Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!
So I used the greedy card site to pick the best credit card for me, ended up being some scotia bank associated visa. I just got a letter in the mail I was denied for credit reasons. I have no debt, what the hell? Should I just go down to the bank and apply in person?

Oh now it's telling me some american express card is the best for me. gently caress I just want a card with some sort of rewards, I'm getting NOTHING with my current card so I never use any credit cards other than buying a game or two a year on steam.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Yeah I was about to get some sweet poor-people tax credits and poo poo until my wife ruined everything with her about-average earnings.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
So after applying for another card to get some sort of card with actual rewards they want me to print out a physical paper form, fill it out with all my banking details, account numbers, transit numbers, everything, sign it, and fax it to them. Is this normal? I've never had to do this signing up for a credit card before. It seems very invasive.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

Cultural Imperial posted:

Man gently caress that. Amazon.ca visa took me like 2 minutes to apply for.

Done and done. The card I was applying for did like 1.5%, this does 2% on amazon or 1% in general so averages out I guess. Now to cancel a bunch of my other cards I never ever use.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

JawKnee posted:

just applied for it, that was waaaay too easy. Read through the forms, they mention making payment options available, but not what they are - is there an online option for it (through the site maybe?) or am I going to be doing this via a transfer from my bank?

I'm sure you'll just be able to add visa as a payee in your online banking along with your account number.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Really weird, american express called me back since I never gave them a form with all my personal banking info, account numbers, transit numbers, and a long consent form back to to them. First I was just too lazy and my work doesn't even have a fax, and second why the gently caress do these need all this?

When they called back I just told them I found a very similar card from another company that didn't require all this invasive information. They said these forms and process aren't their doing, they are government mandated for financial security reasons. What the gently caress, no they aren't. Just told them to cancel the card request. Comparing this american express sign up vs the ridiculously easy amazon card sign up is crazy. Federal regulations!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
yeah, couple hundred in chequing accounts, couple thousand in savings which then get transferred to chequing at the end of the month to pay for all automatic bills (rent + car). Also my credit union is good and doesn't care about overdrafts so long as you fix it within a day or two, which is nice in case I ever forget to move the money around quick enough.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Perfect credit, no debt of any sort, pay all bills on time. They said it was entirely to do with proving I'm who I say I am and identity fraud stuff and "federal" financial security regulations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
I know it's cliche to rag on MBA's but if there's ever been a group of people who have been "educated stupid" it's MBA holders.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
So I finally got a few thousand to play with with my TD e-series stuff. I went about 40% international index -e, 40% US index -e, 10% Canadian index -e, and 10% Canadian bond index -e%. Seem reasonable? It's a lot less Canadian heavy than couch potato recommends but I agree with a lot of the posters here who say by living and working in a country you're already super exposed to its markets.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Why do you want that exact card?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
That amazon card a bunch of us got was ridiculously easy to get and seems to give pretty good rewards.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Just call ahead of time and let them know where you're going or they'll flag your card as stolen. Sometimes they can get really stupid like "You told us you'd be in Prague until May 20th so we locked down your card because there was a purchase in Novy Bor on May 19th". Some places are fine and you just let them know what countries you are going to and very loose dates, sometimes they want your loving city by city itinerary.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
This week the total value of all my e-series went down $10, so so far not bad.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

Lexicon posted:

The whole point of index investing is that you aren't making company or country specific decisions beyond the initial top level allocation decision. China in the news? Who gives a poo poo - stick to your sensible allocation and forget about it.

This is the best investment advice. There's the old story about the investment company that looked back over the decades at the clients that performed best and they noticed a solid trend: the investor was dead, or had forgotten about their accounts. Specially with the e-series, just fire and forget. Don't try to time the market, don't read financial news and try to react to events, just forget and wait.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
How do I actually read these statements and see how my investments are doing. They never give percentages or gains, they just tell me a bunch of values, book value and current value and so on. Do I just want to compare the current value to the book value to see how much it's gone up or down since I bought the funds?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

Lexicon posted:

It's a bit trickier than that unfortunately as you're almost certainly reinvesting dividends, and that counts towards your book value. You're really best off keeping track of your own contributions and comparing that to the current value.

It seems crazy that they don't present you with little graphs or like, actual info...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
So next week I'm going to europe. Ukraine, CZ, and NL so I get to deal with 3 currencies. What's the least horrible way to get some currency of each country? Should I get it here or there? I also have this silly amazon card that I remember someone saying something about currency conversion is good or special with it. What should I do?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

Mantle posted:

Just learned that Coast Capital Savings will be discontinuing their on demand temporary cheques at the end of this year. Stock up on $2/12 cheques while you can, afterwards the cheapest will be about $45/100.

Yeah I buy 12 cheques a year to pay my rent, and I go to my branch to get them like a week before I renew my lease. They warned me this time though. Cheques and paying for cheques is dumb.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Maybe it's like when they officially tried to make sure government office buildings look crappy to not upset the tax paying peasants the government wants really bad web design so no one gets upset at opulent government web design.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
So it's been a while but I finally have the sustained reliable cash flow to start growing my TD E-series poo poo.

Right now I just have 3 of the e-series, the US one, international, and Canadian. About 50-40-10 respectively. I'm going to be contributing $250 bi-weekly (pay day) and wondering if I'm still more or less doing the right thing to just keep buying more funds in more or less that mix?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

Tipps posted:

It took more than an hour of waiting around, completing paperwork , and dealing with their retention pitches ("the market will rebound", "if you're in it for the long run, you won't notice", "these fees are actually very low compared to other banks", etc.), but I finally got my savings out of the 2% MER mutual funds and back into my plain TFSA. It will take a few days for the transfer to complete, but once it's done I will look into either opening up a 1% MER Tangerine index funds TFSA account, or opening an account with TD for their e-series once I have done enough research to make the crippling anxiety about doing this myself go away.

Thanks CanFin thread.

Congrats, I'm really excited to do this. If you go TD though get ready for having absolutely no way to understand what your funds are doing. Are they up? Down? Who knows, because the reports they give you are absolutely useless and you apparently need to create your own excel sheet with a bunch of formulas to track anything.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Jesus loving christ I just heard from a friend that they cashed out almost all their mutual funds and put them mostly into bonds "because of brexit". I'm hearing stories and "advice" like this more and more. "stocks are low, buy bonds"
You should have bought those bonds before Brexit you idiots, you don't sell now, you are selling low, you missed the window now the best thing to do is wait for things to go back up. I tried to explain that the markets going up and down is normal, and unless they need this money now this little dip is just going to be a blip over the 30 more years or whatever that they're sitting on these funds for retirement. But nope "Market is down, gotta sell!!"

I never understood when people would complain about "we HAD to cash out all our investments in 2008" or "our investments got wiped out". When people talk about "having" to cash out I assume they had some emergency and needed cash even if cashing out was at a loss, but nope, they just panic and cash out because they don't understand markets have ups and down. And when people say they "lost everything" I assumed it meant they had invested in poo poo that went out of business, but nope, they just panic sold in a really large downturn, or sometimes just were not diversified at all and were holding just a few specific stocks (specially where they work, hey if I own stocks in my own company it's like profit sharing!!!)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
"We can't afford the full vacation we planned this year, I just lost $40,000, we're going to have to cut back on spending"

Like... I just, my brain can't understand. You didn't lose $40,000, your investment's value dropped that much but unless you were needing to sell that all right now it doesn't change anything. Your day to day or year to year spending has nothing to do with these investments. Unless you were planning on cashing out some of your funds to pay for your big euro trip, how is this effecting things? Are people insane and don't understand that investments are for the long term and aren't cash?

These are the same people who will spend more on the same income because their house value went up. You can't spend that poo poo until you sell it! People seem to think they're as rich as their net-worth and spend accordingly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
It's more like seeing someone who makes 75k a year suddenly go spending crazy because their house keeps getting more and more valuable. They have the same job, the same income, they're just suddenly buying more stuff because they keep getting richer, but it's entirely tied up in their house value. It's not like you get monthly dividends from house equity, it's a one-time cash-out thing. Same with investments. Their funds are up, they go on a fancy vacation or buy a new car, funds down, they act like they just lost their job.

It ain't spending money until it's liquid, and it's not a loss you need to worry about until you plan on cashing out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
I asked my caddy what a "savings account" is and he told me it's where poor people who don't have their funds invested properly put their money.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

Aagar posted:

I really wonder what we'll say about this era 20-30 years down the road, when interest rates are back to normal and maybe the economy is more diversified than FIRE, oil and mining.

lol if you think the Canadian economy will ever recover or diversify significantly after the inevitable crash. (avoid canadian investments)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Don't listen to them, this is the one weird trick to make you richer than you think.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
I'm buying e-series funds through the awful TD easyweb interface and it's awful and the info it gives you every quarter really tells you gently caress all for how the fund is doing. You basically have to build your own excel sheet and track things your self. If you do it through waterhouse is the interface and feedback better? What's the minimum to have it for free?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
I think Canada's economy is trash and that trash is going to be on fire soon. I also think by living and working in Canada you're already massively "overexposed" to Canada so even 30% is way too much. I only have 10%. But that's just my opinion, maaaan.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
I like my TD e-series investments but their interface and total lack of reports that actually show how your funds are doing makes them a pain in the rear end. Is there a better alternative?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

Bajaha posted:

Get the direct investing account instead of just the e series mutual fund.

The direct investing has all the bells and whistles you want, and you can hold the exact same funds plus you have access to a lot more if you decide to invest in other funds or individual stocks.

I think there's a minimum balance across all your td accounts for them to waive the fee, $15k I think.

But that's still with TD though, I was looking for a non-td alternative that had funds similar to TD's e-series, ie low low to no fees.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

Bajaha posted:

I thought you wanted a nicer interface, which direct investing provides.

(Stolen from Google)

Let's you keep the same funds too if you don't have anything else against td other than the lack of a proper interface with reporting.

This looks nice, who cares about outsourcing/privacy because I'd trust any of the other banks about as far as I can throw them and I've got a fairly bad back. Is this a thing I'd switch over at my bank or the TD Waterhouse office next door?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
I'm going to print that interface out and take it to the local branch and point.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
So the reason I started my TD e-series stuff was that people like manulife charge 2-3% fees for everything, which I calculated would end up costing me about 100k by the time I "retired". How's Wealthsimple for fees?
The whole site looks reall slick and nice, but stuff like "put your home on airbnb and get $400! buy our gift cards! Look at our tattooed millennials giving you financial and life advice!" makes me really suspicious of the whole thing.

So it looks like wealthsimple charges .5 to .3 percent management fees plus about $500 a month, with yearly fees going UP as your portfolio grows. With TD I can get the same but with no 500-1000 a year fee for a slick interface and mobile app. I guess the question is, is wealthsimple worth 500-1000 a month for all it's fancy features?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 25, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
I was reading here
https://boomerandecho.com/nest-wealth-vs-wealthsimple-tale-two-robo-advisors/

But maybe this is out of date now? If it's just the .4 that's pretty competitive with TD's .33

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 25, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
This looks pretty good, should I pull the trigger? I'll get access to airport lounges!!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

Cold on a Cob posted:

If all you buy is ETFs and don't mind rebalancing a few times per year then a robo adviser is overkill and there are cheaper options. I do canadian couch potato with a discount broker and it costs me very little.

But anything is better than nothing, I would even recommend a Tangerine index fund over nothing.

We do joint accounts and sort of combine our TFSA limits to max those out as well (thanks harper) so it's sort of nice having someone to call for what is (to us) slightly trickier stuff like that.
Also airport lounge access! Throw in some Keg gift cards and I'm sold.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

pokeyman posted:

Obviously I don’t know you at all (beyond seeing your posts) so please feel free to tell me to get hosed if I’m way off base here; I promise I mean well.

Is there any chance that you’re hitting some kind of mental milestone (2 years invested, some round number of dollars across your investment accounts, etc.) and thinking you need to "level up" or "do more" or "look for the next step"? If so, it might be worth considering whether your current setup is actually humming along just fine and will continue to do so indefinitely. I’m worried that maybe you’re itching to shake things up in a game that’s won by sitting tight for a few decades.

I actually don't know how I'm doing because TD's basic interface is sort of trash and unless you do your own excel stuff tracking all your contributions it's hard to track your actual gains. I still have 90% of our money with a 3% manulife fund, part of the reason I started the TD thing was to prove to my wife we didn't need our "financial guy" and could do it on our own, but when she asks how the fund is doing or where the pretty graphs and nice understandable reports are I don't have much to show her. Something like Nest or Wealthsimple is almost on par with the fees TD charges except with a real nice interface and an app and pretty graphs and, when you need it, humans to walk you through things like how to most optimally split your TFSA's and all that. Personally I'm fine squirreling poo poo away behind some lovely interface and re balancing every couple quarters or year and not even knowing fully how things are going up and down because this poo poo is like a 25-30 year slow cooker and peeking at it doesn't make it grow faster.

What isnt humming along fine is manulife taking 3%+, that can get hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation

large hands posted:

But TD does do that stuff dude. I have all the graphs, but you want to pay a bunch more to save you the effort of figuring out how to log into TD webbroker, as far as I can tell.

I guess I feel like I'm not 100% qualified enough to do the 100% self-directed investing and might get more out of something like Nest or Wealthsimple in the long run.