Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Boy, am I glad someone opened a :canada: specific thread :)

After a quick read, I just want to get into this thread with a couple of points, but I'm going to be asking questions as well.

I've found the #1 issue with the TFSA is that many institutions are pushing them as a glorified but typical "savings account" - not as a true investment vehicle. I mean, if you're fine collecting 1%+ interest, just get a GIC or something short term inside the TFSA, but that is such a disservice to what they can do.

I've got tons of poo poo in my TFSA ... mostly equities but I think a couple of funds too. The hardest thing was finding a financial institution that has offers a proper TFSA which lets you do that poo poo. I am a HUGE fan of the TFSA and the government, love them or hate them, did a great thing with their creation.

Also, about PC Financial and online banks; I've been with PC F for years. I think the thing that is keeping me with them is the ability to use a CIBC ATM for easy deposits and withdrawals since they're almost everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

cowofwar posted:

Any broker that offers registered accounts can provide a TFSA investment account.
I guess that's my point, most people don't have "brokers" and see the TFSA as some "so what" savings account, and the banks don't seem to promote them as anything but unless you really look.. IE: Brokerage, investment house.

I guess what I am trying to say is I think it's fair to say most people don't understand what the TFSA is and that's partially because people don't care, the banks marketing it as some sort of generic savings account and not anything like an investment account, and the government doing a poor job educating when they were doing the big push at first.

quote:

I disagree with you that the TFSA was a good move by the government, it's great for wealthy individuals
I hardly think anyone that calls $5K a year to invest and save for the "wealthy"... but I guess that depends on your definition of wealthy.

quote:

but was a tactic used to pander for votes at the expense of the long term economic stability of the country (along with the GST cuts). Over time it will erode the tax revenues by the government and it provides an unfair tax shelter to the rich but not to the lower and middle classes.
You may have some point with the GST cut as a consumption tax, but the government certainly has the ability to run a balanced budget and I don't think the TFSA is effecting that negatively in any meaningful way, other than helping people save.

quote:

But that's not really the point of this thread.
Agreed.

quote:

Something to keep in mind is that while the TFSA offers a large upside to investing in equities during bull markets it offers a double cost during bear markets if capital losses are accrued. Not only do you lose out on gains but you also permanently lose that contribution space to your TFSA AND those capital losses cannot be written off against your taxable income. So be careful of the risk that you take in a TFSA.
Absolutely, but I'll take the benefit of a tax free gains upside with the risk losses as the downside any day of the week personally.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 1, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I use a financial advisor (RBC Dominion Securities) and the guy is really nice and has steered me to some decent funds, however, I also hate fees especially in my non-registered account if I want to do a trade in equities.

Keeping that in mind few questions:

What do the people here use? Online brokerages? I know enough to get myself into trouble, but I know little about the real nitty gritty of buying/selling and I am a little apprehensive but not scared to learn. I read in this thread some people saying the questrade platform isn't great... does that mean complicated?

What is an "-e" series I've seen some posts here?

We have amassed a not-insignificant amount in a generic "high interest" 1.35% savings account at PCF but it's starting to be stupid since the interest we are making is a pittance to begin with and taxes are taking a ton of that. I do not need access to the cash right away but want it to be as close to secure as I can get it. Mrs. Slidebite reminded me that dividends are taxed at a lower rate than interest.

Are there any good dividend paying funds out there that are worthwhile looking into? I have theAGF:257 large cap dividend fund in our RRSP portfolio.

Assuming the tax shelter options are fully utilized (RRSPs/TFSA), what are the cool kids doing with savings outside of them?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I thought I did.. but looking at the TD site I think I understand it better.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A co-worker and I were having a bit of a discussion today and a scenario came up that we were bouncing ideas off each other, so I thought I'd play/ask here and see what the thoughts are.

Lets say someone comes into $100K-$200K. Won a prize on a lottery or something. So it's not enough money to retire on but certainly nothing to sneeze at, what would you do with it?

My immediate answer was pay off any and all debts, including mortgage if applicable. Other than that though..? Assuming all else is sitting good (no debts, already decent retirement fund, RRSPs, etc) where would you put it to work?

In that scenario, my answer is probably some sort of a dividend fund like I mentioned in an earlier post.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I have been reading a little bit on that couch potato website and those TD -e series funds. After reading what you guys here say and understanding MERs you have a really good point about fees and we pay out the rear end for trade fees outside the TFSA.

I'm seriously thinking of going to one of those online brokerage outfits and self direct accounts.

My wife and I are presently with RBC Dominion Securities and have 6 accounts with them

2x TFSA
2x RRSP
1x LIRA
1x Unregistered generic investment account

How big of a deal is it to move accounts over in kind from a brick and mortar brokerage like RBCDS to one of those online places with TD Waterhouse or Questrade? Is it a huge exercise in frustration? This is largely our life savings we're talking about so it's kind of a big deal if there are issues.

I am a newbie with trading. I know enough to get into trouble and that's about it. Is there a good Canadian read that can be recommended? Not that I am planing on becoming a day trader, but I want to understand what I am doing if I am using some online account and I buy/sell on my own instead of via a person that understands what they're doing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

cowofwar posted:

If you do your banking with RBC and have lots of accounts you may end up saving more money by sticking with them if they offer enough bundling discounts. You don't have access to the TD e-series funds but you do have access to the RBC funds which are not that much more expensive.
I actually do zero banking at RBC, all my banking is at PCF. The only "Royal" anything is dominion securities, which really has very little with their banking side other than sharing the logo and part of the name.

Interestingly enough, I asked my RBCDS adviser if he has access to the TD index -e funds I gave him links to the TD pages and he said he did.

e: From here:
http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/investing/mutual-funds/td-eseries-funds.jsp?tab=what-is-it

https://www.tdassetmanagement.com/fundDetails.form?fundId=3261&lang=en

https://www.tdassetmanagement.com/fundDetails.form?fundId=3270&lang=en

https://www.tdassetmanagement.com/fundDetails.form?fundId=4877&lang=en

(I just picked a few)

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 5, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

cowofwar posted:

He shouldn't since as far as I know you can't even buy them through a normal TD brokerage account.

Might be the normal TD funds which are similar aside from MER.

I kind of thought that, but here is our exchange:

RBCDS dude posted:

I can access almost any mutual fund out there with only a few exceptions...these are index funds and I do have access to these specific ones.

Have a good day!
I have known the guy to be a 100% straight shooter, so I don't think he's lying... but I guess it's not impossible that he's wrong.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

tuyop posted:

And third, they fail to beat or match the market about 80% of the time. So, by going with actively-managed funds, you not only usually fail to match market performance, but you pay management expenses, commissions, and extra taxes for the privilege.

Index investing is not difficult and you really owe it to yourself to learn just a little about personal finance.

I believe that assertion, but can someone point me in the direction of a legit study that shows that? My wife is skeptical of that and is leery of index funds. I think it is largely the unknown though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the responses about the index funds and lack of an investment advisor. I will give them a read and chat with Mrs. Slidebite :)

Spadoink posted:

Help! I went to open a Questrade account, and to verify my identity they asked me about :

- a line of credit opened in 2009;
- how much per month I am currently paying towards the line of credit (the minimum amount option was $700 per month); and
- a gas company credit card opened in 2011.

I do not hold this line of credit or gas company credit card. I'm obviously requesting my Transunion and Equifax credit reports right this minute but am hopeful that someone in this thread will chime in with a "oh ho ho those Questrade questions, by gum" story, which will placate my fears about discovering that someone has been meddling with my credit and/or identity. :ohdear:
For what it's worth, if it was identity theft it would be a weird way of going about it since they've been making payments on it. That's pretty strange.

I would get your credit reports obviously (a good idea anyhow) but if it was ID theft from 3-4 years ago, I think you'd know by now.

I actually had a questrade acct about 4 years ago but cancelled it because they kept loving up. They'd send all my paperwork (shareholder reports, etc) to a mystery address in Calgary. When I asked them about it, they said "Oh you must have given us that address".. no, I never did. I know exactly where I live and wouldn't screw it up, so I closed my accts and moved those to RBCDS.

So, I guess you bring up another point, who is a good online brokerage for opening accounts? I have no desire to go to Questrade, so is TD Direct the way to go?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lexicon posted:

As long as you have > $50k in assets, TD Direct and BMO Investorline both have $9.95 trades. I use BMO, and I quite like them. They don't seem to care at all about me doing Norbert's Gambit (I've heard of other banks complaining to clients about doing this and telling them not to make a habit of it). TD is good because of the presence of e-Series - but you don't need a trading account for that necessarily. You can convert an existing TD Mutual Funds account over to e-Series, and do it entirely on the banking side.

As a general point, I find BMO to be the least greedy and penny-pinching of the big 5. When I was researching business accounts for myself, they had by far the most reasonable terms. TD, by contrast, completely priced themselves out of the market for me (IIRC, it was something like $10 monthly for the 'privilege' of having a USD-denominated business savings account).

Thanks. I take it BMO doesn't have access to those sweet TD -e funds?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm certainly open to all products and financial institutions at this, my research phase. I just want to pick someone that is easy to deal with, screw ups are non-existant (or minimal), have nice online tools and have access to decent products that don't cost a fortune.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That is a pretty cool thing with PC Financial. The cheques in the no fee acct are completely free. I only use a few a year but when noticed I was out, used their online request and had a book of them at my house a week later no charge.

Granted, no $100 bonus though...

Met with my RBCDS financial guy yesterday, told him I was interested in ETFs. He really did his best to say that the management fee was well worth it so someone is "actively managing it", but my counter was the track records really don't show it to be any better.

That being said, a lot of my mutual funds are up well into double figure increases YTD so I'm not dissatisfied with them.

Is there a recommended group of dividend paying ETFs? I already have some exposure through individual equities and some mutual funds on the Canadian side, not against more, but also wouldn't mind a little more US/overseas exposure.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

As I mentioned earlier, I am trying to find articles to help convince Mrs. Slidebite that the managed funds are really no better, and in fact worse, then indexed funds.
I found this very recent article which I thought might be interest here.

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/10/11/active-mutual-fund-managers-take-another-beating/

quote:

Advocates of active investment management over passive index investing must be cringing at the latest results of the S&P Dow Jones Indices vs. Active Funds (SPIVA) Canada Scorecard.

SPIVA Canada, which compares the performance of actively managed Canadian mutual funds against their relevant S&P indexes, has become the de facto scorekeeper in the active-versus-indexing debate.

Based on asset-weighted returns for the five years from 2008 to 2012, it is a clean sweep for the indexes. The majority of actively managed funds failed to outperform their comparative indexes in all seven fund categories.

In the three critical categories, Canadian, U.S. and international equities, a staggering 89.7%, 94.4% and 88.9% of the actively managed funds respectively failed to beat their comparative indexes. The best showing was in the Canadian small and mid-cap category, but even here 78.7% of the funds underperformed the index.

What is really dismaying is the massive return shortfall by actively managed funds. Active managers, on average, underperformed their comparative indexes by a shocking 2.85% a year across the seven categories.

Proponents of active management criticize the SPIVA Scorecard on the basis it compares apples with oranges. They argue actively managed mutual funds are real funds with actual costs including management, sales tax, administration and trading.

Indexes, on the other hand, are not investable and simply represent the calculated performance of a particular basket of securities selected according to the rules of the index without any cost deductions.

The advent of exchange-traded funds, which seek to replicate the returns of a particular index, net of costs, has eviscerated this criticism. Since the total cost of broad-market ETFs is typically 0.15% to 0.6% a year, you don’t have to be a math wizard to conclude that Canadian investors generally are way ahead using index-based ETFs over actively managed mutual funds.

Upping a losing tactic just adds to a losing proposition

A recent U.S. report, A Case for Index Fund Portfolios, has taken this analysis one step further. Using historic performance data, it delved in-depth into the question of how index fund portfolios have fared versus comparable portfolios of actively managed mutual funds.

The authors compared the returns of a 60/40 equity/bond portfolio comprised of three index funds managed by Vanguard Group Inc. to 5,000 portfolio combinations randomly drawn from all the actively managed funds available to U.S. investors. Over the 16-year period from 1997 to 2012, the index fund portfolio outperformed 82.9% of the actively managed portfolios.

In other words, active management was a losing proposition more than four out of five times.

Making matters worse, the penalty for losing was much greater than the premium for winning. The median performance of the losing actively managed portfolios was -1.25% a year while the median outperformance of the small number of winning portfolios was only 0.52% annually.

The study also analyzed the results of a broadly diversified, multi-asset class portfolio comprised of 10 index funds for the 10 years from 2003 to 2012. The same picture emerges.

The index fund portfolio’s returns bested those of 90% of the actively managed portfolios. The losing actively managed portfolios suffered a 0.93% annual shortfall while the few winners eked out only a 0.29% outperformance annually.

The study looked at whether adding more actively managed funds to the actively managed portfolios changed their results. No such luck: the proportion of losing actively managed portfolios just increases as more active managers are added. Upping a losing tactic just adds to a losing proposition.

With evidence-based results like these, it’s no wonder more investors, particularly affluent ones, are incorporating indexed solutions such as ETFs into their portfolios.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 30, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Would this be a good thread to talk about Canadian credit cards? That other credit card thread seems to be mostly American from the brief browse I took.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

tuyop posted:

We use two credit cards, the MBNA Platinum and a PC Financial "World" Mastercard.

I've got a PC Financial MC too, have for years. They sent me a "Black" one a few years back for some reason when nobody had one. Something about me being "valued" or something like that. :jerkbag: It's still PC Points which, to be honest, mean little to me now as I hardly shop at Loblaw stores. It does have nice perks though that I can get a human being immediately when I call, decent insurance and that kind of thing, but that's about it.

I also have a Costco AMEX which I pretty much only use there (Costco, Costco liquor and Costco gas), RBC Gold Visa and an MBNA Plat Mastercard that, the only reason I have is because it's my oldest account from the mid 90s.

I actually like my Costco Amex because I actually use the cash back for Costco, but only about 1/2 the stores even take Amex... so my defacto card is the PC Mastercard.

I'd love to migrate to something else that gives decent cash back.

I am not a fee guy. Every account I have is no fee and CC companies make a ton of money, I hate paying extra just on principal if nothing else. Interest rates mean little to me as I never carry a balance unless I gently caress up and don't pay it off in time.

Edit:
I have Mrs. Slidebite willing to try some ETFs. We've got a non-insignificant amount that is setting in a high interest savings acct right now (PCF) but I want it to grow a bit more but not be super risky. I already have a fair amount of GICs in my RRSP and LIRA, along with several other mutual funds which I think are pretty broadly spread (along with several individual equities). I am going to probably transition most/all of the Mutual funds to ETFs as time allows (bought low load).

That being said, I don't want a super-risky ETF, I am thinking of a dividend paying one like:
https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/individual/etfs/etfs-detail-overview.htm?portId=9560

My thoughts are being that it's largely the big dividend stocks, bank, oil companies, insurance companies, it's probably a "reasonable" choice.

Thoughts?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 31, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Kal Torak posted:

I'd say you are bang on. Those seem about as safe as you can get in the Canadian market. Just my opinion.
At least I'm not a total idiot :downs:

quote:

Scotia Momentum Infinite. 4% on groceries and gas, 2% drug store, 1% on everything else.
I like the sounds of that.

cowofwar posted:

Careful about frequent purchases of ETFs as unless you have a questrade account these transactions will incur fees.
Not sure if you're talking about me or just generalities, but I'm not a big trader. I have my non-reg account I'd probably just put it all in the 1 ETF and sit on it.

As for the others I'll use my broker (the guy who bought them for me) to tell me when I can get out of them without penalty and go from there. I'll probably just end up buying ETFs that closest mirror the existing fund I am in. As it is with me, I have a "decent" amount of diversification. I am more focused on Canada, but also have some decent US and "emerging markets" and east exposure.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Fair point. I keep all my equities (with a couple of exceptions) in my TFSA which has 100 trades/year, which is about 90+ trades more than I do. I keep my bonds (and a couple bond funds) and GICs in my RRSPs/LIRA which I really don't touch at all, other than when the GICs mature I roll them to 3 year.

I do pay a fee in my non-reg account which is where this ETF would go, even if it's $50 it's OK by me for the $$$ I'm looking at. If I buy more than a few, I 100% agree, fees will certainly add up and I'll be looking for a low-cost house.

I plan on treating it like my mutual funds...really not touching them unless they really under perform.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I understand where you are coming from and I chose my words poorly. I have and do ride out the funds and try to "buy low". I don't even know why I said I'd only sell if "under perform" ... I guess if I saw something concerning I might, but I wouldn't do it haphazardly.

I guess what I am saying is I don't babysit my portfolio. I bought much of my equities at 09 on a whim, I just don't really sell them. In fact, I don't know when I last sold any of my mutual funds. As with equities, I have sold some but only when they get stupid. For example, I bought Tek @ about $7 or so, and did sell several at around $35ish.

But thanks for the catch, you are right and I don't sell without thinking through. Buying when others are selling is probably a fairly good strategy. :)

That's what I get for posting after a long day without thinking much first :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lexicon posted:

I respectfully disagree. I'd go with VCN. Covers more companies, more diversified, and is more representative of the entire market. Half the MER. The dividend focus seems like a gimmick unless this is more of a short term (sub 2 year) play.
I respectfully ... agree. I didn't see that one earlier somehow.

https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/individual/etfs/etfs-detail-overview.htm?portId=9561

I'll take a better look at it tomorrow. Thanks for bringing it up :)
You're a good egg Lexicon.
Edit: Can you right off buying/selling/transaction fees in a non tax sheltered account? I know you can management fees.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 31, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

tuyop posted:

Isn't this how Alberta is run?

We prefer referring to our leaders as royalty, not despots. :colbert:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Companies often partner with specific institutions for retirement plans, so that is not really all that strange. My company has its retirment plan with one institution and I do have all my accounts with another. It's not really a big deal but :effort:. I do the minimum with them though since the funds they offer aren't really in my wheelhouse.

Companies offering shares if its privately held is not rare either, and actually fairly common with some professional corporations. Often they'll limit share options to the "upper tier" of their core business. For example, if its an Engineering company, they may only allow shares to be purchased by Professional Engineers and not necessarily the secretaries or technologists.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Also :love: the TFSA. I am a huge fan and think people need to more understand what they are.

So I checked with my RBCDS adviser about buying the ETFs in my non-reg account. Needless to say, I'm not very impressed. I though it was something like $50 transaction to buy, boy was I wrong. It's like 2%.

gently caress. That.

Non-registered account with discount broker, here I come.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, basically the registered accounts and TFSA all have plans with RBCDS which, for all intents and purposes are low/no fees and to be honest, I am happy with their service for those accounts.

Story changes with a non-reg cash account.

In effort to keep some things private, we're not talking about tiny amounts of money here (for me at least) so the %s involved are significant, in my opinion at least.

I'll do a bit of copy/pasting of my email thread with minimal edits to protect identities and some info.

In order of discussion:

slidebite posted:

I am leaning against the A+ proposal, however I am quite interested in doing a purchase of one or two ETFs in our non-reg account.

Can you advise what the transaction fees are per purchase? Appreciate your time.

Thanks
Note: A+ account is an actively managed traded account, which as I mentioned I was not doing.

RBCDS dude posted:

The Ishares (and companies that provide the direct etf like them) trade just like stocks...so in a regular transaction account outside of the fee based option you would pay just as if you bought a stock.. the cost depends on the amount purchased but you are looking at about $125 min for up to about a $5000 purchase.... Mutual funds etf through a fund company are just like mutual funds...Low load or front end load...low load costs you nothing up front but you have to stay in the fund usually for a 3 year period or face a penalty. The other option is to buy them on a front end load where you pay 1% of the total upfront and then you can move the money from the fund company anytime you want without penalty.

slidebite posted:

Thinking of a vanguard etf. Maybe $XX or so. Idea of the fees for something like that?
XX=more than the $5K above

RBCDS posted:

Morning slidebite

It trades like a stock...the higher the purchase the less the percentage cost...you would be looking at 1.65% or approx $xx to buy $xx worth of the vanguard ( or any other stock in a non managed account )

slidebite posted:

Basically $xx just to do a buy? That's ridiculous. Can't do it, Sorry.

RBCDS posted:

Yes that doesn't surprise me... its costly to do a purchase like that in a transaction based account...that's why I use the managed accounts for most stock purchases. An advisor managed account would cost you 2% per year and you can trade approx 20-30 times /year with no other cost. You can also write off the cost.

I'm not a fan of trading in a transaction based account for those cost reasons but if you want to stay with a transaction account that's what the cost would be. Mutual funds are much more popular in the transaction based accounts again for those reasons. Keep in mind I don't set the costs...Dominion Securities does. I just try to take advantage of the types of accounts that are offered to your best advantage...and you can see that the managed account (advisor... if you want control of what is being purchased is what I think would be a better option). You would need xxx min to get into the advisor account...we discussed this account when we were talking about the A+ account option. You could then purchase the vanguard and anything else you would like with no cost other than the 2%per year fee.

slidebite posted:

thanks for the quick reply. Hope you had a good weekend.

Then it's in effect $xxx fee on $xxx. That doesn't sound much more appealing since I rarely trade. The more I've been looking into it I'm just not seeing the overall value in actively managed accounts. Paying people to try and beat the market when they have little (or in reality nothing) to lose in it doesn't float my boat. All the upside for them with basically none of the downside.

Unfortunately, I might have to go with a discount brokerage for my purchases outside the registered accounts and TFSA. I have no problem paying a premium, even a significant one, to have all of our accounts with you under 1 roof with you... but that price per trade is beyond premium, it's ridiculous for what amounts to cashing a cheque and pressing a few buttons on a keyboard.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lexicon posted:

Wow. That's nuts.

So what exactly is RBC Dominion Securities? A managed analogue to RBC Direct Investing?

I didn't even know they had a direct investing division :monocle:

But yes, they are a managed investment division of RBC.

That said, I might just go to their direct investing side for this acct. $9.95 flat is reasonable enough, and it might make it simpler.

cowofwar posted:

RBC Dominion Securities is the investment bank of RBC. Just like RBC, they are penny pinching and suck unless you're high wealth.

I ditched them for MD Financial a long time ago.
Other than this whole exorbitant fee fiasco, I've been fairly happy with them. What is MD financial?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lexicon posted:

As I've long claimed, the financial services industry is largely predicated on consumer ignorance.
True enough. Of course I'm aware of discount brokerages, just didn't know (or remember) RBC had one. Makes sense they would though since other competing institutions do.

So, assuming I'm OK with self directing and OK with $10/trade, is there any real difference between the discount houses for someone that will only do a handful of trades a year?

I did mention a few pages ago that Questrade was pretty incompetent in my experience so I don't want to go back... I know TD-W has been mentioned here too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Saltin posted:

Having said that, the statistics about how TFSAs are actually used in Canada are dismal. Half of the people that have opened a TFSA have no money in it, and of the other half, 80% of them use them quite literally as a savings account, earning 1% or less in interest.
I know we have spoken about it here before, and while people should man up and educate themselves, financial institutions have really dropped the ball on the TFSA. Most people simply have zero clue as to what it really is and are mislead by the name "savings account" and 90%+ of the financial institutions really aren't helping.

Also, trying to open up that RBC Direct account. I hate how you have to jump through the hoops even though I have several RBC accounts already, just at a sister RBC divisions. Credit checks, and all that poo poo. Gah.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 7, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DariusLikewise posted:

I feel like I have too many beginner questions here.

I have a TFSA setup through my bank(Scotia) and I'm trying to transfer shares I have in a company that are currently with Computershare, is the easiest way to do this request a share certificate then send that to Scotia to deposit? Or fill out a securities transfer request?

Compushit err I mean share is a awful company to deal with.

The only dealing I have with them is via my wife who has stuff in her maiden name so I am probably biased, but in my experience they go out of their way to make it a nightmare to deal with.

My advice would be to call them and speak to them, and get the persons name and ask for them each time going forward in case you need to talk again. We received contradictory information which makes it very difficult to get anything done.

quote:

The truth is that even in a non sheltered account, there are all sorts of tax benefits to be had.
Other than deduction for losses, what benefits are you thinking of? Honest question.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 8, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lexicon posted:

Well, you know now, don't you! That's a start :)

As for 'pinning it on the average person' - no one, and I mean no one gives a poo poo about your financial future. Not your employer, not the government, certainly not the banks, etc. So that only leaves you. People seem to have no trouble quoting the minutiae of offside rules, or world series batting averages, or whatever the gently caress other inane thing. This stuff is rather more important, and it's really not that hard. I mean, Jesus, you can't crack a Globe and Mail or regional daily any day in January through February 28th without financial columnists prattling on and on about TFSA and RRSP decisions, etc.
You are of course correct and people need to take an active roll in their investment and retirement, no question. You cannot argue against that and it really isn't even that much effort to get self educated enough to have a functional knowledge.

I guess the point though is that the term "savings account" has a pretty specific definition that is ingrained in us ever since you are a child, or at least it did with me and I am presuming others.

A person could be excused in assuming that when a financial institution advertises a "tax free SAVINGS ACCOUNT" they see the last two words and hence "Oh. Wow. A savings account" :jerkbag:

Saltin posted:

I literally listed them in the post you are quoting. Preferential tax treatment of both captial gains and dividend income. They are not a function of the "account", as you know, but my point is that non-sheltered investments are not simply taxed at your going marginal rate.
What I get for a quick edit to a post on my way out the door. Sorry.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lexicon posted:

Believe me, I understand the argument - I just don't think it's even worth mentioning. If you make it a significant ways into adulthood as a Canadian citizen, and think a TFSA is a savings account… well, you hosed up I guess, from a financial literacy/planning point of view.
People "gently caress up" in the sense of not being active participants in the financial planing all the time, in fact, I'd say it's the the majority of people. Does that make it right? Of course not. I am astonished how people know basically nothing about their retirement funding other than some money disappears off their cheques every pay period and the receive some mystery statement once or twice a year. So yes, I think it is that "most" people really aren't financially literate at a fairly basic level. Banks that are just advertising a basic interest rate on a TFSA aren't helping either.

With only a few exceptions, when I have discussed the TFSA with people I know, have they actually had a decent knowledge of what it was. I am 40 years old and this is talking to people in my age group and older. Generally >30 years old. This includes very intelligent and financially secure people from real blue-collar to the bonafide professions. I think it's that most people do not have a personal interest in investing and banking and would far rather do other things, even if it's costing them them tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. Just earlier this week it happened too.

Maybe it's a bit of a fall-back to the time when investing was some sort of a nebulous thing in the pre-WWW when you had to make somewhat of an effort to get educated. I don't know.

Now, with the WWW and forums like this and others with readily accessible information, there is really no excuse.. but that baggage is still there. It is sad, it's money being left on the table, but people just don't get it and it's certainly not rare.

Going back to the earlier point, would it even make a difference if it wasn't even called a "Savings Account?" I really don't know, but I am pretty confident it's not helping.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Right, and I'm certainly not saying or arguing that you are in general wrong. :)

Your point seems to be if you don't know what a TFSA is at this point you're largely financially illiterate. I do not disagree.

My point is that using your definition "most" people probably are financially illiterate, even those that shouldn't be and there might be some simple things that might at least help that. Calling it a "savings account" for example isn't helping although your point seems to be that the name is trivial.

Once again, this is completely anecdotal, but I feel most people have a rough idea about a RRSP is and realize you can put things like mutual funds, GICs, maybe even equities, etc into it. However, in my experience most of those same people have no clue you can do that with a TFSA. Would calling it something different alleviate that? My guess is it might.

e: I guess the crux of my position is the name isn't trivial and could make a difference, even though it shouldn't.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Kal Torak posted:

I think the takeaway here is that people need to stop solely relying on what their bank tells them when it comes to financial advice.
Absolutely. People are so hypocritical. We all say we hate banks as money grubbing, milk as much out of you on fees as they can scum, yet so many people are happy giving them 5-6 figures of money and say "please do something with it." :downs:

Some bankers and consultants might genuinely good people and try to do whats best, but someone here (lexicon?) recently said, very appropriately, that "it is their job to make your money their money" and that's what it really comes down to.

Even in the past weeks going over this thread with you folks here is really giving me a drive to move to self direct accts and as my low-loads come off my funds to move to ETFs.

Kal Torak posted:

I'm not sure the name makes a difference. Those that don't realize a TFSA can be something other than a savings account probably couldn't tell you what the P in RRSP stands for. The same people who say they are going to buy RRSP's not realizing it is not possible to "buy RRSP's". Even if it was a Tax Free Savings Plan, banks would still push their savings accounts.
I know what you're saying, but respectfully I disagree. I might be biased though because I was one of those people up until around 4 years ago. I knew pretty well what an RRSP was but genuinely thought a TFSA was some sort of high interest savings account and didn't really see the point. I only knew what I saw advertised and didn't have the urge to dig into it because how I saw it advertised=my understanding of what it. But I do know I wasn't alone.

That was one good thing my RBCDS guy did was wake me up to the potential and for that I am grateful.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 9, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lexicon posted:

No, that will most likely be a new account.

I don't know that I would put a ton of stock in that advice. I keep my oldest card unused and around because it's free, but I certainly wouldn't pay $35 for the privilege.

Agreed. Even if she does take a small score hit (which is not definite), she's going to have to cut the cord eventually.

In the interest of science, she should pull her FICO now before she cancels it, and do it again in 6 months or so and see if there is any change. I'd be curious to know.

I have about 4 Credit cards, but 1 of them I never use but I keep it open for the same reason as you mentioned, it's my oldest card and I've had it since the mid 90s. It doesn't cost me anything though so :effort:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Funds bought on no load can take years to get out without penalty, so you'll want to check on that too.

I know that's an issue with mine, but I'm not yet sure what the penalty is to know if it's worthwhile just paying it or not. That MER adds up over a few years too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lexicon posted:

Are you loving serious?

Can you point me towards a prospectus of a fund with that property? I thought I had a good handle on ripoff financial products, but this is a new low.

When I say years I mean 3 in my case. I'll see if I can find it in print for you, but I am going off what my broker guy said.

What is the norm for no load in your experience?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yes, not only are you paying management fees, you're paying for the privilege of buying them on top of it. All these funds that are run by MBAs with a penchant for 50 year old scotch and Cuban cigars have to get paid somehow!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bonds are a little mysterious to me too. I only have bonds through some funds, but they have wildly difference performance. Of course, apples/oranges, etc.

These are the 2 funds I have in my portfolio:

Top holdings:
Sears Hldgs 6.625% 2.23%
Fmg Resources August 2006 Pty 144A 7% 1.9
Goodyear Tire & Rubr 8.25% 1.74
Chrysler Grp Llc / Cg Co-Iss 8% 1.65
Nrg Engy 7.625% 1.61
Valeant Pharmaceuticals Intl 144A 6.5% 1.46
Ally Finl 7.5% 1.38
Cascades 7.75% 1.3
Quiksilver 6.875% 1.29
Bombardier 144A 7.5% 1.22

Sears :smithicide:
Please don't go belly up.. please don't go belly up..

Top holdings:

Canada Govt 1% 6.54%
Canada Hsg Tr No 1 2.05% 5.76
Province Of Ontario 1.9% 3.78
Quebec Prov Cda 4.5% 2.97
Canada Hsg Tr No 1 2.6
Ontario Prov Cda 3.15% 1.96
Quebec Prov Cda 5.5% 1.93
Canada Hsg Tr No 1 1.7% 1.88
Alberta Prov Cda 1.7% 1.78
Bank of Nova Scotia 6.65% 1.77

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 14, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The dollar has taken a big stinky poo poo against the US$ the last little bit, hasn't it?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lexicon posted:

Does anyone know how transaction fees behave in a TFSA? Say, I contribute my $5500 for the year. I use it to buy 5490 units of a stock which costs $1 a piece. The transaction cost for this trade is $10.

Is that $10 lost forever in my TFSA room? Can I pay for it with money outside of the TFSA?

For what its worth, my TFSA is with RBC Dominion Securities and there are no trade fees whatsoever for something like 20 trades/year on it.

They totally gently caress you without the lube on a non-registered investment account though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

spoof posted:

The MBNA Smart Cash card got neutered about a year ago, from 3% on first $600 of gas/groceries/1% everything else to 2% of first $400 on gas/groceries/1% everything else up to $1250 monthly. If rhazes doesn't pay for groceries or gas, it's not very attractive. The MBNA Rewards World Elite seems to be the one to get now, or the Rewards Travel Platinum, both of which are straight 2% cashback without any caps. Avoid the version with an annual fee. Barring those, there are lots of no-fee 1% cashback cards you could get. Honestly though, with that little going on the card, it doesn't make a huge difference.

I go between using my PC Black mastercard and Costco Amex cash back card myself.

Before I got a company gas card, I always filled up at Superstore to get the points and superbux, and they really did add up. Now? Meh. Better than nothing I suppose.