Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is the moneysense guide to perfect portfolio a good primer? Trying to dig up info on canada couch potato is just painful. 3 items per page? are you loving kidding me?

I read this over the weekend and its definitely worth the time and money. I'm in almost your exact same position (just starting retirement saving with a TD e-Series)

Edit: It sucks that it's taking so much effort for you to open up an e-series account. They did it for me at my branch. I specifically told them I wanted an e-Series account and the guy tried to steer me away from it for all of three minutes before he broke down and helped me submit the paperwork right there. Still had to wait two weeks for "processing" though.

TheOtherContraGuy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
I just want to make sure I got this right. My company will match my investments in my RSP up to 4% of my salary. It's a no brainer that I'll match that but I invest 10% of my earnings. The other 6% should go in a TFSA, right? I'm already in the lowest tax bracket on the provincial and federal level.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
On the subject of credits cards: I pay my whole balance every month. The bank just offered to double my borrowing limit. If I did increase my borrowing limit and continued to pay off my balance would that help or hurt my credit score? There are no additional fees.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
Have there been any studies that prove that ETFs outperform their passive index fund counterparts? They tend to have a slightly lower MER but I have this niggling doubt that ETFs are a way of reintroducing commissions into the portfolio of conservative, passive investors.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice

Lexicon posted:

Um, index ETFs are passive. They have commissions not due to some grand conspiracy, but because they trade as securities. Trading has transaction costs.

Oh, I'm not suggesting that there's a conspiracy. I've just noticed that I see a lot of ads in MoneySense for ETFs and not very many (any?) for index mutual funds. I'm just wondering if the performance matches the hype. The only reason I mentioned commisions is because the seminar I was at failed to mention commissions and speaker went from a very analytical to very flowery when he started talking about ETFs.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
That's really great! You should definitely read this if you haven't yet: http://canadiancouchpotato.com/2013/09/30/your-guide-to-the-even-more-perfect-portfolio/

As for leaning against your RSP: I don't think its as good TFSA, but you should still probably max out RSP before opening a unregistered E-Trade account. The reason is that the money you invest isn't taxed yet and having a larger base monthly investment significantly increases the power of compound interest.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice

Saltin posted:

I've never understood the doomsday people. If you honestly thought a collapse of that scale was imminent, wouldn't you get busy accumulating weapons, ammo, water, diesel and tinned food? I wouldn't trade you a can of beans for $1000 if there was a complete economic collapse.

Doomsday is coming! I will give my cash to the institution!

I think he means a collapse in the housing marker, not a collapse in social relations. I'm long term pessimistic on the real estate here, too. The problem is you can't really hold a short position. You can see a bubble and still not know when it pops.

Question: Is there a list of hidden fees associated with Questrade? They seem like the clear best option for ETFs but they have to be getting their money from somewhere.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice

Kal Torak posted:

The fee schedule is here: http://www.questrade.com/pricing/admin_fees

There's no hidden fees. There is a $20 fee per quarter if you have less than 5K in assets.

That's really helpful. Thanks.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
Hey, my girlfriend and I are going to the states in April and she's worried that the exchange rate is going to get even worse. I'm sceptical. I have 2000 that I can either exchange now or invest. What would be a better bet?

Side question: How much cash do you guys keep in your chequeing account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
I just maxed my TFSA and RRSP. I know the next step is to move my bond ETFs to outside my sheltered accounts so I can put more stock ETFs in, but what do I do after that?