Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hi I'm a dum dum who has not been filing taxes because I assume I don't really need to cause my employer takes my taxes out of my pay & ran into some problems trying to file online a few years back and never really bothered to sort it out. I remember filing physically at least once, but then I think I had some problems when I tried to do it digitally after?

I don't really know where to start? I assume there's a good free filing option, I don't really have anything complex going on, but my lazy google-fu seems to make it sound like I need a code or something to e-file? It would be good to at least get this year taken care of, but I probably should also figure out past years too? Not really sure the last time I filed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tsyni posted:

Register for a CRA account if you haven't already and you will be able to see the last years that you filed taxes. As long as it hasn't been that long, most of your T4s and tax information for prior years should be there as well. I use SimpleTax, but I am sure there are other good, free options.
Seems like I can only make a CRA account if I've filed last year or the previous?

quote:

Note: Before you can register using option 1 or 2, you must have filed your income tax and benefit return for the current tax year or the previous one.
Seems like an hour+ wait to talk to someone from CRA. Maybe just picked a bad day. :sigh:

Also not terribly encouraging, but entering all the stuff I have into genutax for this year, my T5 from my bank for just the plain ol' interest puts me into balanced owed.

Anyone understand the "Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit"? I'm a bit confused if it applies to me or not.

quote:

If you lived in a subsidized housing unit, you should check with your landlord to find out if property tax was paid for the unit before entering an amount.
Like I don't think where I live is subsidized? I have a rental company so Im not really too sure who I'd talk to.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there some way around this in GenuTax? I looked at the forms and it's 4 cents in that box and I don't see a way to edit it manually.

I really do not want to have to file by paper over 4 loving cents.

e: I guess it probably doesn't matter a ton since there's other pre 2017 back taxes I'll be stuck filing by paper. If I've filled out all the stuff up to the netfile point, can I start on filling my 2018 return? I've probably already messed things up a bit by doing my 2021 a few months ago, then filing my 2020 taxes before the 2017 one....? GenuTax basically suggested going from 2017 forward but I misunderstood cause I didn't realize what the earliest year I could file with NetFile so I started working backwards...

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 1, 2022

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is it unusual to owe tax due to bank interest? I just punched in my taxes with GenuTax and it says I'm owing by a few hundred bucks which feels sorta of surprising. (Granted, I am an idiot who barely understands taxes)

I don't feel like I earn a ton of money and assumed that my workplace deducts anything I'd end up owing anyways - my T5 bank interest slip came in way higher then previous years and scrubbing through my bank account I think it might have been because I moved a bunch of money to my savings account during a promotional interest thing. I'm assuming this is what's causing me to owe as opposed to my regular income.

I dunno if this is a "talk to a professional" sort of situation, but given I don't really have anything complex going on with my income/life i'm a bit disinclined to go get professional tax help since it feels like it will probably just end up being "yeah that's what you owe, thanks for the money idiot."

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

That all makes sense. Just got really caught off guard since I sort of got my poo poo together last year and filed a bunch of back taxes, in most years I got something back, so to go from getting a bit back to paying like 400$ came as a bit of a shock, but the bank interest looks about right. I think it was just a bit of a side effect of shuffling a lot from chequing to savings, but the online portal only lets me look back 13 months so it's a bit hard to confirm exactly why one of the promotional payouts was particular big, but I somehow doubt they erroneously gave me too much interest and didn't notice for a year.