Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z5c1H4_4Vk

Holm really needs to move on to proper competition. She's way too good for Legacy FC. That was more an execution than a fight.

Bean Fried, as far as I know Milana Dudieva is still a bantamweight. At least that's what Swedish MMA sites are reporting as the weightclass for her fight against Pannie Kianzad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Nice win for Pannie Kianzad there. I was a bit worried when she lost that point in the second round.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Bean Fried posted:

Beating Dudieva is definitely impressive. That being said, can she really make 135?

Don't know. Iassume she can, considering that she aims for the UFC according to her Swedish interviews. I think, though I'm not sure, that her last fight before this one was at banramweight.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
In case you haven't seen it Invicta has put the entire card from this weekend up on Youtube for free. If you haven't watched it you really should. Not their greatest card, but some pretty fun fights there. Torres is fantastic.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 9, 2013

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Is Jessica Penne not an atomweight anymore? Is she aiming for TUF and in that case, how will that work with her being managed by, of course, Tito Ortiz?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Bean Fried posted:

She has declared that she will be trying out for TUF 20, which is why I added her.

Ah, I see. Cool. She has fun grapplefights. Her fight with Lisa Ellis Ward is the reason I started paying a bit more serious attention to WMMA in the first place. Shame about Tito Ortiz though.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

fatherdog posted:

Why would any of the people below her be ranked above her?

Well, personally I think both Alexis Davis and Jessica Eye have more impressive wins than Tate lately, so I'd probably rank those two ahead of Tate. But then Tate was two rounds up against Zingano, until she got knocked out, so I might be very wrong.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

LobsterMobster posted:

I managed to track down the results of that DEEP Jewels card, and my fave, Mizuki Inoue, missed weight so she was ineligible to win the fight. She armbarred Emi Tomimatsu in the third, so she lost by DQ. Why even have the fight if one person is unable to win? :psyboom:

That sounds really damned wierd. Why not just do what normal promotions do, and issue some form of financial deterrent, like the fighter who misses weight giving up part of their purse.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

I just got back from watching this card live, and it was good fun. IRFA is turning into the best local organisation for up and coming Young fighters with good competitive matchups.

As a bonus I also spotted Joanne Calderwood in the audience. Apperantly she's been over to spar att Gustafsson's home gym, Allstars.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

the least weasel posted:

I-R-F-A! IFRA!

Did you also watch it? There where a fair few people with Berserk clothes there.:)

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 8, 2014

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

the least weasel posted:

Yep! Wearing a Berserk hoodie myself no less. Shame about poor Alexs, he wasn't very happy with his performance. He was basically Jon Jones in comparison to that loving announcer though, holy crap. On a lighter note Karl's match was really cool. Where were you?

I sat on the "opposite" side bleachers with another guy from Pancrase. There where quite a few others there as well, but we where spread out. The announcer was just as bad last IRFA. Karl was indeed really good and it went well for Martin from Pancrase as well. Shame about Sadibou Sy though, but the guy he fought is a pretty damned good grappler apperantly, so no shame in losing.

From what I hear Sadibou is actually supposed to fight two more times before the end of May, which is pretty crazy, assuming no injuries in his fights.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Here is the Melvin/Cyborg fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWjqArbm28w

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Captain Log posted:

I remember Bellator seeming like a semi-legitamate organization. Not it's barely a step above Retard Jim's Ho-Down Slap Fights and 50 Cent Wing night. What happened?

Of course.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Marching Powder posted:

anyone else preparing to read that can stop right here

I should have taken that advice.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Opal posted:

A former club mate of mine is competing for Sweden so go Jimmie!

edit: Haha also the people in the cover photos are current club mates of mine.

Two people from my gym are there as well. And it's not surprising that the photos are from Sweden. The whole IMMAF initiative seems to have started up here. I guess we like to organise amateur sports

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Yuriy posted:

Genuinely kinda curious what b-leagues are left at this point

There's the AXS.tv ones which at this point are pretty much just RFA and Legacy shows.

Oplot is dead, KSW runs shows super rarely.

Tachi Palace is back and streams about once every 2 months.

Bellator has its own thread, Invicta is now under the Zuffa/ Fight Pass label...

Shooto Brazil and Jungle Fights rarely if ever seem to be on anymore and Combate keeps cancelling broadcasts on short notice.

Is it really just OneFC, a periodic Fight Nights Moscow show, Tachi and WSOF left?

Oh and TitanFC, I forgot they have a TV deal now

Cage Warriors seems to do just fine.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

LobsterMobster posted:

Dudes in Bellator what should be in UFC:

HW - JT, Those Russians, Blagoi, Mighty Mo, Manny Lara
LHW - Newton, RezDog
MW - Shlemenko :smith:
WW - Koreskov, MVP
LW - Alvarez, Chandler, Brooks, Caveman, Pole Harris
FW - Curran, Pitbull, Frodo, Shamwow
BW - Edward Dentist

Dudes in WSoF what should be in UFC:

HW - The Meh-Man (Destroyer of Rolles), I Heart Huckabas
LHW - Tyrone Sponge, Kalib Starnes
MW - Filho
WW - Burk-Man, JAKE SHIELDS
LW - Gaethje, Newell, Dugulubgov
FW -
BW - Marlin More rear end
WSW - JAG

No Fitch?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

LobsterMobster posted:

Baroni was cut for sympathizing with War Machine so gently caress him and let him box hobos for sandwiches

Well, he was also probably cut because he's bad at fighting.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I'm watching Cage Warriors 71 right now and it surprised me that they really focused on how Cage Warriors is the way to get into the UFC for European fighters in the promo at the start of the event. Does Cage Warriors have some formalised deal with the UFC? Because it struck me as a bit strange to be so explicit in how they are a sort of feeder League for a rival promotion.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think the problem there is considering them rivals when they aren't at all. There's absolutely no downside for them to admit they're a feeder league and plenty of upside.

Yeah, sure, but still it seemed a bit odd to me that they actually mentioned the UFC by name several times instead of just alluding to it by hyping CW as the main European promotion and similar phrases.

Either way, so far it's a fun card. Cage Warriors is pretty good, for a B-league.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

fatherdog posted:

Same is true of Miyata, but I was being as generous as possible.

Reza Madadi managed to do pretty well, with a base in greco and freestyle. Too bad he is also a tremendous idiot.

I was also going to mention Ilir Latifi, but I guess that can wait until he beats anyone who's actually decent.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Holy poo poo did Gomes look to be in rough shape. She must have a pretty brutal cut to 135.

Modafferi can always be trusted to back up my thesis that MMA fighters are the biggest nerds in sports.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
This was just posted in the grappling thread, but I imagine it could be worth posting here as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpxdmohwNtE

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 24, 2014

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Dangersim posted:

I wonder how it feels to call yourself a "world champion" when you live in a world where the UFC exists.

I actually don't really think it's all that silly to have several world champions spread out over various organisations in sports like MMA, where there really aren't any official tournaments run by independent governing bodies, like there is in wrestling or swimming, for instance. In sports run mainly by private Corporations world champion merely means it was a competition within a certain organisation open to competitors from all or most nationalities, as opposed to competitions restricted to nationals of a certain smaller geographical area.

Certain Wwrld champion titles will just be more meaningful than others but it's not really wrong to call them all world campionship titles, European titles, or whatever region they restrict themselves to.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Finally, som proper, in-depth, MMA journalism.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I just watched Kianzad's fight, since I'm horribly nationalistic, and I really liked her boxing. She is improving pretty rapidly. Hopefully she gets a chance in the UFC soonish.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Yuriy posted:

however if he's a LHW outside the ufc his toughest competition is what, liam mcgreery?

i mean poo poo, lhw outside the ufc is probably the most drastically bad division

Phil Davis is in Bellator. He might often be boring, but I'm sure he could wrestle a Russian has been for a few rounds.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Triticum Guzzler posted:

93kg MMA - Vadim Nemkov vs. Karl Albrektsson

Kickboxing matches all look like they came straight out of a regional Japanese promotion, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Rena and the wrestler quietly drop off the card. Apart from the variety of awful loving crimes, Cruickshank vs Sasaki is legit, and Huggy Bear vs Sidelnikov will likely be fun, and if not, be funny.

You missed mentioning the most important fight! You should all root for Karl Albrektsson because he's a nice kid training at my gym and we all have high hopes for him.

So far he's only competed in a few local shows here in Sweden and also grappled in that small tournament that was arranged before one of the Metamoris shows a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgrJCmcVexM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhKod_s96mg

That's all, I'll return to lurking for a few months now.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Is there actually any way to watch Rizin? I really would like to see how Karl Albrektsson does in his fight against that Vadim guy.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Ah well, I'll see if I can work it out some way. Thanks.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I just saw on Sherdog that Karl won his fight against that Russian guy. Did any of you watch it and if so was it a good performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Thanks!

I'm biased, but that was cool and good.