Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Bucswabe posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask in (and please tell me if it isn't).

I'm finding more and more, in my social circle, people asking about whether our economy can handle these ongoing COVID relief packages (in regards to overall debt, or hyperinflation).

I'd like to be able to counter with arguments about the money we spend subsidizing big business or providing tax relief for the wealthy and I'm wondering if anyone has a good source for that?

The economy is driven by consumers, without relief there are no consumers and without consumers there is no economy. That’s why even the US is bailing people out.

It’s a dumb hand wringing concern, what is the alternative? Bailing people out for a couple months is expensive and pauses the economy and likely will result in a recession, but not doing anything and hanging all the people out to dry would trigger a massive depression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Good to maintain a Tangerine account in order to take advantage of their bonus interest periods every year.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
20% is not a great return given the massive risk exposure of that portfolio.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I have a Tangerine mastercard (the ~better~ one) and had an issue with some merchant and Tangerine told me they straight up reject some merchants by default unless the cardholder calls in because they get so many fraudulent transactions.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Tangerine is offering a VISA debit upgrade to client cards. Don’t accept it. When a credit card incurs fraudulent transactions you have a lot of protection and aren’t out the money. If your client card/chequing account/savings account gets a fraudulent transaction then you’re hosed until the investigation concludes in your favour (it wont). Never use VISA debit. Only use your client card at bank based ABMs.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

slidebite posted:

So....

Had a chat with someone over thanksgiving and found a relative of mine does their own self directed investing.. which I thought was cool as I had no idea anyone else in my family did.

Problem though, they are to the point of having health issues with stress over the presidential election and the market effects wants to cash out most of their equity based investments (mostly ETF from the sounds of it) until January.

Of course I mentioned long term, don't time the market, etc, but it's something they seem pretty set on doing.

Is there an ETF that is relatively "safe" to dump non-insignificant sums of money (probably mid 6-figures?) into for the short/medium term?

They could easily sell and keep as cash in the acct and sit on it of course, which is what I think the plan is, but buying *something* might be worthwhile.

They need to talk to an advisor because their portfolio doesn’t match their risk profile. Don’t be their advisor.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Jenkl posted:

Why do they need to pay 2% to take a short quiz that tells them they should be conservative-moderate not balanced-growth?

They've honestly proved that they are not capable of assessing their own risk tolerance and portfolio; consequently, self-management is not for them. Yes they will lose 2% or whatever which is better than knee-jerk withdrawals that could lost them 20%.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I assume this would be $25B for an expansion of the same crap and not high speed or electrified lines.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I am running VAB for bonds exposure, what’s a good equivalent for non-canadian more diverse bonds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Charge suckers fees to take their money and loan it to others with interest :capitalism: