Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technomancer
May 7, 2007
For all your technomagical needs
I'm in a similar position, I'm building my emergency fund up to $24,000, but I don't want to keep it in a HISA because of inflation. I was thinking in putting it into a 100%-bond ETF, but I do have a $64,000 HELOC that I can use at any time. So I want to know if people think I should keep with the 100% bond ETF, or go with a riskier one like VGRO or VBAL.

I'm 51, already have a sizeable pension fund waiting for me when I retire, a maximized RRSP, and a soon-to-be-maximized TFSA. So I'm not really bothered when markets take a dip for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technomancer
May 7, 2007
I have a question for you. I have approximately $200,000 dollars in an RRSP mutual fund with an ER of around 2.25%, which is about $4500 a year. Now I'm looking at moving this to a RRSP ETF like VGRO or VBAL, with much lower ER (I think it's around 0.22%). Is there any reason not to do it? I checked on Investopedia, and nothing appropriate came up (meaning, I did find an article listing five different things mutual funds are better at than ETFs, but none apply to me).

Technomancer
May 7, 2007
Thank you, that's what I thought. There is absolutely no penalty for selling, so that won't be a problem. And I'll take care that the money never leaves the RRSP space.

Technomancer
May 7, 2007

priznat posted:

Yeah I suppose I could do that, I was hoping I could just make it easy, ah well.

One of them is a real pain because they didn't break it out cleanly due to it being a pension plan.

I'm fairly sure my new employer didn't deduct enough for the first couple amounts so I want to minimize that if possible, I saved all the extra so I'm fine to cover it.

If you make contributions in the first 60 days of 2024, you can declare them for 2023 or report them to 2024. Of course you still need to know what your max is by the time you send your tax return.

The penalty for going over the limit is, I think, 1% of the exceeding amount per month.

Technomancer fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 31, 2024

Technomancer
May 7, 2007

Scrum posted:

I've decided to liquidate all my stocks in my TFSA and invest everything into the S&P 500. Prior to this, I've been buying blue chip dividend stocks and 'dripping' all my dividends/distributions. It really does not make sense for me considering my time horizon for retirement is at least 25 years and I don't need fixed income at his point. I'm also not confident in our economy since we seemingly do not build poo poo or innovate in this country anymore. My portfolio consisted of Canadian oligopolies with little growth potential: big banks, big telco, REITS (yuck), utilities. I was also bag holding a bunch of garbage such as AQN.TO.

Time to ride the US market since I'm lazy and I'm not Warren Buffet.

Did something similar more than a year ago, but I srill kept some money in a total Canadian market. The big part I split in two funds, VUN (US market) and VIU (international market except North America). It was really, really worth it.

Technomancer
May 7, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

Makes me wonder if people who invested ex-Canada ex-USA got dinged at all by Russia problems. Is Russia part of the emerging market ETFs or the European market ETFs?
Not at all. If I look at VXC, Russian enterprises constitute less than 0.1% of the portfolio (and it's an Emerging Market). The fund had a 22% growth last year.

Edit: and it's not even present in VIU.

Technomancer fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 16, 2024

Technomancer
May 7, 2007

tragic_ethos posted:

Yeah, less than $2k is okay, although I believe this is a lifetime limit. If this extra $2k contribution was in the first 60 days of 2024 though, you might not technically be in over contribution territory as you are just using up your 2024 contribution room.
Yeah. You still have to declare it in your 2023 income tax return, but you just say that you will use it in 2024.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technomancer
May 7, 2007

tragic_ethos posted:

The wording is generally you are charged 1% interest for every month you have over contributed to rrsp or tfsa. This is calculated at end of month, so if you over contribute but pull it out before end of that initial month of contribution, there is no penalty. I understand there are ways to withdraw mistaken rrsp contributions without additional tax complication at least, but never had cause to look too much into that.
And you only pay interest on the overage. Last year I overcontributed $600, but since it only amounted to $6 per month of interest, and removing money from my RRSP would have been a pain, I just let it ride and deduced the $600 from my available amount this year.