Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
Gotta hit that monthly product quota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
Anybody have any advice/recommendations for changing banks? I signed up with TD when I was 14 because they were right by my house, but their savings interest rates/chequing account conditions are absolute poo poo (customer service/branch hours is excellent though) and I'm tired of leaving money on the table for no reason. Is it as easy as walking into another bank and telling them I want to transfer everything over, going to TD and telling them I'm leaving, and then it's done?

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'm just thinking from a day-to-day banking level. Right now I have a choice to either pay $10/month for my chequings account or never dip below a $2500 balance. When I look at throwing a downpayment out there, $2500/$10 a month is not substantial but it's still $2500/$120 a year. I organize my budget via savings accounts, so I have multiple accounts making 0.35% and when I look at something like ING, I could be getting 1.35%.

I'm not in a place where I'm looking at long-term investing just yet, aside from my RSP match through work. As I get my mortgage situation handled and finalized, I'm just trying to streamline my day-to-day banking so I can get the best return. Then I can mess around with investment options.

reflex fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 25, 2013

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

How easy is it to transfer money cross-institution? The closest ING ABM is a 5min walk from work, but a 30min drive from home. If I need money on the weekend, the only real option I have is transferring cash to my TD account and using my TD debit card to withdraw that, right? That surely would take a couple business days?

EDIT: How does ING make money? There surely is some bs cash grab somewhere in there, right?

reflex fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 25, 2013

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Do you goons transfer money between your ING and other banks? How long does it take for that transfer to be recognized?

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I have a general question for you Canadian money wizards: how cautious is too cautious when dealing with real estate? In my mind, I want to have a $55,000 for downpayment/realtor costs/associated costs/minimal furniture + $25,000 in liquid funds for emergencies. But there is no way in hell everyone who buys an apartment/condo is just rolling in to the bank with 75-80 large in liquid funds, right? How do people afford to own?

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I have six months of expenses holed up, but keeping it completely liquid is only getting me 1% interest. Is it a bad idea to keep one month completely liquid and invest the other five in low-to-moderate risk portfolios to try and get a little more? My ultimate plan would be if life went sideways, live on the one month money while I withdraw the other five.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Here's a general TFSA question: let's say I've maxxed it out and thrown $25,500 in there. I have a good year and end with a 5% return so my TFSA is now at $26,775, but then something happens and I have to withdraw it all. Once January 1 rolls around, is my contribution limit $25,500 + $5,500 or $26,775 + $5,500?

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Tax Efficiency Question (line 330): According to the CRA, you can claim eligible medical expenses paid in any 12-month period ending in 2013 and not claimed for 2012. Generally, you can claim all amounts paid, even if they were not paid in Canada.

As I did not hit the minimum threshold in 2013 medical expenses to warrant a tax break, can I wait until next year and claim all my 2013 and 2014 medical expenses on my 2014 return, thus giving me 24 months to hit the minimum threshold? The way I interpret "any 12-month period ending in 2013" implies that anything from January 1, 2013 would be fair game on my 2014 return.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

That makes a lot more sense. I felt like I was missing something and that was it. Still have to start documenting my medical expenses in a central place so I can pick out the best 12-month period for next year though. Thanks!

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Am I going to cause a ruckus if I open a second TFSA savings account and transfer money from one to the other? They will both be through TD and I will directly transfer the money from TFSA to TFSA. I just want to create some mental seperation between my 6 month seatbelt and my downpayment savings.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

By "transfer" I meant a transfer via TD's easyweb. It takes the money from one account, throws it to another. No cash, doesn't hit some middle account. Just account to account. TFSA 1 -> TFSA 2. But by the amount of :siren:s, it sounds like I should just go in and talk to my branch first.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I want to open a TFSA TD e-series to start dabbling in the couch potato models. I do all my banking through TD and my 1% TFSA savings account has no more contribution room until January 1. Here is how I understand it to work. Can somebody please correct me where needed?

1. Go to TD branch, open a TFSA mutual fund account. Do not buy any funds yet.
2. Fill out the account transfer form and mail it in. In a week or so my TFSA mutual fund account will be converted into a TFSA e-series.
3. I can then use the money in my 1% TFSA to start purchasing products for my TFSA e-series. Would this count as a TFSA to TFSA transfer, or would it count as a withdrawal and deposit elsewhere (leading to over contributions)? I assume this is all handled over EasyWeb?

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Is there a minimum age to turn an RSP in RRIF?

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Is there a logical reason to put more than 20% down on a house? At 20% you don't need mortgage insurance, but beyond that it seems you would come out ahead if potential investments can beat your mortgage rate (at current rates that doesn't seem impossible).

Then only reason I can think of is that you really hate having a mortgage.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Aagar posted:

So NewsTalk 1010 was discussing the new ORPP being rolled out by the OLP (2017 is the start date), and just making GBS threads all over it. "Forcing people to save" (how terrible!), "People need that money for gas and stuff" (... okay?), and just treating it like it will be a huge hardship while we are being further coddled by the nanny state.

Between the numbers they were giving and looking up a few articles, I have been able to glean (and please correct me if I'm wrong):

- if your employer does not have a private retirement saving plan in place, people earning <$90,000 will be contributing 1.9% of their income, to be matched by the employer.
- the plan intends to pay out 15% of your income/year when you retire.

So, using a $45,000/year income, you would be expected to pay $788/year (or $66/mo) into the plan. The argument "but poor people spend all their income!" seems moot, because those people earning less (say, $20,000/year) would only contribute $33/mo. Which could still be a hardship, but they were using the $66/mo as a catchall for everyone without considering salary.

Now, assuming someone was 20 and made $45,000 for 40 years, they would pay in $788 x 40 = $31,520 total. The employer would match them, so it would be $63,040 for your working life.

Taking 15% of that $45,000, you'd get $6,750/year from the government (on top of CPP and maybe OAS). That would mean, after 4.7 years, you'd get out what you put in (I believe they said it would be inflation adjusted, so everything in real dollars).

I dunno - sounds like a great deal to me as a contributor? I can obviously see the downside for businesses, and I'm not sure how the math works for the pension to be paying out so much for so little invested by the average contributor, but assuming it doesn't lead to massive layoffs or the whole pension going tits up, won't it overall be a good benefit?

I've been lurking a while and have been using the advice to get my investments sorted (I wish I had found this thread 8 years ago, but can't change the past so it's time to double down on investing enough for retirement and putting the money in funds that don't hose you with big MERs). Once I've got everything under my control I'm sure I'll be in looking for advice.

At the surface it just sounds like a supplemental provincial CPP. Government takes money now in the expectation you'll get money later.

I would love to opt out of CPP and EI though.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Looking to open some TD eSeries on the personal TD account. I want to open three total: TFSA, RSP, and straight unregistered. From what I understand, all I need to do is set up an appointment at my local branch, answer all the questions like I'm baller so they don't limit what stock:bond allocation I can buy, mail in the eSeries conversion forms, and wait a couple weeks.

I'm just surfing through the RedFlagDeal eSeries thread and there's a lot of talk about administration fees, etc. I thought it was just low MERs and everything else doesn't cost, unless you're getting pegged for early withdrawls. Can anyone with eSeries confirm?

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

And then if I ever need to withdraw that money for whatever reason, I can set up the TFSA eSeries to dump into my TFSA savings account, and likewise RSP eSeries --> RSP Daily Savings Account?

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Fair enough. A thing that pops up over and over from what I read is that eSeries are not customer friendly at all and you kind of have to figure everything out yourself. I think it'd fair to expect a certain decline in customer service if you're paying lower fees though.

EDIT: Also transferring from TD TFSA Savings Account to TD eSeries TFSA doesn't count as withdrawing from TFSA to buy back in, correct? i.e. no contribution room is lost for the year.

reflex fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 7, 2014

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

reflex posted:

Also transferring from TD TFSA Savings Account to TD eSeries TFSA doesn't count as withdrawing from TFSA to buy back in, correct? i.e. no contribution room is lost for the year.

I am on the phone with e-Series right now and this is not the case. I am being told e-Series accounts can only be linked to my main chequings account. They can transfer RSP savings account --> RSP e-Series over the phone, but I'm being told TFSA savings account cannot transfer to TFSA e-Series. I have to withdraw the TFSA amount, wait until January 1, and then transfer from chequings back into TFSA e-Series. Has this been everyone's experience?

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I went to set up mutual funds with TD a handful of weeks ago. They pushed regular contributions hard, but I was to get away without it. They did require a minimum $100 initial contribution though. Your friends can probably just cancel the autopay with a phone call to TD Investment Services if the branch rep was a little pushy.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

National Post is reporting Harper is going to jack up the TFSA limit to $10g/year. Party time! :toot:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/10/03/harper-government-to-hand-voters-spring-tax-cuts-aided-by-shrinking-federal-deficit/

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

How do RESP withdrawls work? I was talking with a bud about paying for future kid's school, etc. and he had a really good idea of having the kid pay for post-secondary upfront, and then reimbursing the kid upon good grades. Would that be something you can do with RESPs?

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

He didn't mention RESPs at all--I'm just branching out to see if such a thing would be possible with RESPs because I agree with him in not blindly paying for a kid's post secondary. And clearly it's not.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Olive Branch posted:

Indeed, this is my fifth month investing ever and seeing my numbers in parentheses (is that how Questrade indicates negatives?) for the past few weeks has been an exercise in remembering not to touch my stuff!
I'm in the same boat. It's really interesting reading about people :homebrew:selling when it's low to save what they can:homebrew:, but when it's my actual money, a little bit of self preservation does kick in.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

To open e-series, you have to open a regular mutal funds account for every type of account you want. So if you want RSP, TFSA, and non-registered e-Series accounts, you have to open a regular mutal funds account for each (so three total). You then must complete this form for each of the accounts to convert them into e-series. Mail them in. You will know the conversion has gone through when the branch number for the account changes to 2378 (you can easily see these branch numbers in EasyWeb). You now have access to e-funds when purchasing mutual funds.

EDIT: Also it seems YMMV depending on the person at your bank, but mine made me commit either a $25/month ongoing contribution to each account or initial $100 contribution to open each account. I have heard of people not having to contribute anything, and some who were forced to put some money down.

reflex fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I currently do all my banking with TD (including one visa). Thinking of getting a Scotia Bank Visa because the rewards would get be another $200/year for continuing to use my credit card to buy everything (and paying it back monthly of course). I am also looking to buy a house in the short to mid future (5-10 years) so credit is important. What would I do with my TD Visa? Just leave it open, close it? I've never worried about credit score before so I'm not really sure what to do. I've also had this one visa card for six years (my only credit card ever).