Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrum
Dec 12, 2003

All I got for Christmas was this shitty custom title.
I've decided to liquidate all my stocks in my TFSA and invest everything into the S&P 500. Prior to this, I've been buying blue chip dividend stocks and 'dripping' all my dividends/distributions. It really does not make sense for me considering my time horizon for retirement is at least 25 years and I don't need fixed income at his point. I'm also not confident in our economy since we seemingly do not build poo poo or innovate in this country anymore. My portfolio consisted of Canadian oligopolies with little growth potential: big banks, big telco, REITS (yuck), utilities. I was also bag holding a bunch of garbage such as AQN.TO.

Time to ride the US market since I'm lazy and I'm not Warren Buffet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrum
Dec 12, 2003

All I got for Christmas was this shitty custom title.

VelociBacon posted:

Investing in fixed income as part of your overall portfolio isn't entirely the same as using your investments for a fixed income (such as after you retire) it's more about diversification of the portfolio in the setting of fluctuations in inflation, interest rates, etc. It's worth talking to a financial planner to figure out where the best allocation lies for you. I'm not retiring for a long time, will have a good pension, and I still have some bond exposure, for example.

You have a good point. I guess my concern isn't necessarily about fixed income investments because I'm far off from retirement, or dividend stocks in particular, it's my pessimistic outlook on the Canadian economy in general. I agree that they're a valid component of a well diversified portfolio. I just want out of the Canadian economy at this point.