Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I have $5500 contribution room left in my TFSA and buy TD e series index mutual funds. With the market down this far would it be a good time to max that out? My other idea would be to do 500 a week for a couple months to spread out any big fluctuations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Mantle posted:

Assuming the ~$60k remainder of your TFSA is fully invested, why fret about market timing your last $5500 when you are likely to be sub optimal anyways?
Yeah I was just trying to eek out a little more efficiency. I'll just max out and check back next year.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Hello,

I have a question about what to do with my emergency fund. I currently have it sitting in a "high" interest savings account getting 0.1% per month at TD. The benefit is it's easily accessible but it's pretty frustrating having it sit there doing nothing. I'm trying to find alternatives like a cashable GIC but the ROI on everything seems pathetic. The other option I am considering is apply for a line of credit to have ready in an emergency and use the cash currently on hand to top up my RRSP investments. TFSA is already maxed.

Are there any other ways to go?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Nofeed posted:

You could try a high(er) interest savings account with an online bank. Comparisons HERE!

I've been quite happy with EQBank, which admittedly is a bit of a thread favourite. Ask around for a referral link and you can get a free 2x:10bux:

Those rates are much better. My only concern is if I'm in an emergency is it easy to access or move funds around if I have my emergency fund at a different bank than everything else. I guess in the end it's one more card or login to have. I'll think about that one, thanks.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Cold on a Cob posted:

I keep 25% of my emergency fund in my chequing account and the rest in my TFSA holding VGRO. That way I have instant access to some of my money, the rest gains a lot better than 1.25%, and I don't have to fart around with extra accounts or worse, shuffling things around chasing temporary bonus interest. I consider the lack of interest on the "dead" 25% a hedge for the rest, though doing this means my banking fees are waived so that's nice. This does obviously carry more risk though.

LOC is a poor substitute for an emergency fund. The interest rate and limit can change at any time without notice, and your bank can convert it into a loan that can only be repaid (read about this happening to someone once when they wanted to just use it in a temporary manner for example). If the LOC is jointly held you can lose access if your spouse dies. The entire point of an emergency fund is to not have to depend on credit in an emergency. I'd be less worried about using a HELOC over an unsecured LOC but I still think if at all possible it's better to use savings instead.
Interesting info about the LOC. I'm leaning towards keeping 3 months of expenses, (right now I have ~6 months on hand), in cash and invest the rest That would give me more than enough time to pull from investments if something crazy happens or I lose employment. Even at 1.25% having that much money just sitting getting chipped away by inflation feels bad.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Well this may just be confirmation bias but I appreciate people validating my plan. Time to top up that RRSP! As long as I have 10k liquid I can't imagine too many possibilities where I couldn't get by on LOC or credit card until i free up funds from my TFSA.

I had in my mind the worse case happening to a family member a few years ago where she needed emergency surgery on vacation in Mexico and the hospital wouldn't admit her without putting up a huge sum as collateral while waiting for travelers Insurance to get worked out, so it ended up being a few scared people spreading out a bunch of money on a few credit cards just to get the process started.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I currently have a TFSA and RRSP through TD and have a web broker account. I was doing the Canadian Couch Potato TD e-series portfolios years ago but I have neglected the account for a few years and think I want to change to ETFs to avoid having to rebalance.

It looks like every purchase will be $10. I could potentially contact TD and covert it to a easytrade account to avoid the fees, or transfer everything to wealth simple but I'm not sure it's worth the extra hassle when I just want to top up the RRSP and TFSA annually when I get additional contribution room.

Does anyone have experience with the TD web broker interface? Lets say I have $5000 of contribution room in my TFSA and I want to buy XGRO, do I simply divide $5000 by the current price of $27.18 and therefore purchase 183 shares? If so does the trade fee come out of my main TD account, or the TFSA? Also the purchase interface mentions the MER, so do you need to keep some buffer as cash to cover that? Considering I have this many unknowns I thought about just going into the bank and getting them to take care of the investments but hopefully once I understand these quirks I can just buy ETFs once a year and save some fees.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Jenkl posted:

Good info

Thank you both!

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Nofeed posted:

Opposing perspective:

XGRO also makes quarterly distributions, that's now an additional 30 dollars a year at best. Honestly :10bux: to purchase ETFs is highway robbery and unless there is a VERY compelling reason to stay with that brokerage I'd be getting the hell out of there as quickly as I can.

Yeah I might do this. I can possibly set up a DRIP to automatically reinvest the dividends without extra fees, but if not, I'll move to questrade or wealth simple because at that point it would be a lot of extra fees.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I was able to up my limit to 10k a day a while back but they really impressed on me they aren't responsible for money being sent to the wrong person through a typo. It's a big liability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

VelociBacon posted:

That's just it though, they don't carry any of the liability and can't even intervene to stop an autodeposited transfer so I don't get why they care at all. These are the same people (banks) that are happy to charge what they do on credit card interest, they aren't primarily acting in the interests of their patrons anyways.

Yeah, I meant it's a big liability on the individual. Easy to send money and no recourse if mistakes are made.