Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR
Years ago, when I started working at my first job related to my degree, I opened an RRSP account with TD CanadaTrust. The bank representative talked me into doing automatic 25$ monthly contributions to my RRSP. I was wondering why the rep would be concerned about that. Do they get some incentives from signing people up for that or was she trying to instill good savings habits ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR

Lexicon posted:

Do you need to ask? The bank doesn't care about how comfortable your retirement is.

Make sense though 25$/month doesn't amount so I guess they push it on every customer they can get. I'm going to cancel it because I do my own fixed RRSP contributions to a separate account and that TD one is a small annoyance when I file my tax returns.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR
Questions about stock purchase plans and TFSA :

I have an employer stock purchase plan and try to maximize my contributions each year. If I put in the maximum $8,000 contribution, my employer puts $1,100 in.

After the purchases go through the plan's broker, I immediately withdraw most of my own and employer's contributions and put them back in my savings, leaving a small amount to accumulate tiny dividends over time. This money shuffle takes about a month after all transactions are complete.

I was talking with a bank advisor and they mentioned it is possible to transfer my holdings to a TD Waterhouse TFSA account afterwards. Even though it is effectively a transfer, I'd be selling my stocks and re-buying them through TD Waterhouse so I would also have to report capital gains for that year if there were any.

I was wondering if this is true and if I should be doing this or something more productive with the money.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR

DariusLikewise posted:

Is there any indication that your TD RSP accounts have been converted to E-Series? How long did it typically take everyone to get converted?

Mine took 5 business days, I mailed out my application on a Monday and got an email the following week saying my account was converted. CanadaPost from NS to ONT.

Also the first two digits of my account number (the branch ID) changed to "2378".

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR

Bilirubin posted:

How do I know when the e-series are set up? Do I get some sort of notification or do they just quietly appear as another option to buy?

You'll get an email saying your account is converted on whatever email address you put in on your conversion form. Also the first few digits on the account number will change from the branch id to "2378".

For me, it took slightly less than 5 business days.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR

Jan posted:

Is there a good resource for figuring out at what threshold rewards cards offset their fees?

I used to use the default rewards one from TD and was getting back about $200 cash back. Since then, I've used http://www.greedyrates.ca

For the past couple of years I've been switching to a new card each year. So far it has come down to a card that waives the first annual fee and offers the best travel miles/cash back each year. Last year it was the CIBC Aeroplan one and this year it's the ScotiaBank Momentum cash back one.

I'm getting back another $100-200 more by switching credit cards each year compared to the default TD rewards one. It isn't a lot but it doesn't take much effort either.

Turns out the GoC also has one that's not as fancy http://itools-ioutils.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/STCV-OSVC/ccst-oscc-eng.aspx

rt_hat fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR
Any recommendations for Google Finance substitutes?

I'd like to find a replacement that can figure out my market value is based on my holdings (I have my data in the form of date, stock, share price, units, comments). I was looking for a web-based service but I think I could put together a Google Sheets if I had no other choice.

Extra bonuses would be :
- .csv import/export
- market value, base value, market/base deltas, etc..
- a plot that I could move the time range over.