Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I wouldn't even consider this decline a bad thing. The nasdaq is still way above itself since january.

e:

https://twitter.com/M_C_Klein/status/522757177506029568

quote:

Cannot think of real economic data that would justify Bullard's argument for more LSAPs, unless you count the whining of day-traders.

Matthew C. Klein writes for FT Alphaville.

It's gonna be fine. Just chillax.

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

Definitely.

The typical ignorant Canadian attitude of "everything America is dumb and terrible" sure gets old.

empty quotin' dis

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

tuyop posted:

Well, I mean your main argument sounds kind of like "if your child becomes a rich person, it's way better to be a rich person in the US than Canada!"

I'd rather do most jobs I'd be interested in in Canada than America, but there are definitely some awesome cities in the US where I'd like to be able to easily live and work and that flexibility is definitely an advantage for your dual-citizen kid. I'm not trying to say that everything America is dumb and terrible.

The greatest gift you can give to your kids in today's globalized economy is multiple citizenship so they're not confined to and victimised by the ebb and flow of a single national economy.

Canada is about to head into a period of economic difficulty. If I had a 25 year old, you can get your rear end I'd council him to gtfo Canada for his own career growth.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
If you want a career as a software developer in banking/finance, move to London or NYC.

My suggestion is get some good experience working on real coding problems. Don't even loving think about trying to win the start up lottery because you won't. And you'll have pissed away 5 years of your life becoming an expert in javascript.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Luke Kawa had an article in the globe and mail today about how Canadian bond rates correlate with US interest rates. In addition to Poloz, statement, maybe REIT investors are watching today's US jobs numbers more closely?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
.wrong thread

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 7, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

tuyop posted:

Don't be loyal to banks. Banks are not your friends. gently caress banks forever.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Poloz is shiting his pants that he'll miss his inflation target. Exports and unemployment are not showing positive signs. Oil lost 60% of its market value. Poloz is hoping to stimulate the economy by making it very cheap to buy Canadian goods and cheap to borrow money, amongst other things.

This will probably create jobs and keep inflation up.

Now is a good time to Google zirp.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

jm20 posted:

The joys of being a petrostate :allears:

Except that Canada isn't. You might be surprised to learn oil makes up like 7% of GDP.

It's high but to put things in perspective, Norway oil and gas is 22% of GDP and Venezuela is like 25%.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Ah yes, loving cra makes you look up the exchange rate for the days that you buy or sell.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I want to buy an S&P 500 ETF. Is VOO good enough?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

blah_blah posted:

Why not VTI instead? (i.e., why just the S&P 500)

Fair question
Will look into that too. Thanks

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Put your money where your mouth is son :getin:

I'm not converting any of my GBP or USD.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Are any of you familiar with Wealthbar.com?

They're like the Canadian version of Wealthfront or Betterment.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Tangentially related but I've found frequent flyer miles are best spent renting cars or minivans for moving. There's nothing more awesome than having a minivan to move your poo poo around with.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Capital spending in the us is going down. Canada mostly exports to the us.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Just wanted to post my annual gently caress you cra and your loving t1135.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Yo blah_blah, first tech federal credit union in da hous

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

blah_blah posted:

I'm sticking with Chase until I finish churning through all their credit cards. If not for that I'd probably bank with First Republic.

e: but that name is pretty great

Founded by Tektronix employees.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Filed taxes and got a return of almost -20k. Thanks obama

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Most Canadians don't have savings though :shrug:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The bond markets are in a bear market. I don't know about stocks yet.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Holy poo poo i didn't know you could get a spot rate cc anywhere.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
hahaha holy poo poo. The Amazon.ca application had my third year undergrad apartment on record. Holy loving poo poo.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You have too many CCs if you don't pay off the balance every month.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Man gently caress that. Amazon.ca visa took me like 2 minutes to apply for.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
gently caress no I'm not giving Jeff motherfucking bezos my sin.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It was optional you retarded sperglord

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You guys should try mint.ca/com.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Another reason to use first tech federal credit Union, two factor authentication as an option (Symantec phone key if you want) and the ability to configure email alerts when money over a certain threshold (you decide) per transaction is withdrawn.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The CRA might try to argue that you are now resident. What's wrong with keeping that money overseas?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

DariusLikewise posted:

My mom is currently working in the US under a Visa for her company and is applying for a SSN, she is a life-long Canadian Resident. Is there anything tax wise she should be worried about? I feel like my parents won't research this at all until it's too late.

Any savings in taxes that she'll receive will have to be offset by Canadian taxes. Tell her to make sure to be ready to receive a tax bill from the CRA at the end of the year. This is if she is still resident in Canada.

Declaring yourself not resident can be complicated. She would have to get rid of drivers license, Canadian credit cards etc. There's no hard and fast rule so she should speak to an accountant.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

DariusLikewise posted:

It's just a temporary work Visa I believe. She's been going down to Texas for 2 weeks a month for the last few months, but she still is a resident here and employed by the Canadian branch of her company.

Is she getting an L1/TN?

Has she actually obtained the visa?

If you live in the vancouver area, I have advice on where to obtain the visa. Don't go to peace arch. Go to linden.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

DariusLikewise posted:

She's getting a L1, her work is handling most of the process I believe, everything is out of Winnipeg.

Tell her to make sure she has her story straight and that she is very precise about what she is doing in the USA when she gets interviewed for her visa. The cbp are humungous assholes. Tell her to rehearse her story. I can't emphasize this enough.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
That sounds like bullshit to me. Enjoy filling out a t1135 though.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Probably because they want to protect themselves against a falling cad. It's a loving ripoff.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
gently caress financial services in this loving country. It's a loving travesty that you can't electronically transfer money for free.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

jm20 posted:

Well obviously the solution is to not transfer money at all, and to invest in real estate instead. When your family pays for your dinner, you are supposed to give them shares of your real estate holding company in lieu of cash. The next obvious step is to dilute their share value and never speak to them again.

Plot twist: you co-house with said family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
My mad money trading account has been all usd cash the last 3 months.