Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Franks Happy Place posted:

Premium credit card and a U.S. checking account would be nice. I also use TD's safe deposit box, but I can concede on that one.

From the looks of things, BMO might be a good bet, but their travel rewards site sucks a fat one.

What added value are you getting from limiting yourself to getting your credit card and chequing account from the same bank? Decide on them independently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Kalenn Istarion posted:

CRA question. For various reasons, my tax was under-deducted by my employer in 2014 but I wasn't aware of the existence or quantum of the under-deduction until I got my return back from my accountant and now owe a tax bill larger than the amount of cash I have comfortably available. I'll be fine to pay it but need to liquidate some investments and want to do so without undue loss or paying interest / fees to CRA. Has anyone had to deal with something similar and/or know about CRA programs related to this?

I would start here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/gncy/cllctns/menu-eng.html

Payment arrangements

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Guest2553 posted:

Nobody else mentioned it yet but :frogsiren: 10k TFSA annual cap :frogsiren: effective this year :woop::toot::downs:

10k limit is fine for me personally but makes me sad for society. I don't see how this is going to do anything but increase the wealth gap and lead to reduction in government services over the long term.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I'd much rather have a lower cap and an actual developed-world level of social services and infrastructure. That's worth a hell of a lot more to me than how ever much I'll save on taxes on my TFSA.

Every time I go down to Seattle from Vancouver and see the condition of their roads, suburbs, other public infrastructure, and education level of their service staff I reconfirm that I value shared, societal wealth higher than a slight decrease in relative individual wealth.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

sbaldrick posted:

Given I've never put a dollar in my TFSA (thank you gold pension) should I put some away?

I don't know if this is a sarcastic comment or not so I'll treat it seriously.

Hell yes, start using your TFSA. If you invest properly, it will take years off your working life or give you extra income on top of your pension to increase your retired standard of living.

Also, in the future the TFSA will reduce capacity for government spending on public services so you will need to spend more personally in order to maintain the same standard of living. If you don't use the TFSA, then you will be falling behind.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

HookShot posted:

Theoretically a bank in another country should be able to wire the money directly into your Canadian account. I have no idea as to whether or not they would do this.

Your actual status as a non-resident wouldn't be impacted at all IIRC. Just selling a house in a third country and depositing the money in Canada doesn't count as residential ties here.

But of course I'm just an idiot on the internet and not an accountant or lawyer or anything, just some person who had a husband who had to file a tax return as a non resident once.

If I were a CRA lawyer I would argue that you actively using your Canadian bank account was an indicator of residency for tax purposes.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

HookShot posted:

If it were literally the only thing tying him to Canada then I doubt that would fly... if he bought a house here and then proceeded to not use it then yeah for sure. But just depositing some cash into a bank account I dunno. But again, that's just me guessing. I think having a bank account here is considered secondary, and you need to have a few secondary ties to count as a RFTP

I suppose there's probably case law on this somewhere on the internet.

He didn't ask if it would make him a resident, he asked if it would have an effect on his residency status. The answer is yes, it would have an effect on the analysis.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm going to max out my TFSA this year and am planning to continue my monthly rate of contributions in a non registered account.

I want to take advantage of the tax free dividend for eligible Canadian shares.

If I hold my preferred shares allocation (ZPR) in the non registered account is there anything I need to be aware of?

E: or should I hold ZPR in my TFSA and my capital gains assets in a non registered account because of the favorable tax treatment on CG?

Mantle fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 10, 2015

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Lexicon posted:

It probably means the no-margin forex is going away.

Rogers has a weird no margin forex where they say it's no margin but they change all currencies to USD before billing in CAD. So is it just the final USD CAD forex that is no margin?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Guest2553 posted:

I believe there's more to an election than blatant self interest, so I didn't vote for the Tories even though it would have saved me at least a couple grand a year. That said I'm really gonna miss the TFSA contribution room since that was going to be my primary retirement account. I probably wouldn't feel so salty about it if I knew the money would go towards something tangible (infrastructure, minimum living allowance, affordable housing, etc) instead of some pork-barrel project in a friendly riding :smith:

Your vote for the Tories wouldn't have done anything because your marginal effect on the outcome of the election is basically zero. Vote your conscience.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Word of warning to those with Qtrade-- their fees are prohibitively high. I opened a TFSA worth them back in 2009 before switching to Questrade in 2013 and have been in the process of centralizing all my investments with Questrade.

I just discovered that Qtrade charges a ridiculous $50 for each withdrawal from the TFSA. This is in addition to their $60/year admin fee for each account if you don't make any trades.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Just learned that Coast Capital Savings will be discontinuing their on demand temporary cheques at the end of this year. Stock up on $2/12 cheques while you can, afterwards the cheapest will be about $45/100.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I think the decision will come out in the 2016 budget.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Guest2553 posted:

I had a discussion with someone earlier who told me about a $5000 prepaid credit card he uses as his emergency fund. Apparently, the company pays 5% interest per annum on positive balances, making it better than nearly any other fixed income option out there. It's a loss leader geared towards people with lovely credit who are more likely to overdraw and rack up fees, but he made it work for him.

Must know the name of this credit card, now!

Mantle
May 15, 2004

jm20 posted:

You can walk inside a branch and talk to someone about your problems, which they generally solve for the patron after they've had to wait in a single file line for some time. There is also a "strategically" located ABM on premises that offers you a physical medium for your currency if needed.

Is this sarcasm? Cause waiting in line during banking hours sounds like it sucks and there are tons of 711 and Scotiabank around where I can withdraw cash at without service charges-- more than any one bank can offer.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

jm20 posted:

Not everyone is satisfied with a no frills banking service like tangerine, and do in fact make use of banking branches, the services as well as conveniences they offer. As for why someone pays a punitive fee of say $30 a month for a chequing account that I cannot defend given it is much cheaper to float the 5k or whatever balance is required.

At an average of 7% per annum, I expect my $5000 to return $350 per year. That lost opportunity is pretty much costing the same as $30/mo.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Post a screen shot of your reported transactions from CRA my account?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Probably, yes.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

If you do want to realize a loss for tax purposes you can replace the holding with something similar that has the same role in your portfolio right? Like replace ZPR with CPD or VAB with VSB?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

My 2015 RRSP deduction limit is:
My 2015 RRSP contributions during the 2015 calendar year are:
My total RRSP contributions during the first 60 days of 2016 are:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Hold it all in CAD to avoid transaction costs. If you want exposure buy the unhedged versions of funds, if you don't want exposure buy the hedged versions. All in CAD.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

The problem is you believe you can beat the market by predicting the future of exchange rates and are betting the extra expense of currency hedging on it.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

spoof posted:

Are there any discount brokerages with either an external API, or internal rules, that you can use you buy ETFs on a regular basis? This is one thing I like about mutual funds, is that you can set you a monthly buy of, say, $1000 of TDB900. Ideally it would be great to be able to script things like rebalancing as well, and completely take out any emotion from trading decisions.

edit: To basically make a Low Frequency Trading platform, based more on factors like the date and portfolio composition, rather than any technical factors.

http://www.questrade.com/api

Dunno how well supported it is though.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

spoof posted:

This is perfect. I saw that IB has an API as well, but I'm already with Questrade.

Would you be sharing your project and posting code? Seems like something that many people would be interested in.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

DuckConference posted:

Is everyone still waiting on their T3s? It's the worst part about still having ETFs in taxable accounts.

My T3s were the first slips to appear in CRA my account this year. Have you looked there?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Not what you asked for but would the simpletax.CA/calculator work for you?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I did it this year, it was relatively painless. You first apply for the letter from CRA, then present it to your payroll department at work.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

So in theory tomorrow my bonds will be up and I should sell them to buy more XEF?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

My VAB was up .8%. Sold half to buy more XEF.

All in all I was down about 2.6% on the day.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 25, 2016

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Just use both credit cards?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Transfer, don't withdraw and contribute. You should be able to transfer a cash position in kind and if it's over $25,000 Questrade should reimburse your transfer out fees up to $250 or so.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Another win for the stay the course!

Maybe this time I will learn to never ever even have those feelings, even if I never act.

If we are being serious this doesn't prove "stay the course" either since it's only one day.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Market behaviour reflects expectations for outcomes in addition to actual outcomes. Stocks are now pricing in expected economic impacts that can be extrapolated from trump's policies, including infrastructure spending. Construction materials stocks that sell into the us were all up 15-30% over the last couple days, as an example, even though it will take over a year for any policy to result in s change in dollars on the ground.

My gut feeling is that his isolationist economic and political policies are inflationary so the uptick in prices is based on a less valuable USD rather than the expectation of newly created value.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Rick Rickshaw posted:

poo poo poo poo poo poo.

I just got a letter from the CRA addressed to my ex-girlfriend. First of all, no, I didn't hold it up to the light to see what was inside. But I did incidentally see the words "period under review" quite clearly when I looked at who it was addressed to.

So I'm guessing this is an audit, which sucks because I just realized she didn't claim any of the Airbnb income she earned (a few grand) when she was living at my place for a time. Otherwise she should be squeaky clean.

What should she do? I want to have something to tell her when I give her the letter and tell her what I think is inside.

Instead of giving the letter to your ex, you should also return to sender it back to CRA. This way your ex will be forced to change her address on file with the CRA so that she reports she is no longer living at your address. This matters because CRA will make determinations on your marital status based on this information which will affect your tax situation. There can be a lot of tax consequences for this change so the sooner this is cleared up with CRA the better for you.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

So who else started the new year with a 100% allocation to us equity? :ohdear:

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/042715/what-difference-between-speculation-and-gambling.asp

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Jan posted:

Is there a thread opinion on Wealthsimple? It basically looks like CCP philosophy made into an online service.

My company recently put in place a GRSP through them, although they unfortunately do not have employer contribution. So it looks like the only advantage I would have is direct deduction off my paycheque and the very slight interest gain from investing right away instead of reinvesting a post-RRSP tax return. Since I already have an ETF portfolio through Questrade, it doesn't seem like that and the added features of auto rebalancing, etc. would warrant paying their management fee on top of MERs.

That said, so far I've been doing 20% VAB, 10% VCN and 70% VXC. The Wealthsimple counselor that came to present their service mentioned their recommended "couch potato" portfolio splits VXC into VBU and VBG, if only to better control rebalancing of US and global separately. With the strange and uncertain times ahead of us in US and Eurozone, is it worth getting that extra control?

I would say maybe if wealthsimple is controlling the allocation, and no if you are controlling the allocation since it would just be another temptation to fiddle with it.

If the reason was for lowering fees then maybe.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Skizzzer posted:

I just want to confirm that I'm doing this e-series thing correctly:

From what I remember, the 'investor portfolio' I did when I set this up indicated that I should have a 'Comfort Balanced Growth Portfolio.' My automatic deposits deposit directly into that portfolio, and what I've been doing is rebalancing every year or so to the recommended index funds on CCP. Is there any way that I can set up automatic deposits so that I'm always at the recommended 10/30/30/30 allocations instead of having to rebalance every year? Or is this how I'm supposed to do it?

If you rebalance more frequently, you're not giving your performing asset classes room to run.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Wouldn't that argue for never rebalancing, or treating rebalancing as "timing the market"?

No, because the decision to rebalance on period of x time is made at the time of determining strategy, not at the time of rebalancing.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I did this calculation recently and decided that it doesn't make sense to defer the deduction unless the marginal difference in taxes is over 10% or so. In my case it was something like 1) defer 30% tax on $5000 this year or 2) defer 33% tax on $5000 next year, but miss out on 1 year of gains on $1500, which would be roughly equal to deferral of 33% next year. 33/30 is roughly a return of 10%.

If for example your choice was 1) defer 15% on $1000 this year or 2) 22% on $1000 next year, your expected return on the $150 you got back from option 1 would have to exceed 22/15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Reply is not edit