Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Did you guys know that you can't actually snitch on someone to the CRA without knowing their social insurance number?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://intaxicating.wordpress.com/2014/10/14/your-questions-answered-about-the-cras-informant-leads-snitch-line/

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
And 100% of your snitches end up in the dumpster

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The Greeks are extremely private about their finances.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Ccs posted:

So I've recently gotten really anxious about retirement. I make around $2000 a month an I'm at the senior level in my career so my salary won't grow by much. I used a retirement calculator to figure out that I need to save $1000 a month for 30 years to have a comfortable retirement. I'm actually managing that now, but it's because I live like a student. Really cheap rent with a roommate, no traveling or vacations, no car, etc.

I'm fine with it for now but I'm not sure how I can keep it up for 30 years. At this point kids seem a total impossibility as does getting a house. Yet I have co-workers who make a similar amount with all these things. Maybe by getting into debt and doing no saving? They're gonna be screwed when they hit retirement age.

Get married. Also, move to Calgary or somewhere in Saskatchewan.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Get an Amazon.ca visa card. They don't charge for foreign exchange.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hahahahah get a hometrust preferred visa

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
LOL that they're calling it "halal". Is "sharia compliant" too edgy for white bread old stock canadians? Is "sukuk" too close to sucky sucky or something

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It's so loving stupid. Even the loving British refer to these things as Sharia compliant.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

just another posted:

My wife and I want to jump on the home buying bandwagon. I think in our case it makes legitimate financial sense. We're in Prince Rupert, BC, and it's a town with very high rents and relatively inexpensive real estate, due to the economy and demographics. We're paying $1300.00/month + utilities at the moment and recently looked at a cozy starter home on a fixed mortgage for about $700.00/month.

What I'd like to know is how much the new lending rules are likely to affect real estate outside the major cities, and at our price point. We're shopping way under budget (<$200,000) relative to what we're approved for. I'm not sure how many people at that price range are stretching to meet lending requirements, and will be shut out by the new rules. I expect downward pressure at the $250,000+ range where the port workers are buying but I don't imagine much immediately above our comfort zone is going to be pushed to $180,00 or below. Houses at that price are already taking bids under the asking.

On the other hand, there's no real rush and we don't mind waiting if it means saving more than a few dollars a month. It's more a case of should we move on the "right" house if we see it, or wait until next spring or summer and hope prices decline.

How do you feel about losing 20% of your house's value? If you're good with that, go nuts.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
And yet we still can't transfer money between banks for free because reasons

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Buy a vanguard fund and do nothing.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://business.financialpost.com/c...p-growth-report

quote:

Triple threat to Canada's economy could cut our growth in half for next 15 years, report warns
New study sounds alarm about falling consumer spending, a potential pullback in residential housing investment and anemic levels of oil and gas expenditures

CALGARY – A triple threat of falling consumer spending, a potential pullback in residential housing investment and anemic levels of oil and gas expenditures could cut economic growth rate in half for the next 15 years, a new Boston Consulting Group report warns.

“We’ve gotten used to sustained growth that is the envy of a lot of other G7 and advanced countries,” Keith Halliday, director of BCG Centre for Canada’s Future, told the Financial Post. “Past performance is no guarantee of future performance and if these downside scenarios materialize, it will mean lower incomes, fewer business opportunities and less government tax revenue for social programs than we would expect.”

In a report released Tuesday, the consultancy said it expects Canada’s GDP growth rate to fall from a historical average of 2.4 per cent between 1995 and 2016 – a level of growth that outpaced all other G7 countries – to an average of just 1.2 per cent between now and 2030.

The decline in GDP growth will be led by a 0.9 per cent fall in consumer spending, another 0.3 percentage point decline in residential housing investment and a 0.1 per cent decline in oil and gas related capital expenditures, the report said.

“If you express these ideas as fractions of a percentage point, it doesn’t seem like very much, but compounded over 20 or 30 years, the impact is quite significant,” Halliday said.

The report states that oil and gas makes up 18 per cent of the country’s GDP, 12 per cent of its jobs and 27 per cent of its exports, and “no matter how you slice it, the energy and mining sector makes up a significant portion of economic activity in Canada.”

BCG said that after capital expenditure “plummeted after the oil shock” of 2014, the economy has lost a major driver of future growth.

Data from the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers shows capital investment in the oil and natural gas industry declined 62 per cent from $81 billion in 2014 to $31 billion in 2016, the last year for which data is available.

Canada’s shrinking economy signals slowdown could be worse than feared
Signs of Canada’s economic slowdown are no longer ‘just a one-off blip’
The BCG report warns that the 50 per cent fall in GDP growth would have significant consequences for the country’s economy and income levels.

If the current growth rate of 2.4 per cent growth persists, GDP per capita would rise to $60,000 by 2030 from $50,000 per person today. However, the expected 1.2 per cent average growth rate would leave GDP per capita stagnant at $50,000, over the same period given population growth forecasts.

Halliday and BCG managing director Vinay Shandal said they were not predicting that :rolleyes: consumer spending or housing bubbles :rolleyes: are about to pop, but published the report to highlight the implications of what would happen if a slowdown in consumer spending materialized.

Many watchdogs including The Organisation of Economic Co-operation and Development have also warned about rising household debt and inflated home prices in key Canadian cities that could lead to financial shocks.

At least in the short term, economic growth forecasts continue to trend closer to the historical average. A recent Scotiabank economic forecast pegged Canada’s real GDP growth rate at 3.0 per cent for 2017, 2.2 per cent for 2018 but predicted a fall to 1.5 per cent for 2019.

Similarly, the most recent long-term economic forecast from the Conference Board of Canada released last year expected economic growth in excess of 2 per cent in the near future but “over the long term, potential output will be limited to annual growth below 2 per cent as the aging of the population puts downward pressure on labour force growth.”

To boost economic growth long-term, the BCG report suggests two changes. First, Canada should complete “overdue reforms” like the elimination of trade barriers between provinces. Second, it should chase “big ideas” and emerging trends like robotics and artificial intelligence to boost the economy.

good thing there's no risk of the housing bubble popping or consumer spending slowing

so go ahead and treat yourself you deserve that g63

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lol Europe unstable

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I just applied for a Home Trust Visa. gently caress you amazon

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/jeannielee88/status/954100504128241664

lmao 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
who else hates the CRA's sign-in partner login with the fury of a thousand suns

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
because i have to 'bank' with td and td still doesn't have 2fa login

my loving first tech federal credit union has had 2fa for at least 5 years and my uk hsbc account has had it since like 2011

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
at this loving point it's probably safer for the cra to implement facebook oauth lmao

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
*sucks teeth* bitch gently caress myspend i use mint

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I hear naturopaths work wonders

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

Ahh, right, you pay tax on the difference less 50% if held for more than two years. Whew. Brutal, but better than a tax bracket jump that high.

Look at this bougie motherfucker complaining about cap gains taxes

Imma make you first against the wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Has anyone actually managed to get a Home Trust Visa? I think it's been like 2 months since I applied and they keep asking me for documentation but still no card approval.