Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Well, this is an odd one. Remember that Korean guy that was supposed to fight Nick Diaz a million years ago on the Frank Shamrock/Cung Le card, but ended up getting guillotined in seconds by Drew Fickett? He just retired Mach Sakurai, but wasn't even supposed to be fighting.

Mach was holding his own event and was supposed to fight Shamar Bailey. Naturally he wasn't going to make weight, so he negotiated a catchweight and then also blew that, so Bailey refused the fight. Jae Suk Lim was there to corner someone else, borrowed some shorts and won by TKO.

A weird ending to an equally weird career. Thanks for killing Trigg and Aoki, enjoy getting fatter than ever.

what was the catchweight and how badly did he blow it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

outy posted:

Alvarez is a guaranteed increase in PPV buys because you always get high drama. Every fight of his is like watching a bar fight on CCTV in fast-forward, he always gets knocked out then bounces back up like he's just used an extra life.

ok, so i'm assuming that eddie alvarez is probably at least kinda well known by the bellator audience. does him being on a show boost their ratings at all?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I kind of think he's just going off the deep end or something

All of that is true though. Except making people cry on facebook is worth the spying

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
just hopped in. did somebody get hit in the nardicles.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
how does oplot put on so many shows

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
we did it

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i thought iggy had hepatitis or was an international art thief or something

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

dear rheinhold, sergei is struggling with his clothing whilst eye of the tiger plays RIGHT NOW

he just nailed the greatest double of all time

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
the ref waived the fight off, then sergey cracked the dude.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

it was good. also you missed sergei get knocked down in the first.

concerning.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I think its probably a good idea to see if askren can hang with competition better than jason high before signing him. If the roster is over stuffed why not wait until after some other dudes have washed out and askren beats like dennis kang standing on paulo filho's shoulder ir whatever

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Yuriy posted:

It's frustrating to see people like this season's TUF cast get into the UFC while a guy who is much, much better than them gets told to gently caress off.

Roxanne Modafferi: UFC Fighter
Ben Askren: Not a UFC fighter

That's hosed up imo

Tuf people are like the american version of the lovely hometown foreign fighters. They arent real people

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Except the canadian guy who cried when his bed got peed on. Hes not american

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
that is the best video because marcelo hits the loving secret move

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Askren's scrambly style also plays directly into marcelo's strengths. Assumably askren would do better now after a few more years of training, but its hard to predict what better would mean

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Chexoid posted:

My fav. marcelo video is after he beat Jake Shields and Shields goes back to his locker room like :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3lORxrOEGg

is that the first and only time jake's been tapped

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
well if miller did someone beat jake, just imagine how knocked out he would have gotten by dan henderson

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
for reference watch the mendes/shields video, and reconsider how close miller was to actually getting that choke

david carmichael fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 4, 2013

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
and who says the mma boom is over in japan

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i'd rather see palhares/fitch, spong/johnson, moraes in the ufc, okami/shlemenko is cool and i don't care about anything else.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I don't know if it's on Netflix or whatever but I recently saw a kind of funny MMA movie from Hong Kong on a flight. It's all choreographed like this and has insane amounts of fouls and taekwondo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktVJo5WBqw0

It tries to be extremely serious and dramatic but isn't very good at it. Also one of the main characters is just some guy who signed up for a pro fight and has no training, so he gets the training montage which is entirely boxing and then his coaches are like "your fight is in 2 weeks, so it's time you learned some submissions". It's very telling about the region's perception of MMA.

entirely accurate

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Sprecherscrow posted:

XFL was the same sport as the NFL with some specific rule changes. HiP show is a goofy game show relative of MMA. I'm not seeing your point.

did you see the xfl.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Captain Log posted:

What happened? Please don't say war, that would be a bummer.

Oplots been making the news a lot because apparently theyve rallied a pretty capable militia. Its incredible.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
melvin vs filho II is the most important fight that has ever happened

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
good.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
let us discuss a more troubling issue: some of you read sherdog, and are actively clicking links to it. is everything ok? are you in distress?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Holy Moly Dr. De Mars rules.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
also i don't read yuriy's posts but when doing written play by play "the black guy" is stupid unless you've already identified which guy is black. and willie: describing someone as like the "fiery redhead" or the "shiny baldman" or whatever is also stupid. its not prose, its play by play.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
joe smith vs chad walters, professor rodnus' fight league 26: battle of the battlers

the salt & pepper brit comes out swinging. he is promptly taken down by the black. the asian in the crowd looks bored. the tattooed behemoth from langley is really taking control of this fight. the action is incredible. finally, the referee steps in and stops the fight after a flurry catches the guy with the tattoo of a weird bug on his calf with his hands down.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
like if someone referred to saul alvarez as "the mexican" no one who didn't already know who he was would have any clue what the gently caress you are talking about. corner/colour is much more obvious and clear for so many reasons.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Captain Log posted:

"The black guy..."

"Huuuurrr!" *Is a white goon, feigns fake race outrage, probably has thoughts about racism against Brazilians.*

great stuff.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Seltzer posted:

It was still better than your 3 consecutive posts.

four consecutive posts.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
which brings me back to my point: be clear in your communication.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
like i don't know if you've read summaries of action in other sports before, but what they do is: they describe the action by clearly identifying the people involved and clearly describing the action. yuriy clearly likes his terrible mma but his posts are bad because they don't convey any information to anyone who isn't watching Zutroy's Combat Silo with him.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Seltzer posted:

Three of them were about one topic, one wasn't. Treating threads like a chat is really stupid and annoying by the way.

nothing can be more illegal than posting messages on a message board.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Captain Log posted:

This is all why if I'm pointing someone out of a group of people to a friend I'm sure to say, 'The person who just leaned slightly to the left with a wistful gaze" rather than, "The black/bald/old/bearded/one-eyed guy."

Those people can see the guys. People reading posts cannot. They have no visual reference. That's why it is not useful written play-by-play or summaries. You should re-read the posts I made perhaps more carefully.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

I want my incorrect opinions worded like an essay and condensed into one post

yours quite often are.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
how do i embed superslam.swf? need it for a project

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

What metric* are you using for "often" here

*criterion, excuse me

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

coconono posted:

I love cryptocurrencies but I'm competely gobsmacked each time one of them does a sponsorship like this.

It'd be like the EU sponsoring a fighter.

Not really.