Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I just opened up a Tangerine account, and one of my co-workers said their financial advisor said it wasn't actually a bank and to be careful.

Is this advisor full of it?

Or should I dismiss the concerns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
How does one even invest considering the ridiculous renting market in most of Northern Ontario?

I'm super interested in getting something started, but my seed would be <50$.

Is it even worth it? Any advice?

I'm a 29yo and make less than $32k a year (I'm a line cook).

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

jm20 posted:

Pick a new job where you live that pays more and do that. If you plan to move consider your income post expenses, i.e. Don't become a line cook in Toronto.

Cooking is all I know, and I'm in Timmins- which I would say is worse than Toronto lmao

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

HookShot posted:

Oh my loving God I just looked up housing rental prices in Timmins out of curiosity and dude you have no idea how loving cheap rentals are in Timmins compared to any real city.

Outside of mining and nursing, most jobs are minimum wage. Or barely better. I did better in Toronto.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

HookShot posted:

Then move back to Toronto or train so that you make more money, but complaining about super ridiculous Timmins rental prices is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Forget I asked for advice

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

Is it me or does Tangerine not do instant bill payments now? Before I'd select 'Now' and then hit pay and it woulda instantly deduct. Now it ... schedules it every time. It just got scheduled to midnight tonight. Is this a bug or working as intended?

My credit card payments used to be immediate, but now take a day. I don’t know what changed, but I noticed it too.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

Every time I think of the new design I get triggered. It's so bad in every way. A big reason I switched away.

I’ve been considering switching ever since the design change. What else is there worth considering?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Jan posted:

The Tangerine redesign hate seems like such overreaction -- yeah, it's a step backwards and it takes me like 30 seconds more to pay bills each time... But is that worth switching to the Big 5 and getting hosed by fees everywhere? :shrug:

I can’t imagine I’d switch to another big bank due to the design change. But if there’s another decent bank similar in scope to Tangerine, I’d at least consider it.

I liked the old design. I liked the fact that I didn’t need to press eight buttons to do one thing. The new transaction details is slow and bothersome. I don’t like the idea of categorizing in my bank app. I already use Mint and YNAB and this is just extra noise.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I’m in Northern Ontario and my only credit union experience was with my girlfriends prior to her switching to Tangerine. It was Northern Credit Union. Their customer service (in person AND on the phone) was the worst I’ve ever seen.

And their fees were higher than mine were with CIBC prior to my switch.

And the only other ones are a Desjardin-backed Caisse Populaire (I don’t speak French) and a Community First, who seems stuck in the past.

Ain’t much going for Credit Unions for me.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Lexicon posted:

What's the best bank in Canada from a UX perspective? I'm through with Tangerine... can't stand their lovely website any longer. Willing to pay a monthly fee or keep a $4k minimum balance or whatever. Oh, and it should have MFA too #BecauseIts2018.

I’m not the only one frustrated with their changes? I’ve been considering looking at BMO, TD, or Scotia just because their banks are around the corner from my house.

I’m curious to hear anyone else’s opinions.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Me and my fiance are currently looking into setting up an RRSP and TFSA. Where is the de facto "best place" for these things? Wealthsimple? Tangerine?

Help a bum out?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
So, we fly out to Arctic Quebec in a week and the company we work for is paying our rent, utilities, and basic phone over the next few years plus giving us a pretty substantial grocery allowance (even considering the expensive prices that far North). Managing a little grocery store in an Inuit hamlet that's fly-in only. My question is: I've never not had bills before. What's the best way to save up for a house downpayment? TFSA? RRSP? HISA? Should I also put an emergency account aside?

This is a new experience. Not living cheque to cheque, lol.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Is WealthSimple worth anything? I finally paid off my debt and since I'm not paying rent, mortgage, utilities, and internet while I'm out in Arctic Quebec- I'm looking for a place to set my nest egg for a downpayment. Gonna be maxing out my RRSP, most of my TFSA, and putting the rest in high-interest savings and right now WealthSimple looks like my best option.

Edit: Essentially just looking for a place to throw my money at and not really think about for 3-5 years while I build a nice nest.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
With everything dropping, is now the time to continue investing my money? I only just started an investment account a couple weeks ago. Going with the VBAL but haven’t been through a downturn before. I don’t wanna pull, but have plans to invest about $30,000 in the next couple of months. Should I wait?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Is VGRO still the recommended ETF? Finally moved all my money from Wealthsimple’s Invest roboadvisor to Trade. Not sure where to put about $15k.

Any advice?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
We managed to save up $25k over the pandemic. Wife’s family is pushing us to buy a house. I currently have it all in the stock market. Wife wants a house, I don’t. This wasn’t a conversation until we had money for a down payment.

We live in the North (Cochrane area). Would you guys suggest holding onto our money and not getting a mortgage or buying a cheap fixer upper? I don’t have friends or family to ask. Foster kid who works too much to have a social life, lol.

We looked at a house for $149k, 3bdrm 2 bathroom, with about $50k of working needing to be done and that was the only decent option.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

pokeyman posted:

What's your current housing situation? Why is your wife's family pushing y'all? How long do you foresee yourself living where you'd buy?

Buying a house seems like a pain in the rear end, and managing the project of fixing one up sounds even worse (I'm not at all handy and would just be hiring most of it out). Unless renting is truly terrible or costs like double+ what owning costs in your area, I vote "rent and invest".

We’re currently leaving the Arctic (Nunavik region) so we have no housing, no furniture, no anything. We’ll be sleeping at her family’s house until we figure out what we’re doing.

A mortgage on a 3bdrm house is roughly $550 for us vs renting a 3bdrm apartment is $1200-1400 plus about $200-300 in utilities during the winter.

Small town housing prices are still a wonderful thing… it’s just that no one up here seems to take pride in maintaining their properties.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Is Canadian Couch Potato guy done blogging? I know he was done with his podcast, but I like his style.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Any rec’s on the best hisa? I just started to put money aside for an emergency fund but the 1% offered by tangerine seems a little low

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Right now I’m using Wealthsimple Cash as my primary holdings but have been looking for a proper bank to pay bills through as they still don’t have bill payment systems.

I have been using Tangerine for years but EQ Bank has been looking good, not just for emergency fund.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

pokeyman posted:

I'm about to start tracking expenses using a plain ol' spreadsheet, if that helps!

I just don’t know how to go about building one that accounts for spending and categorizing. Finding a tutorial for something like that is really hard,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Is it difficult to declare bankruptcy? My ex fiance left me with so much debt in my name that I can’t keep up now that I’m single.