Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

My mom is going on a trip to Europe but doesn't have a debit or credit card and is being told that Sweden is mostly cashless and she'll need a card of some sort. Regardless of if this is true or not, I'd rather not just have her out there with a wad of cash, so I'm looking for a prepaid card but I'm getting conflicting reports on what's available.

Can I get a card in my name and have her use it, or does it need to be in her name?

Does anyone have any suggestions for what cards to get?

Anything else I should look out for or be aware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Oh sorry forgot to mention, she also does not have a smartphone

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

T.C. posted:

You can generally add people as secondary card holders to your credit account. They will normally issue a card to that person with their name on it but it will show up on your statement and you are responsible for their charges

Oh lol that's absolutely not going to work. She is very irresponsible with money (there's a REASON why she doesn't have a credit or debit card) and there's no loving chance I'm going to let her on my accounts.

That's why I'm looking for a prepaid card, so I can fill it up and say "you get this many dollars, and if you need more for an emergency you can contact me with a good reason and we can add to it" and then let her do whatever she wants with that much.

I could fill an entire BWM thread with some of the poo poo she's gotten into up to but the stories end up intermingling too much with my own finances and I'm not willing to divulge that much info here.