Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
Help! I went to open a Questrade account, and to verify my identity they asked me about :

- a line of credit opened in 2009;
- how much per month I am currently paying towards the line of credit (the minimum amount option was $700 per month); and
- a gas company credit card opened in 2011.

I do not hold this line of credit or gas company credit card. I'm obviously requesting my Transunion and Equifax credit reports right this minute but am hopeful that someone in this thread will chime in with a "oh ho ho those Questrade questions, by gum" story, which will placate my fears about discovering that someone has been meddling with my credit and/or identity. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

slidebite posted:

I actually had a questrade acct about 4 years ago but cancelled it because they kept loving up. They'd send all my paperwork (shareholder reports, etc) to a mystery address in Calgary. When I asked them about it, they said "Oh you must have given us that address".. no, I never did. I know exactly where I live and wouldn't screw it up, so I closed my accts and moved those to RBCDS.

Well, that makes me feel a bit better.

I agree that it is weird that someone might take out a line of credit in my name and then make payments on it. Cue joke about the Canadian stereotype - we're so nice that ...

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

Squibbles posted:

Are you sure it's not those tricky credit history based identification questions? I've had those when opening bank accounts and such before and they often seem to ask fake questions where the only right answer is none of the above.

I answered none of the above, thinking it might be this, but then Questrade 'couldn't verify my identity' :(

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
I have a (maybe) stupid question. I've maxed out my RRSP and TFSA contributions, and opened a margin account with Questrade to get some of my reserve savings working for me. I'm not really well-versed on margin accounts, but would assume that if I only make purchases that I have funds available for, that the whole "borrowing money" aspect of a margin account won't come into play. Is this correct?

Also, the market dip makes me sad - see above where I indicate I've already maxed out my RRSP and TFSA contributions, and now have to stare at red numbers instead of green for the first time ever.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

tuyop posted:

How long does it usually take for a bill payment deposit to land in your Questrade account? I remember my last one appearing within 24 hours and now I'm a little worried.

I do mine from PC Financial and it usually takes 3-4 business days, each and every time for it to show up in my Questrade account.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

tuyop posted:

Ok, cool. I'll start freaking out next week.

At least I got off my rear end and sent some money. :unsmith: this year has been a disaster that way.

Electronic transfers can sometimes take a weirdly long time - I always expect that it should happen near instantaneously, but it never does.

And some 'advice' to Newbies to BFC ... When my finances were a lot tighter, I stole a trick from the grocery store I worked at. You know how they sometimes fundraise by asking you to "round up" your grocery bill to contribute - well, I started 'rounding down' on my chequing account, and shaving off small amounts to transfer to my savings. If my balance was $252.72, I'd send $2.72 over to savings. It seems really piddily, but when you can't move a 'substantive' amount of money (whatever 'substantive' means to you), it can really help. Doing that kind of small transfer 3-4 times a week, kind of like buying a starbucks 3-4 times a weeks, really starts to add up - to the tune of a few hundred dollars over the course of a year (or over $600, if you roll $3, 4x a week). When you're really tight with money, a couple of hundred in extra cash can be a lifesaver. Once I build up enough of a cushion in my savings account for emergencies, every few months I'd roll a hundred or two into an RRSP or other investment vehicle.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

C... posted:

As a 25 year old Canadian, where would you suggest I go? (I'm a software developer, if that matters)

I work in immigration law, and I want to point out that for people under 35, Canada has a large working holiday program for Canadian citizens to get work experience overseas. Yes, you can do the land-in-Sydney, hop-from-server-job-to-server-job thing, while spending the rest of your time on the beach OR you can use it to secure a work visa to work a "real" job for a trial period overseas. If your employer is happy with you, they will usually help facilitate you getting a non-working holiday visa, if you want to stay on. If not, you get some sweet international experience and a story about how fantastic/terrible living in a foreign country is. The link for details is: http://www.international.gc.ca/experience/working_holiday-travail_vacance.aspx?lang=eng

As for US experience, part of the provisions of the NAFTA allow for Canadian professionals in designated occupations to work in the US, on behalf of a company based in the USA or in Canada, if certain criteria are met. Common professionals include accountants (you need to have a job offer in an accounting field, hold a relevant bachelor's degree or accounting designation such as CPA), engineers (ditto, but with engineering), computer systems analyst (bachelor's degree in a computing field OR a 2 year college degree and 3 years of relevant IT experience), and a crap load of sciency things, and teachers, and management consultants and so on. The same is true for Americans (and Mexicans) looking to work in Canada. This is an important benefit, because it can exempt Canadians from being subject to the H1B lottery (a difficult and luck-requiring process to get a US work visa).

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

tuyop posted:

I need to put some money in an investment that will hopefully generate more return than a savings account but preserve the principal as much as possible in case I need to pay it back (it's a bursary with a service requirement that I might not want to fulfill). What are the risks of losing my contribution room if I put the money in my TFSA and buy a bond ETF? I mean, other than "not 0".

I may never need to touch the money until we take like a mini retirement or FI or something (best case), or I might need to return it intact by September (worst case).

I was in a similar type spot and threw the money in a 30-day GIC with Equity Bank, via my Questrade account (you need to call the brokerage desk to buy/sell the GICs). It was piddly, but it got me more interest than it would have sitting in my savings account for the same amount of time.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
Does anyone here contribute to an RESP and do they have any suggestions for providers/plans. Going full BWM and having a child this year.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
Does anyone have recommendations for life insurance providers/brokers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
I pay about $42/month in Toronto with $2 million in liability, unlimited coverage for computers and fine art (lol) and something like $50-$75k for other contents. Its pretty standard but does cover sewer back-ups which I know from news stories a few years ago (in Hamilton) is something a lot of companies exclude. No deductible due to length of coverage (10 years).