Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Investing came up last night and a guy was telling me I was exposing my self to a lot of risk when I told him I've been trying to move away from having much Canadian exposure. "With trump it's dangerous to invest in the US, europe is unstable, and there might be nuclear war in Asia soon while Canada has a strong safe economy, that's why everyone's buying houses here and trying to move here" He thought I was a fool for not doubling down on Canada and ditching my foreign investments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah just got a letter in the mail about my amazon.ca card, it was pretty good for travel and had decent rewards. Guess I need to find a new one.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

namaste friends posted:

Has anyone actually managed to get a Home Trust Visa? I think it's been like 2 months since I applied and they keep asking me for documentation but still no card approval.

I applied about a month ago and haven't heard a peep from them. I ended up going to http://www.greedyrates.ca/ and just finding a card I liked from there, which is partially how I found the amazon.ca card we all liked before.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Still haven't heard a peep from that home trust credit card, nothing a month later.
Meanwhile the PC Financial Mastercard I applied to last week has arrived.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Are the TD e-series still ok?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My home trust visa just arrived, like 3 months after I applied and got no confirmation email of any sort. I already got a replacement card so now I'm just going to call and cancel it??

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://simpletax.ca/

It's so loving easy and automatic. I love them so much for making expensive lovely tax software or walk-in tax places pretty much obsolete for the average filer. Usually just give them all or half my return as a donation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My investments are hosed but I'm in it long term. Should I panic sell all my e-series TD index funds or just ride this out for another 10+ years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

xtal posted:

Absolutely the latter, but this is a good time to consider and adjust your risk tolerance. If things like this are making you consider panic selling, the next time you invest, you can try to balance more in favour of bonds rather than stocks.

I went in 100% high risk knowing there'd be large ups and downs. I'm just worried "this time it's different" and will never recover and this is the end of capitalism. But if capitalism still exists when I retire, great, I have these funds and they're up overall. If it doesn't exist and we actually have a working civilization then great, I don't need to worry about money anymore. Or it's a fascist mad max situation and my investments wouldn't have mattered anyways.