Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Went into TD and opened my self directed brokerage account! In a few days I will officially be investing money in things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Franks Happy Place posted:

Having a TD Waterhouse account for your TFSA is awesome and I can't recommend it highly enough. Even beyond e-Series, which is the best, their web portal is great and you can easily pick up individual equities with your 5% of portfolio "screwing around money".

Just don't buy U.S. equities without first transferring USD into your account, the conversion fees are abominably bad.

Sweet, thanks for the tip.

Anyone know how long it takes for a transfer from your bank account to your web broker account? I just did the transfer, wondering if I'm waiting hours or if I'm waiting days.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Sorry guys, no, the web broker access is connected to my account, I just went to move some money from my chequing account to the web broker account using the "Make a Transfer" option in EasyWeb. I'm just curious if that will be done on Monday, or a few hours, or longer than that?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Oh, then my above post still applies. Probably Monday.

Cool, thanks :)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You can opt out of EI I think, I don't pay into it and I don't receive it.

I didn't know either until I paid a year's worth of EI premiums to CRA when doing my tax returns and got a cheque back for the amount I paid along with a letter explaining that I wasn't registered for EI, and if I wanted to I could register, but didn't have to.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kal Torak posted:

That's only if you are self-employed.

Oh ok, yeah, I am so that explains it. I figured it was something anyone could do.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kal Torak posted:

No, there's an employer portion as well at 1.4x. They don't want to give up those premiums.

Interesting, I thought self employed people paid both premiums, like we do with CPP.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kal Torak posted:

Nope, self-employed don't pay the employer portion for EI when they opt in. Also, once you claim any kind of benefit, you can never again opt-out.

Oh ok, yeah, that second part makes sense since I imagine otherwise you'd have a ton of people trying to screw the system. I would have thought self employeders pay both portions though, interesting that they don't.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

tuyop posted:

Yeah, the infamous spontaneous pulling of credit by the bank. Has that ever happened to anyone here?

We use it all the time as a reason to keep a hefty amount of cash, but over the past eight years of having credit I've only ever had my lines increased, never decreased or canceled unless I asked. I'm just wondering how common it is to have lines of credit closed.

This is from a billion pages ago I know but I'm just catching up on the thread.

In 2008 when the GFC hit Australia my husband and his business partner both had their (completely separate, personal) credit cards closed by Amex.

The card had a balance on it at the time, but nothing enormous (like maybe $1k or something) that was being paid regularly, and when he called to ask why they closed the card they told him that he made a payment one day late eight months earlier so because it was in the last year they could close the card whenever. It seems like Amex decided they wanted to lower their risk/number of credit cards they had or something, and so just cancelled the card.

I've never heard of it happen in Canada, but if something big did happen to the economy I would expect things like that to maybe happen here as well from time to time.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

tuyop posted:

Thanks, I'm not sure what that does for my point which is that credit closures are very rare and dividends and compounding returns are regular so it's preferable to leverage all of your mid-long term (aka emergency) savings and bet against the very rare from happening.

Yeah, I'd probably make that same bet, for sure.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

JawKnee posted:

Jumping on CC chat from the last page or so: I don't earn anywhere near 70k a year so the elite Capital One card and the elite Westjet card are out - should I get the no-fee Capital One card?

If you want the CapitalOne or Westjet card just lie about your income, they won't check. And if they do then oh well just apply for a no-fee card.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

They decided that instead of a free U.S. checking account as part of All-Inclusive, they'd only partially subsidize it from now on. So now each month, they take $5 USD out of that account, and then in a separate transaction they put $3 back in as a 'rebate'. Of course, since I only clear funds in and out of that account and never maintain a balance (let alone the $3500 USD minimum balance they now want), I get hit with an overdraft fee each time. And you can't even just leave $2 in there, because the initial $5 comes out first, which triggers the overdraft, which the $3 credit comes after. Totally just the stupidest thing.

So when I went to my branch to a) complain that they were now charging me for a service that was supposed to be a part of my package deal, and b) they wouldn't at the very least just take the $2 out of my loving main checking account so I didn't have to juggle this poo poo every month or risk an overdraft if I forgot, the branch manager was a totally useless idiot who refused to do anything, despite the fact that I have mid-five-digits tied up with TD between my bank and investment accounts.

It was such a shocking display of bad customer service and idiot stonewallking that, as I was leaving the bank, some random hipster walked up to me and told me that they had overheard the conversation and thought it was totally insane how bad the service had been. Totally unsolicited gut check that I wasn't just being a crazy person and that it was indeed really dumb to risk all of my business just because they insisted on taking $2 a month out of the wrong account for Reasons.

Funnily enough, they just raised the minimum balance on my husband's (regular CAD) account to $4k from 3.5k. We never got the notice in the mail, but whatever, my husband goes in to ask why he didn't get the rebate, the guy tells him that its 4k the minimum now and too bad so sad.

So my husband's like "ummm what are my options?" and the guy tells him "well RBC is the only other bank in Whistler" (which isn't even true, we also have CIBC now!)

I told a customer service guy about it and the guy was super apologetic and refunded my husband the fee and sent him an email to apologize about the bad customer service.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
What are you guys doing who don't have any/much Canadian?

The CCP model after all is very Canadian heavy.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Cool, thanks guys!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

mojo1701a posted:

Some good news to Canadian income tax filers! Due to a gently caress-up in which they accidentally declared the wrong deadline, the Canada Revenue Agency has decided to stick with its mistake and has extended its deadline to May 5th at 3:00am.

Cross-posted from the CanPol megathread.

Oh thank God, I haven't even started my taxes yet.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
How long does it take for an order of e-series to go from "open" to "executed" in TD webbroker? I assume a few business days?

Baronjutter posted:

So I used the greedy card site to pick the best credit card for me, ended up being some scotia bank associated visa. I just got a letter in the mail I was denied for credit reasons. I have no debt, what the hell? Should I just go down to the bank and apply in person?

Oh now it's telling me some american express card is the best for me. gently caress I just want a card with some sort of rewards, I'm getting NOTHING with my current card so I never use any credit cards other than buying a game or two a year on steam.

FWIW Scotiabank denied me for no reason as well when I have perfect credit and (at the time) had a pretty drat high income a couple years ago.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cultural Imperial posted:

Filed taxes and got a return of almost -20k. Thanks obama

If that's actually a negative then what's up almost-owed-the-same-amount-of-tax buddy!

Mine was just shy of 22k.

edit: also I just put a bunch of money into e-series in my TFSA and they lost half a percent on day 1 lol

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

blah_blah posted:

a whole half a percent in a day, you must be crushed

I know, I'm basically broke now.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lexicon posted:

This is an annoying trend: http://www.banking.pcfinancial.ca/mkt/common/promos/non-registered-2015-spring-en.html

Thanks PCF, my cup runneth right over!

Is anyone really stupid enough to open accounts and move over money and so on for the sake of a few extra basis points of interest for a few weeks?

Yeah, I keep getting these from ING.

I wish there was a button to just reply "LOL" to their marketing team.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

Holy poo poo, how much do you make to owe 20k?

Well if you're self employed and pay EI and CPP as well there's 10k right there. I only pay CPP so it's just like 5k.

I think my net income to owe 22k total was in the high 80s.

A couple years ago I had a really good year and owed 75k in taxes. Thank God I actually saved up that much for them instead of spending all my money on things like ipads.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

tuyop posted:

Holy poo poo, what do you do?

I'm self employed, mainly affiliate marketing.

Kal Torak posted:

Okay, but you should be making instalments. And the majority of self employed don't pay EI. So CPP isn't really an excuse for a 20K tax bill.
Yeah, this is true. I only found out about the instalments thing in like November, so hopefully the CRA won't hate me for not doing it this year. Doing it now though.

Kal Torak posted:

Because it is required if your tax owing was 3K or more this year and any of the past 2 years. It's not optional.
Which sucks. I like actually getting interest on my money, even if it's just the like 1% or whaever ING's rate is right now.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Really weird, american express called me back since I never gave them a form with all my personal banking info, account numbers, transit numbers, and a long consent form back to to them. First I was just too lazy and my work doesn't even have a fax, and second why the gently caress do these need all this?

When they called back I just told them I found a very similar card from another company that didn't require all this invasive information. They said these forms and process aren't their doing, they are government mandated for financial security reasons. What the gently caress, no they aren't. Just told them to cancel the card request. Comparing this american express sign up vs the ridiculously easy amazon card sign up is crazy. Federal regulations!

That's so weird, I've had like 5 different Amex cards over the past few years and none of them ever wanted me to fax them anything.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lexicon posted:

CIBC credits once a year, or at least they did when I had a card of theirs.

Same with TD! Though they didn't mail me a cheque, they applied the rebate to my balance every January.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I did very similar... 10% Canadian Bonds, 10% Canadian equity (and they're the only two parts of my portfolio that are negative right now), 20% Europe, 20% International, 20% US in USD, 20% US in CAD.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Is it theoretically possible to sell a house overseas and receive payment for it directly in my canadian bank account, either from another canadian bank account or from a bank in a third country? How will this impact y status as a non-resident for tax purposes?

Theoretically a bank in another country should be able to wire the money directly into your Canadian account. I have no idea as to whether or not they would do this.

Your actual status as a non-resident wouldn't be impacted at all IIRC. Just selling a house in a third country and depositing the money in Canada doesn't count as residential ties here.

But of course I'm just an idiot on the internet and not an accountant or lawyer or anything, just some person who had a husband who had to file a tax return as a non resident once.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mantle posted:

If I were a CRA lawyer I would argue that you actively using your Canadian bank account was an indicator of residency for tax purposes.

If it were literally the only thing tying him to Canada then I doubt that would fly... if he bought a house here and then proceeded to not use it then yeah for sure. But just depositing some cash into a bank account I dunno. But again, that's just me guessing. I think having a bank account here is considered secondary, and you need to have a few secondary ties to count as a RFTP

I suppose there's probably case law on this somewhere on the internet.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Olive Branch posted:

The OP of this thread should have mentioned something to that effect because two days ago was literally the first time I heard of TFSAs for Americans being a terrible idea, and I was lucky it was even mentioned at all. That fact isn't obvious for the vast majority of people, and every Canadian-American I've talked to here wasn't aware of this and everyone's freaking out.

If you, or none of your American friends, all of whom have to file with the IRS every year, couldn't figure out that the fact that Canada was giving you something tax-free might have implications in the other country where you owe taxes, well I don't know what to tell you but that's pretty dumb.

And the fact that you seem pretty upset at the fact that a general information post on a comedy forum didn't give you specifics about your tax situation with a different country entirely is ridiculous.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, the whole thing does suck. I know a few Americans who live in various other parts of the world who have given up their US citizenship because of the whole tax situation.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Canada is literally the worst performing part of my e-series, and I actually have some of that European fund that I assumed would have gotten hammered with the Greece poo poo this week.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

So next week I'm going to europe. Ukraine, CZ, and NL so I get to deal with 3 currencies. What's the least horrible way to get some currency of each country? Should I get it here or there? I also have this silly amazon card that I remember someone saying something about currency conversion is good or special with it. What should I do?

Use your debit card when you're in the countries to withdraw cash from an ATM. I usually order some from my bank when I'm here of whatever the first currency I need is, but it usually takes 4 days to order it so with a week you're cutting it close.

If the Amazon card doesn't charge a 2.5% currency exchange fee (that's what it sounds like but I dunno because I don't have it) then use that as often as possible.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
1) Yes. As long as you stay above that minimum for the whole month.

2) I'm not entirely sure what you mean here.

3) Yes. President's Choice, Tangerine and I think a few credit unions but I'm not sure which are the ones I know of off the top of my head.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So who has the best high interest savings account?

I've had my emergency fund in Tangerine for ages, and with the interest rate down to 0.8%, I was wondering if I could do any better elsewhere, but the info is surprisingly hard to find on bank websites and I'm not up to date on the cool and trendy financial institutions with hipster names like Tangerine.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kal Torak posted:

You may want to watch for any offers that Tangerine has from time to time. A couple months ago they were offering clients with 10K or more in Savings a rate of 3% for 6 months. All you had to do was call them and ask for it. They even maintained the 3% when the BoC cut rates.

I have more than 10k and I never got that offer :(

jm20 posted:

If you are really interested in savings accounts and higher returns for whatever reason you may have to go with a third party lender for the best returns. https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/chart/

Honestly though, have 15-20k cash, and use a HELOC for the rest. If you are really hurting you can dip into some of your TFSA that hasn't lost value.
Uh, I don't have a HELOC because I don't own a place? And no, I'm not putting my emergency fund in the stock market. My TFSA is separate and maxed out anyway. Thanks for the link though!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kal Torak posted:

Yeah, it wasn't publicized. You had to hear about it from a friend or online and then call to ask for it. There's a thread at redflagdeals about it.

Oh, ok. I didn't go to RFD for ages and must have missed it.

It's too bad, I was just there the other day reading the story of a guy who's mad CIBC is taking his house because he didn't pay the mortgage on it for months and blaming them because they didn't accept his dumb repayment terms of "I'll keep paying the mortgage and pay down what I owe whenever I can".

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If I automatically re-invest dividends from my e-series into my TFSA does that count against contribution room? I just noticed that my book value is $12 higher than when I bought the stocks, I figure that's dividend money, and need to know if it reduces how much I can put in for the rest of this year.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lexicon posted:

Dividends do not count against contribution room - otherwise the TFSA wouldn't be such a special creature :dance:

Once you contribute money into TFSA land - whatever happens in there, is yours to keep.

Sweet, thanks!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I still have a book of cheques that I got when I worked at TD bank in university.

I moved out of the address still written on the cheques in 2007. I've finally used 21 of them, I'm almost halfway through the book of 50!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Plus some of us are self employed and have to save all our money for taxes. Between that and my emergency fund a 2% interest rate difference can be worth over 1k a year to me.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

cowofwar posted:

Bah, another wave of invites for the Tangerine mastercard went out today but I didn't get one.

Wish it wasn't random, I've been a ING/tangerine client for a long time.

Same. I've had my account since 2006. They can get hosed.

Also I have a TD Direct Investing TFSA account. Can I theoretically buy stocks from individual companies with it, or does it have to be index funds/mutual funds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lexicon posted:

You can buy whatever you want with TD Direct Investing. TDDI is theoretically the most 'capable' investing account there is in Canada, because you can buy e-series as well as ETFs/stocks/bonds whatever.
Sweet, thanks. I will vaguely consider doing this for weeks on end, eventually decide to buy one share in GoPro, and then realize I don't know my trading password and be too lazy to call TD to get them to set it so I can change it again.