Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Ccs posted:

This is slightly off topic, but my partner just got a new job lined up in a month and a half. She is currently collecting EI, but does she have to stop now that she has accepted a job? Or can she continue to collect until the job starts? Does she still have to be applying for other jobs during this next month in case they check that she's doing a job search?

I am not a...EI expert, but it seems very unlikely they are going to check if she's been doing a job search over the next month in a half, though you might want to still say that she is.

The question for the report is "have you started a full time job". Answering that honestly is what matters, and since she hasn't started yet the answer is no.

I would just tell her to continue to do the reports and answer the questions honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I do half my family's taxes each year and use SimpleTax. It's decent.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Mother in law owes 10k in credit card debt. Has almost no assets, old car and bedroom furniture. Lives in a retirement home. Has a $2k/month pension which covers most of her monthly expenses, I pitch in another $400 a month because I'm such a great guy. She called my BiL and asked him to pay her ~$200 a month for 4 years to help pay off her credit card debt. She's ~75, we're all in Ontario. I'm pretty sure it's time to investigate bankruptcy?

If she has no other assets I recommend getting her to sign up for more credit cards and lines of credit and then maxing them out on cool things for her and her kids.

edit: oh, and never paying them off, obviously

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 26, 2019

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

mila kunis posted:

I've ways had my taxes done by a family friend but this year they're not available, and this is also the first year I've contributed towards an RRSP and a TFSA. How easy is it to do your taxes yourself on the CRA website? Or is it recommended to use some kind of helper software?

SimpleTax is my go-to. I do most of my family's taxes on it. Free and straightforward.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Cyril Sneer posted:

So I went ahead and set up my Questrade account.

Are banking systems working slower than usual? I attempted to add funds to my TFSA via their online banking option back on March 31st -- its gone from my bank account but hasn't showed up in the Questrade account yet :ohdear:

Use bill payments from your bank to Questrade. It's much faster in my experience.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

TrueChaos posted:

I have some questions related to what to do with savings, as I'm not sure I'm doing this correctly:

-10% of my gross pay is invested through my company's match program. MER isn't awful at ~0.5%, it all goes into a fund that's balanced appropriately for my risk profile, I'm set here. I'm contributing appropriately based on my targeted income during retirement.

- 6 month emergency fund - this is sitting in a simplii HISA, as we use a simplii checking account for mortgage payments, bills, household purchases, etc. Would it make sense to put this into a TFSA (lots of contribution room available for both my spouse and I) with some kind of GIC product? Value at approx $30K, it's suitable to cover the bills / incidentals should we both loose all income for 6 months. We're not counting any EI or severance in the calculation, so there's a fair bit of cushion here.

-Household maintenance savings - $6K a year, growing / reducing as expenses come up. We're residing the house currently, so balance in this bucket is going to be pretty low. Intended to cover items like furnace/ac replacement or repair, hot water tank, eventual replacement of windows, roof, septic, etc. Currently in the same HISA as the emergency fund.

-I currently have >20K in my checking account. This is where my pay is deposited, monthly transfers to the simplii checking account for bills/incidentals. About $10K is earmarked for specific / unexpected upcoming expense items (think car repairs/maintenance, upcoming fun events, etc.), the rest is just fun money that I've been accumulating without doing anything with. I'm assuming at the very least I should move the non-earmarked into a HISA, but does it make sense to do anything more than that with it? Fun money is for vacations, sports, hobbies, interests, etc. Tracked in an excel spreadsheet with targets for big ticket items, that I'll reduce if I want to say spend a few hundred on tools or clothing or whatever.

Only debt is the mortgage and a financed vehicle (at 0% with no discount for cash, otherwise I'd have just bought outright). Between my wife and I we're just kind of sitting on $90K between HISA and chequing accounts, with all retirement savings goals met separately from that.

This might be a controversial view, but if you have large enough lines of credit with low rates, the opportunity cost of sitting on 30k in an emergency fund doesn't make a lot of sense.

Even if you ignore that completely, having to withdraw $5000 a month from your investments at some loss is likely still worth it vs. the opportunity cost of not investing your emergency fund.

Looking at 2% HISA vs a conservative 6% return on an ETF, over 10 years, you're looking at a difference of $17,000. If the market tanks at the same time you both lose all sources of income, you'll only be taking a loss on what you have to withdraw. Over 20 years the difference is over $50,000, not accounting for inflation.

Looking at the Dow, the week after 9/11 it was down ~14%. The week after the housing market crash it was down ~18%.

Anyway, if it were me I'd invest a large chunk of that in a market ETF. Max out your TFSA.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jenkl posted:

I'm glad someone mentioned this. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but the situation where a bank is calling the loan is probably very similar to the economic downturn that has you relying on it.

Then you sell some of your investments at a loss. I feel like people are imagining a 50% market downturn or something that has never happened and if ever did happen paying your mortgate would be the least of your worries.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Nofeed posted:

If you want to understand how unfortunately complex the RRSP investment decision is, feel free to take a gander over to Retail Investor. Buddy has a nice spreadsheet you can use to model your planned contributions with.

Thanks for this site. It pointed out a few things that I hadn't considered about RRSP contributions.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PoizenJam posted:

Ok, that sounds like I've got a pretty good strategy going.

Career wise I'm quite stable- federal government job with upward mobility, permanent/indeterminate contract with 4 weeks severance (+ EI I've never touched), and I'm slightly more senior than the '1st in, 1st out' cohort now. I think I could weather a pretty severe economic downturn before my employment would be in jeopardy. So I could probably afford to leverage myself in XGRO little bit more or look into one those savings accounts, but it's good to know my intuition of 5/6 months expenses in savings was a reasonable benchmark.

I'll offer a slightly alternative take to consider. I keep my chequing/savings account at effectively zero, though there is often a balance for upcoming bills and rent. I'm weighing the opportunity cost of not investing a 3-6 month chunk of spending vs the likelihood that I'll lose my job + not be eligible for EI + my bank calls in my line of credit + there is a severe enough economic downturn that the losses I take withdrawing from my investments are greater than the interest over X amount of time of having an emergency fund sitting there.

My risk tolerance is obviously sightly higher than average, but mostly I could easily survive on EI/line of credit because my monthly spending can be less than $2000. I also use a no fee bank account so that's not a consideration for me.

Definitely do what you're most comfortable with, and if your spending and lifestyle requires much greater than $2000 (which is certainly a normal situation if you own a house) then I can see an emergency fund being potentially useful for peace of mind.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

DrBox posted:

Hello,

I have a question about what to do with my emergency fund. I currently have it sitting in a "high" interest savings account getting 0.1% per month at TD. The benefit is it's easily accessible but it's pretty frustrating having it sit there doing nothing. I'm trying to find alternatives like a cashable GIC but the ROI on everything seems pathetic. The other option I am considering is apply for a line of credit to have ready in an emergency and use the cash currently on hand to top up my RRSP investments. TFSA is already maxed.

Are there any other ways to go?

As someone with no mortgage payment, no kids, and no other debt,, I have effectively zero emergency fund. I have a line of credit that I use in case of an emergency. The way I look at it is, every year without an emergency I'm losing ~6% gains with high interest savings vs an index fund. Catastrophic losses on the market are few and far between, and even if I had an emergency in the middle of a steep downtown, the chances are my gains will have already offset that. Being down 20% and having to take out a few thousand isn't going to be the end of the world.

My monthly expenses are around $2000 living large.

I know many people don't feel comfortable in that situation, but that's up to you.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Outrail posted:

Rapidly approaching this mindset.

So you have VGRO and VBAL and that's it?

I'm in my mid 30s and I have everything in XEQT, which is around 50% US holdings. My risk tolerance is probably higher than average though.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I am trying to figure out the most painless option for my parents when it comes to investing. They are not financially savvy at all and I think they have all their money in a savings account with BMO. They are good with money in the sense that they save a lot, but I want to help them meet their potential. Looking at the offerings from BMO and they don't look amazing, but there is a ton of stuff on their website with MERs above 2% on their mutual funds. I think something like questrade would be a bridge too far for them. Is the best option trying to get them to open a TD account for their E-series offerings?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

VelociBacon posted:

There's going to be some considerations to be made with people our parent's age, assuming you're 24-35 and your parents are 50+. Things like retirement planning, existing pensions, their current assets (house?), etc will likely play into how they should be investing or not investing. It might be best for them to see a financial planner to nail down a good strategy as they progress into retirement age.

Generally speaking I'd say a questrade account with biweekly or monthly contributions into XBAL/VBAL or something like that would be appropriate but the risk with equities (especially now at all time highs) may not fit their risk profile.

Yeah, I'm just trying to maximize the most efficient investment with the least amount of effort. Taking a 2% MER on some BMO mutual fund is better than earning 0.35% interest in their "high interest" savings account, but of course I'm hoping for a slightly better option. I'm just trying to brainstorm the easiest way for them to contribute monthly. I'm mindful of what kind of investments they'll want approaching retirement.

If it's too complicated they will just end up doing nothing, haha.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

pokeyman posted:

Since they’re already with BMO, take a look at their asset allocation ETFs: https://canadiancouchpotato.com/2020/12/31/inside-the-bmo-asset-allocation-etfs/ I think they’d need to open an account or three at InvestorLine, but moving the money in will be less steps since they’re already with BMO for banking. Setting up a DRIP is a good idea in the otherwise fortuitous event that they never look at the account after getting it set up and funded.

TD e-Series mutual funds are nice because buying mutual funds is easier than ETFs, but if you’re not already with TD I think you end up needing a chequing account with TD and then you’re shuffling money around an extra step or two.

Awesome, thank you. It wasn't immediately obvious that BMO had something like this.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Oxyclean posted:

Hi I'm a dum dum who has not been filing taxes because I assume I don't really need to cause my employer takes my taxes out of my pay & ran into some problems trying to file online a few years back and never really bothered to sort it out. I remember filing physically at least once, but then I think I had some problems when I tried to do it digitally after?

I don't really know where to start? I assume there's a good free filing option, I don't really have anything complex going on, but my lazy google-fu seems to make it sound like I need a code or something to e-file? It would be good to at least get this year taken care of, but I probably should also figure out past years too? Not really sure the last time I filed.

Register for a CRA account if you haven't already and you will be able to see the last years that you filed taxes. As long as it hasn't been that long, most of your T4s and tax information for prior years should be there as well. I use SimpleTax, but I am sure there are other good, free options.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I switched to Tangerine 4 years ago or so and haven't had any problems. I think I have only contacted customer service once or twice though, for a new card.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I would just weigh the opportunity cost of not investing your emergency fund, vs the loss you might take selling stocks during a downturn. Look at 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, etc and consider the risks you face. Do you have a maxed out mortgage and no family support? Well, that's much more risky than renting somewhere with lots of family help.

I think for some people, an emergency fund has more psychological benefit.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Raenir Salazar posted:

Doing the meme of getting a loan to pay off my loan(s) but I think it works out. I'm reducing my debt payments from 1216$ a month to 333$ a month for 2% more interest than my previous loan but still 6% less than what my credit card was (12% 3 year to 14% 5 year basically).

The main thing is after 5 years in theory I end up paying an extra 4000$ in interest but by my math I should by april of next year have enough money saved up from not having to juggle payments to just pay off the loan.

I've never did RRSP's or savings or any of that until now because I've been living kinda paycheck to pay check due to bad financial decisions, but how much as someone in my mid 30s should I be putting into the various savings accounts I should do; and which ones should I prioritize? I figure I want a war chest of around 6,000$ to buffer me in case I misjudge what my budget allows for a given money; but maybe I can get the ball rolling around December, where I should have 3,000$ in my checking account and not be any danger of sudden expences?

You rent. Do you have a family? If you didn't have the buffer, could you still borrow money? I think some kind of buffer makes sense when you have a family and mortgage payments and an emergency would be really awful, but for you maybe you'd just be paying effectively 14% on that emergency fund.

I guess just imagine the worst case scenario and what would happen if you didn't have money in that situation.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Yeast Confection posted:

Mint is shutting down December 31st and I'm bummed.

I gave YNAB a go, but I don't think it's suitable for me. I'm not working on paying off debt and my savings contributions are automated. I just need to track my spending against a monthly budget for groceries, coffee shops, business expenses etc.

Does anyone know any Canadian-friendly alternatives?

If retrospective information is fine(not up to date every transaction), my advice is to bite the bullet and use a google sheet/excel to slowly set something up that fits your needs. I used to use YNAB to track my spending a few years ago. Now I have a google sheet setup that I just download the excel statement from various credit cards, copy and paste the debit fields and description fields into the sheet, there is a cell next to each item with a drop-down menu to pick which category each payment is for (groceries, alcohol, cell phone, monthly subs etc) and then a series of fields that populate with the totals for each category.

Once a month, usually the first week of a new month, I go in and input the data for the previous month. It usually takes 20-30 minutes for a single month with 2-3 credit cards and a bank account.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry but why do you think TFSA are taxed or something? You've implied it twice. Where is the $250 going in your napkin math for the TFSA? What are the numbers meaning for retirement age? I'm so confused.

You can freely pull money or of TFSA accounts without paying tax on it. I think the opposite is true for RRSPs.

You're taxed on your income before it goes into a TFSA vs getting that tax back if you put it into an RRSP.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Raenir Salazar posted:

Right, I recently got laid off so I applied while searching for jobs but the notice seems to claim my max insurable earnings is only 25,000$ (my T4/R1 claims 61,500$) and that my weekly benefits are around 650$, so I'm trying to figure out if they have the correct info and if this amount is correct.

I go on EI every year and I sometimes notice this discrepancy and wonder a bit how , but because I am getting the max amount of EI (like you are) I never think too hard about it. Mine says my insurable earnings are $21,000 on my current claim and I made at least $75,000 in that period. Max EI for a claim starated before Jan 2024 is $650, after Jan 2024 I think it's up a bit, maybe $668.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

My mom is going on a trip to Europe but doesn't have a debit or credit card and is being told that Sweden is mostly cashless and she'll need a card of some sort. Regardless of if this is true or not, I'd rather not just have her out there with a wad of cash, so I'm looking for a prepaid card but I'm getting conflicting reports on what's available.

Can I get a card in my name and have her use it, or does it need to be in her name?

Does anyone have any suggestions for what cards to get?

Anything else I should look out for or be aware of?

Does she have a bank account? Wise is very nice and handy and can be managed through an app on your phone that you can load the card up from using your bank account. Fees are good too.