Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Just stumbled on this thread thanks to a recommendation. Definitely going to spend some time catching up.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to know more about Registered Disability Savings Plans or the requisite Disability Tax Credit, hit me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

mila kunis posted:

Anyone here gotten a FHSA yet?

Nope, but I'm a disability advisor and getting a bunch of people asking if the First Home Savings Account is considered an exempt asset for the purpose of stuff like PWD/AISH/ODSP/etc.

As far as we can tell, non-exempt so you have to keep it under your asset limit. If any of you more financial savvy types hear otherwise, let me know!

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Toalpaz posted:

Hi folks, I'm looking for advice on opening not just a US dollar account, but an American domiciled US dollar account as a Canadian with no American citizenship or SSN. I think this is possible, but the steps are very unclear and the SEO is horrible given the terms involved.

I can't help with that, but I swear I've seen you post about having ADHD. Wondering if you might qualify for the Disability Tax Credit, which would get you a break on your income tax. It would also let you open a Registered Disability Savings Plan. Hit me up if you want more info on that.

There are some scams out there around the DTC, but the rule of thumb is just to avoid anyone asking for money. (Other than your doctor, who might charge a fee for filling in the forms.)

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Toalpaz posted:

Thanks, this is good news! I'm pretty enthusiastic about navigating finance and taxes, so I'll probably handle getting the statement from my Nurse Practitioner and filling the form t-2201/application myself. This could be an amazing windfall personally, so thank you so much.

If you happen to be in BC, I can get you an advocate to help with the forms. If not, I can still give you some general advice on filling in Part B of the T2201. My job involves filling in those forms for kiddos, usually with autism and/or autism.

In a nutshell, don't mention anything positive. You're trying to give the CRA a clear picture of your disabilities, not a balanced report. Also, if you get hyperfocus that's detrimental, you can mention that in the appropriate section. I use a lot of language like, "Patient struggles with adapting to change and will have meltdowns if routine is altered, e.g. crying, withdrawing." Remember that you're writing it as if the NP filled it in, not you.

Generally doctors and NPs just don't have time to do the forms with the level of detail needed, especially with spectrum disabilities like ADHD, which is where my work comes in to fill that gap. Some NPs/doctors will let you fill in Part B of the T2201 yourself for them to review and sign, and it sounds like that's what you're going to do.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

pokeyman posted:

I was wondering whether the attribution rule applies to RDSP contributions. All I can find is "Anyone can contribute to an RDSP with the written permission of the plan holder." https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-ag...tributions.html

Eventually it clicked that there's no possible tax advantage for the contributor, as they contribute after-tax dollars. And withdrawals are taxed. So there's no income to attribute for taxes.

Nothing revelatory here (aside from my being kinda dense when it comes to taxes, but that's not news), just posting it in case it helps anyone else. Or if I got it wrong, please let me know.

Sounds right to me. There isn't any tax benefit to contributing to an RDSP, except for the beneficiary, who doesn't pay tax on it even when it's withdrawn. (They do pay tax on government contributions and interest at withdrawal.)

If anyone has RDSP questions, if I don't know the answer, I can find it out pretty quick. I specialize in it for work.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Are there any good books on Canadian financial literacy that are beginner level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Also I'm just now realizing that "financial literacy" might be a superset of "personal finance" so maybe those suggestions are too narrow, sorry.

Just looking for starting places to learn more about stuff outside of my very narrow expertise (RDSP) and also needing recommendations for folks I work with. It's hard to say what I need when I'm not even sure what the necessary topics to cover are going to be. I did a course on Financial Literacy recently with Prosper Canada but it was very basic and didn't really ground anything for me. I use a financial advisor to manage the funds I hold in trust for my brother, as well as my own savings, so I've never had to learn the landscape myself.