Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^ Don't overthink it. The issuer of the GIC agrees to pay you "X" interest after "X" years. Since issuers are banks, it comes from the profit of normal operations of their business which largely is made up of lending money at a higher interest rates that they're paying out.

tragic_ethos posted:

I think main thing with GIC, you are getting your principal back with interest. When you’re getting a bond fund (or an ETF balancing some percentage of bonds and stocks), you will see the bond portion of portfolio reduce in value when interests rate increase. You can look at a bond ETF like ZAG after 2021/22 and see how that ended up impacted when rates bounced up.
I took a hit with my VRIF holdings when rates started increasing. Hindsight/20-20/yadda...

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Toalpaz posted:

thats a really loving good deal for maple leaves, tbh. they're going to ruin all the mom and pops (fuckers) Thats 37.6 per maple leaf for under a hundred. Most budget places would have given you 43 per oz under a hundred just a few weeks ago.
I'm not going to buy any until I see the effigy of King Charles on it :colbert:

Killingyouguy! posted:

Why would interest rates going up mean the value goes down? Also does this mean I should opt for all-stock funds?
What's more desirable to an investor: Something that pays 5% or something that pays 3%?

Or,
https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/why-interest-rates-have-inverse-relationship-bond-prices/

quote:

Most bonds pay a fixed interest rate that becomes more attractive if interest rates fall, driving up demand and the price of the bond. Conversely, if interest rates rise, investors will no longer prefer the lower fixed interest rate paid by a bond, resulting in a decline in its price.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Never been through it personally, but know a few that have. It's a big pain in the rear end that takes years to recover from. Is all of the debt in your name only?

If you do go down that road, good luck. It sucks. But sometimes might be the only way forward.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Like ^^ says, If its not sheltered, yes.

A bank will issue you a T5 for a standard savings or checking (lol) and you need to claim that as part of your taxable income.

If you have the room, keeping it in your TFSA in a GIC or ~something~ is probably better idea for tax implications.

Anything else is basically a differed tax, which probably makes sense if you start withdrawing when you make less income (IE: retired). Or if you need it and take a gains hit (or loss) from a non-registered investment account.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have a question regarding "pension adjustments" and "RPP Contributions" on your T4.

Is there a rule of thumb for how much those figures on your T4 impacts your RRSP room?

Is it a 1:1 ratio in $$?

For example, let's say you have an RRSP limit of $15,000 for 2023, but your pension adjustment is $10,000 and your RPP is $2000 on your 2023 T4.

Does that leave you $3K of room to contribute?

If not, is there an easy-ish way to ballpark it?