Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
For people filing with a spouse or with capital gains (stupid work share grants which are a pittance but a pain in the rear end to figure out) will simpletax work? This definitely interests me as someone who most years just goes with turbotax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wow, simpletax is fantastic.

I like how it's all on one page instead of having to switch between a gazillion pages like in Quicktax.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tangerine is free on scotiabank as well, which 7-11 have switched to btw.

I have both Simplii and Tangerine accounts and overall I prefer Tangerine’s website and app.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have a visa infinite card but I don’t know if I fly enough to make aeroplan points worth it. Is there a better rewards card these days?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have a Tangerine and a Simplii account, Tangerine doesn't support US wire transfers but I think Simplii does. Does anyone do this? I have an E-Trade account for work stuff and it would be nice to wire transfer instead of mailing a cheque. Just wondering if it gets deposited in CAD and who does the exchange from USD, if anyone knows.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

Now that tangerine has dropped its cash back rates, what is the best cash back card available. Or are there other good cards besides cash back that are worth looking into?

My wife got an invite for some new tangerine card, I can’t remember the details but it looked good. Might not be out yet for general people.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have an etrade account for my work, in USD. It’s annoying because my main bank (tangerine) doesn’t do wire transfers. So my method is they mail me a cheque in USD then I send that to Tangerine in toronto and they deposit in my USD account. Takes about 2-3 weeks and then they put a 3 week hold on it. It rules, great system.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was a pc financial person before and still have a simplii account so I will probably use their wire transfer in the future, less pain in the butt.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah they didn’t use to have the 3 week hold on my US cheque deposits either, so I’m souring on them too. Ive already moved my savings account out and my RRSP/TFSA staging area. Plus I don’t use their mastercard much anymore.. Need a new upstart bank now that they’re presumably being scotiabank-ized.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My mortgage is up in April and I was going to reup with TD again, current offer for me on a 5 year closed (with 15% payable down per year) is 2.56% on the phone app renew but going in next week to see if I can do even better..

Future plan is to get an additional mortgage for a full house rebuild but that’ll be a couple years out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I need to plug some formulas to decide to move over to questrade from wealthsimple, I suppose. I like wealthsimple just because it’s super easy but questrade seems pretty straightforward too. I probably won’t move in the middle of markets pantshittery, though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Are there any good options for US $ bank accounts that don’t keep a hold on deposits from US sources for weeks?

I have an etrade account with my employer and when I sell shares they mail me the cheque and I deposit it into tangerine USD account but they have a really long hold time on it (3 weeks) and it’s annoying. I swear it used to be a lot shorter too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

pokeyman posted:

RBC Bank (the US-domiciled offshoot of RBC Royal Bank (the Canadian bank)) hasn't held anything deposited for me. And it can accept ACH transfers, which you could probably hook up to Etrade to make that part easier, if that sounds useful. The RBC Bank checking account does have a monthly fee though.

Yeah avoiding fees was a biggie for me, but I might just have to bite the bullet.

You’d think the bank that holds my mortgage could give me a free chequing account or something, bastards.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I do have a simplii account too and I think it takes wire xfers for a fee so it might be worth a try. Tangerine doesn’t support wire transfers at all.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hm I didn’t even think of that, that’s worth a shot.

Honestly it’s fine right now I don’t need the cash immediately but it would really suck if I wanted to get it quicker than a month after the whole sale of shares, mailing cheques around etc stacked on top of it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

cowofwar posted:

Tangerine is offering a VISA debit upgrade to client cards. Don’t accept it. When a credit card incurs fraudulent transactions you have a lot of protection and aren’t out the money. If your client card/chequing account/savings account gets a fraudulent transaction then you’re hosed until the investigation concludes in your favour (it wont). Never use VISA debit. Only use your client card at bank based ABMs.

Good tip, I got that email and was like “nah” because I never use debit due to cash back visa etc. But it is a good reason to be wary.

On the visa front, any tips on getting annual fees waived? I have a cibc dividend infinite with the first year free but that is up in december. Any good options to potentially jump to to avoid the fees? I do get a lot more in cash back than what it’ll cost, but I just hate fees on CCs..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

odiv posted:

Are there public Canadian companies that are poised to do well if US rail gets a big boost?

https://twitter.com/samjmintz/status/1318910466798780416

... I just like trains ok?

The PNW line would go from Vancouver BC to portland, but this has been talked about for ages so who knows.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dumb banking question, I had been having all sorts of issues getting wire transfers from etrade US (work benefit stock plan) because I have tangerine. So I opened a CIBC personal US$ account and wire transferred into that. However it seems like there are no options to transfer to external accounts like tangerine. The only other CIBC product I have is the visa dividend card.

If I call them up can I arrange a transfer to my Tangerine USD?

I loving hate all the hoops this goddamn stock plan has with the lovely brokerage and wire transfers in US funds etc etc. First world white collar problems I know but it takes an unreasonable amount of time and effort on my behalf :effort:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sassafras posted:

No personal experience, but I know you can link the USD Tangerine account to other Canadian banks' USD accounts from the Tangerine side (2x xx cent deposits, etc) and then initiate transfers the usual Tangerine way.

Yah I did that expecting it would be bidirectional but it is not, I can go Tangerine -> CIBC US but neither side has the option to transfer in the other direction. Whereas when I linked my Tangerine and a joint Simplii account I could go both directions from within Tangerine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

unknown posted:

Is it not possible to do a bank wire/swift transfer? It's generally not an online product, but commonly done in a branch. They're used all the time for businesses cross border/international.

Just get the swift account details from the your recipient bank branch (a bit more detailed than regular info), as they're critical so your money doesn't go to the wrong place as it's a huge process to get it back.

Yeah, I think that's what I'll end up doing.. Kinda wish I had known it was a hassle to transfer out with that account, it's kind of a half assed chequing account and it doesn't have interac e-transfers etc.. Means I'll have to call in and talk to a human (gross)

It's annoying Tangerine can't accept wire/swift transfers, it would definitely streamline the process getting funds out of e-trade.. I could possibly do it into a simplii joint account but they don't have a US$ option.. Sigh.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I use the ios face scanner deelie so I never noticed the change. It always did seem kind of not the most secure system so glad they are getting 2FA.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dumb question for RRSPs: if I want to dump cash in my RRSP and know my contribution limit but don't know how much actually went in because the places are being slow in preparing my slips for me, can I put in my best guess and if it's a bit over just not claim that portion til a following year? IE is there a problem to overcontribute if you don't claim it that year? Never been clear on that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Square Peg posted:

The limit is on contribution, not claimed amount. Both my parents managed to over contribute to their RRSPs and had to pay a pretty penny in fees, so I wouldn't risk it. Can't you just look at the contribution transactions since March 1 and sum it up yourself?

Yeah I suppose I could do that, I was hoping I could just make it easy, ah well.

One of them is a real pain because they didn't break it out cleanly due to it being a pension plan.

I'm fairly sure my new employer didn't deduct enough for the first couple amounts so I want to minimize that if possible, I saved all the extra so I'm fine to cover it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Good info, thanks!

I wish I could have my dang T4s already. I can tally up all the salary but it’s the various benefits etc that are the unknown. I just want to get taxes over and done with, basically!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

yippee cahier posted:

The government should start cracking down on this stuff, eventually forcing places to generate a running tally up to date slip the moment you contribute. Same with a T4. I should be able to file my taxes on January 2nd.

:agreed:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

So my employer for most of last year is being extremely slow with T4s and this is bugging me.

Related question, how does RPP factor into RRSP contribution room? Are they the same or totally different? This employer was doing RPP, and I can see how much was contributed for all of 2023. My new employer is regular RRSP so I have that sheet for the tail end of 2023. I just want to bring my taxes down the maximum amount because it sounds like due to the new company under with-holding on the signing bonus I might trip some thing where I will go on instalments for future years even though I will just pay the taxes required on filing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Aaugh annoying I really need that T4 then. Emailed them about it. Apparently even people still working there haven’t got theirs yet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

pokeyman posted:

It's due by the end of February, right? Probably shouldn't expect much.

Yeah I almost always have gotten other company ones by end of Jan so I’m just used to it. Plus would have the RRSP slips so could contribute before the deadline.. with the RPP though, I’m stuck waiting.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Any good tips on finding an accountant for the future? I should probably just finally get one, not that my taxes are super complex it just would be good to know that I’m managing my finances properly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Our tax filing is pretty simple too for most people, but it probably could be even easier.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

So finally got my T4s, maxed out my rrsp, and going to be owing some. If I am over $3k owing does it automatically go on installments for next year for the same amount I was off (owing ~$4500) or my entire expected tax?

I basically got a signing bonus that the company didn’t calculate the tax holdbacks correctly. I set it aside to pay the expected tax immediately but it sucks if I have to go on this installment thing it sounds like.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ohh ok good so one time in a row they don’t do that. Ok then no problem, thanks!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

drat that sucks. At least my ex-employer got the thumb out and sent it out mid last week, but after RRSP deadline would be really lovely.

Perhaps the tax ombudsperson? Or at the very least their office would probably know who to direct complaints to. Ombudsperson is more for complaining about the organization (CRA) I think.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I worked with a dude who was all in on the colloidal silver thing for any health ailment. I really hoped he would show up to work one day looking like a Smurf.

He also filled in his wife’s absentee ballot (she’s American living in Canada, he’s Canadian) for 2016 to vote trump and he was very proud of that fact (despite confessing to a felony).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

So as long as you are less than $2k over your RRSP contribution limit you are not penalized right, does it affect your limit for next year?

Got a late slip that I had totally forgotten about and looks like I will just be under the 2k :ohdear:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

tragic_ethos posted:

Yeah, less than $2k is okay, although I believe this is a lifetime limit. If this extra $2k contribution was in the first 60 days of 2024 though, you might not technically be in over contribution territory as you are just using up your 2024 contribution room.

Ohhh yeah it was. Ok that’s good to know!

I really gotta get more organized with what is getting contributed but last year was a bit of a weird one with changing jobs etc.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Any good ways to find accountants in the area? I think I should get one.

Wondering if there are some good ways to find out that suits my needs, would want to have some stuff dealing with capital gains from espp/rsus, kid stuff like resps etc..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’m in Vancouver area, RSUs do show up on taxes (withheld to cover tax too) so it’s nothing too freaky. I have been using Wealthsimple tax and probably leaving money on the table due to deductions I don’t know about.