Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

just another posted:

Any general advice on mortgages at the moment? Broker quoted me a five-year variable 1.45% and a five-year fixed @ 2.09%.

When I was a kid, mortgage rates were around 21%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I’d suggest having your taxes done professionally this year.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Yeah, I haven't used that one specifically, but with things like Home Depot and Leons, if you're able to pay it off on time, every month, and will never miss a payment, it's great. Just read the fine print; a lot of times a single missed payment suddenly lands the full interest over the entire life of the loan on top of you.

Like any credit-card type system, the people who carry balances are subsidizing the people who don't.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Oh yeah, I was going to mention that part too. Yeah, pay it off a month or two early; even if there's absolutely nothing nefarious, it's still worth paying 22/month instead of 20/month or whatever to avoid 19.99% interest.

Another thing to watch for is the one where if you use it for multiple purchases, they all get lumped together. Buy a couch, then a year later, buy a refrigerator, then six months later miss a payment? Boom, they're lumped together, now you owe interest on both.

This is also why you should avoid rent to own places.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

slidebite posted:

I found a missed T5 after in a stack of mail I forgot about. It's not much, just over $100 (interest) but I'd rather not risk an audit or anything. Is it simple to refile with the added receipt?

Yes, but take a look at your notice of whatchermacallit, CRA might already have tacked it on for you. They already have a copy of it, after all....

Also, yet another call for Return Free Filing.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Lets say you have a company that has issued 100 shares.

Those shares are selling at a buck each.

So, they do a reverse stock split.

The company now has 10 shares at 10 dollars a piece.

The total valuation hasn't changed; 100 bux.

But hot drat, each share is now worth ten dollars! If the price goes up by 10%, instead having ten shares that each go up a dime, you now own a share that goes up one whole dollar! A WHOLE DOLLAR! STONKS! TO THE MOON!

The reverse split itself doesn't affect the value. The market's reaction, however, may affect the overal valuation of the company. But then, so does the CEO's choice of tie.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
My guess would be 'no, he doesn't have a case. He gambled, he lost.'

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Yeah, this. CRA doesn't care. It's a 100 dollar error. They'll chalk it up to, you know, you forgot that slip, it got lost in the mail, whatever.

The T slips get submitted to them, too. Either they already figured out that the error doesn't affect anything, or they'll just wind up fixing it for you at some point.

If you submit a correction, they'll process it and let you know if somebody owes something money.

I spent ten years not putting my first time home owner's repayments on my taxes, because I noticed they just edited it in for me and let me know they'd done it.

CRA gets that sometimes you lose the paper slip that they had electronically submitted to they by your bank. They don't care. It's not worth their time to worry about a 100 dollar mistype on a tax form.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I sold my house in April, and moved in with my partner, so I didn't have to just drop the proceeds on a new house.

So I stuck them in an RRSP. Which then proceeded to drop like a rock.

As of about yesterday, it's back up to where it started.

My xgro and vgro portfolio dropped a few percent, so I took the opportunity to buy a bunch more.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
How do we feel about REIT ETFs?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
So, no intrinsic issues or gotchas with them, just the standard “do your homework,” sounds like.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I just like the part where the writer starts out by chiding the asker for not having known the stock would tank and selling beforehand.

“Step 1: using your Time Machine…….”

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

pokeyman posted:

It's due by the end of February, right? Probably shouldn't expect much.

I've always wondered why, given that 'generate T4' is built into any payroll or accounting software that isn't a giant ledger book on a pedestal, it always seems to be such a hassle for companies to get them out.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

mila kunis posted:

I got my T4 but this year I also have to wait on a 'T4FHSA'. I wonder why this needed a form from your bank and you can't just declare deposits like you can with your RRSP.

In any case I wish this poo poo would just autofile itself without needing my input, there's nothing complicated about my taxes and the CRA has all the data they already need. loving tax software lobby.

The lack of return free filing isn't the tax lobby's fault, it's the CRA choosing to not do it. We already have laws in place that tax software must have a free option to netfile basic returns; I did free filing through Turbotax for years, then free filing through WealthSimple.

Now, in America, yes, the tax software companies do keep the free options down, and very very hidden.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Just a reminder, you can request the T2200 'work from home' form from your employer if you have any sort of WFH agreement in place, despite the form itself saying that it has to be part of your contract.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-ag...led-method.html

quote:

Your employer required you to work from home
This requirement does not have to be part of your employment contract, however, it should be a written or verbal agreement.

For 2023, if an employee has voluntarily entered into a formal telework arrangement with their employer, the employee is considered to have been required to work from home.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
People have a weird idea that gold and silver have universal, intrinsic value. Which is easily disproven with the most cursory look at historical prices.

It makes great currency medium because it doesn’t rust or decay quickly, but it’s still just a placeholder for value that everybody has to agree on.

But if you’re stocking up for “the end of the world as we know it,” you’d be better off hoarding toothpaste, tampons, hunting ammunition, things like that.

And at that point, learn how to build a still, and memorize the Norfolk four course rotation. Or stock up on football pads, spikes, black leather, and hair gel.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

themongol posted:

I'm a big dum and over contributed to my 2023 RRSP. I've spoken to a CRA agent, withdrew the excess contribution from the RRSP account after 2 months of not noticing it. The withdrawl was done in 2023 proper, and for ~5k so over the 2k wiggle room. I undersatnd that I need to file a T3012A form (according to weathsimple: https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-ca/learn/rrsp-over-contribution#the_bottom_line). I also understand that since I haven't file my 2023 taxes yet, this convercontribution is not "already deducted." Does anyone have any tips or experience or resources they can share? I do intend to call CRA again to make sure I do it right, but any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Find a local accountant who does tax submissions. Bonus points if they used to work for CRA.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

How's Desjardens compared to Turbotax? I like the idea of maybe paying someone to double check everything and try to get me deductions that I otherwise might have missed.

Honestly, find a local accountant that does tax prep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

T.C. posted:

The best thing to do is ask competent people that you know. It's not a thing people generally treat as private so you can bring it up in conversation even with random acquaintances

Yup, this.

Can be as easy as posting 'hey, anybody have an accountant they recommend for personal taxes' to facebook or whatever.

Bonus points if the accountant used to work for CRA.