPs, and e-series work together? How do I split the money?

Which branch of the government do you work for. If's its the Federal government they will openly tell you that you don't really need a TFSA, RRSP for the first 15 or so years of your career and to use the money to pay down a house. This may have changed if you joined the plan past the 35/65 rule.

For right now if you are in the Fed. look at saving to buy a house maybe using a TFSA for tax breaks but it's won't match your pension breaks.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Guest2553 posted:

I had a discussion with someone earlier who told me about a $5000 prepaid credit card he uses as his emergency fund. Apparently, the company pays 5% interest per annum on positive balances, making it better than nearly any other fixed income option out there. It's a loss leader geared towards people with lovely credit who are more likely to overdraw and rack up fees, but he made it work for him.

seriously, that's a pretty loving great place to stash money.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

cowofwar posted:

You probably can't withdraw the balance, only credit it against your spending.

true but as a place to stash money while making a small purchase every once and a while to cover cost it would work well.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Did the 10k stuff get passed or was it just an election promise?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Also the whole thing might get scraped if the Federal governments agrees to raise the CPP rate, maybe no one knows.

You also don't pay into if your company has a pension plan

sbaldrick fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 6, 2016

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ikantski posted:

I'm a nutbag, explain to me how mandatory defined benefit pension contributions aren't a tax? It's a tax demanded by the government for a specific facility. You pay $x and you get roads, you pay $y and you get food inspection, you pay $z and you get some monthly bingo cash when you're old.

It's basically an attempt to make sure you don't starve to death on the loving street when you're old. It's that loving hard to understand.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe it's like when they officially tried to make sure government office buildings look crappy to not upset the tax paying peasants the government wants really bad web design so no one gets upset at opulent government web design.

The government's modern wed design is somehow even worse. Be glad you can't see it because it's everything horrible about web 2.0

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I've been waiting for the day when the CRA finally comes after my tenant/roommate/friend for his student loans, and he just received a letter from the CRA last week. I can't imagine that it would be anything else but a final notice that they will begin taking legal action on his loans.

Does anyone know how long that process will take? I need to know because he's always late with rent as it is, and if the CRA starts garnishing his wages to the tune of $500 a month, things will get really tight for him. I want to know how long I have before I have to have a conversation with him to tell him to get his poo poo together.

The CRA rarely does wage garnishment for student loans and unless he makes a ton of money he can get the 500 bucks cut in half.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Hmm, all I know is that the monthly payment they wanted from him a couple of years ago was around $400. I assumed that would have went up due to lack of payment. And I've heard the CRA can garnish up to 25% of your wages, maybe more.

$250 would surely be a lot more manageable though, at around 12.5% of his income. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it then.

It doesn't go up for lack of payment as far as I know but they will give you a break based on how much you make.

But you have to pay them for it to happen.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Aagar posted:

Not directed at you specifically, Pawl, but a general question: when, as a society, did we decide what "counts" as debt when discussing it with others? It is commonplace to hear someone say, "well I'm debt-free except my mortgage" or "I have no debt except student loans" as if these don't count.

Debt free but your mortgage is pretty good given you have to live someplace. So provided you didn't overextend yourself on that it's ok.

Like 2 months from now I finish paying off my student loans and a line of credit we took out for IVF. After that we are down to our mortgage which is less then a grand a month, that's nothing based on what we make.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I'm getting laid off from my lovely government job and given my pension will amount to 200 bucks a month when I hit 65 I'm pulling it despite the pension.

Is the TD eseries the best place to park that money long-term, given the thread seems to like there service?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I think it's more that we can't believe Canada hasn't had some kind of correction.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Rick Rickshaw posted:

But does it actually effect our day-to-day lives / investing decisions? I hope not.

I haven't sold some holdings just because I feel what I have is pretty stable despite losing imaginary money in it this year. Mostly because I can't think of any company that's going to provide me the same kind of place to store money long term.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Dreylad posted:

BMO seems perpetually behind the times on almost everything.

I love my BMO account because they let me make deposits from my US account (at a different bank) without a hold but once I pull my pension I'm switching to TD.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Jan posted:

Seriously. gently caress TD. Their Indexed Funds website is horrible Web 1.0 garbage that does not need encouragement.

And I still have no EasyWeb access even after calling them as the website says, "we have no indication of this card ever existing! please visit a branch!".

Do I even need to visit a branch/have EasyWeb to transfer poo poo out? I might just eat the 2% early liquidation fee if it meant not having my money in their hands any longer.

I just went to TD because they are light years ahead of the other banks for management

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I'm not sure how it's possible but somehow Turbotax became worse to use then just doing it by hand.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I just picked the first one on the CRA website.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

mojo1701a posted:

Oh, I forgot to mention that I can't. I only got a few cheques from when I first opened the account, and I've used them all up a couple of years ago.

cashiers cheque?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Vatek posted:

Banks usually charge a fair bit for those, or at least TD does. $7.50 or so last time I got one.

drat, that's a lot more then the last time I got one.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

anitsirK posted:

What would you do with money intended for use for purchase of a car somewhere between 1.5 and god knows how many years from now? Imagine you're starting with ~$15k and will be contributing about $600/month. The wishy washy timeframe is also why I almost posted this in BWM - the money is intended for the purchase a Tesla Model 3. TFSA for sure, but what within that? I know enough to look for something boring given the (relatively) short timeline, but would welcome suggestions. Something available through RBC DI would be super convenient.

Don't buy a Tesla as there are still some questions on how the battery does in cold weather long term unless it's going to be in storage for the winter.

Also TD rolled a speading tracking thing as part of there app today.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

jm20 posted:

TD myspend was available to the public since early April :ssh:

I never noticed it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

HookShot posted:

If you stick AAs in the fridge overnight they hold their charge a bit longer, I assume a car battery is exactly the same, it'll be fine.

Seriously though that sucks I also want to get a Tesla 3 when the dollar de-shits itself

I honestly want a Tesla 3 too, but it's a real worry as not a ton of long term testing has been done.