Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
It really speaks to the incompetence of fitchs camp that they would get him off the all wheat diet before fighting hallman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
From the iranian village of olympehran

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

jz's slide just will not stop

he was the greatest in the world at one point.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
and now that means melvin is the greatest. story checks out

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
roger huerta sincerely believed he was gonna be hollywood famous after his fight against clay guida and he stopped fighting + caring about fighting and it turns out that if you are sort of a marginal athlete its really hard to keep up if you just stop for awhile. particularly while the talent level is quickly increasing

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

what? i'm not doubting you or anything, but, what?

the sex trade in singapore is thriving.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

coconono posted:

it was Strikeforce and Gilbear made him look like an absolute chump.

greatest card of all times.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
it is mindblowing to me that yoshida the younger is 40

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
shut up yuiry

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
paulo filho.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
ricardo arona.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
shalorus is a notorious liar, to the point where people were questioning whether or not he was actually kamal shalorus

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

fatherdog posted:

To expand on this (because it's something I often allude to without actually explaining, which is a bad habit) the reasons for this are twofold, both of which are based on the scoring systems -

1) in Freestyle/Greco, points for takedowns are scored escalatingly based on the amplitude and landing. So a takedown that barely gets your opponent down on all fours gets one point, and a bigger cleaner takedown gets 3, and a huge suplex gets 5. Whereas in folkstyle, all takedowns are two points, so a dirty double that just barely gets your opponent on the mat scores exactly the same as spinning your opponent on your finger and slamming him on the mat while you whistle "Sweet Georgia Brown". So Freestyle/Greco incentivizes lengthy handfighting to set up a big throw, whereas folkstyle incentivizes bulldogging your opponent to the mat by any means necessary. Since pure grappling handfighting and setups often aren't applicable in mma and for the most part nobody gives a poo poo how you get your opponent on the mat as long as you get him there and keep him there, the skills involved with folkstyle are much more directly applicable to mma.

2) Par terre rules - once you hit the mat in Freestyle/Greco, if the action "stalls" for more than like 20 seconds the referee restarts it on the feet. In folkstyle, on the other hand, you get points for riding time (keeping top control on your opponent for a certain length of time) and for escapes (getting out from under your opponent). So Freestyle/Greco incentivizes flattening out and stalling as soon as you get taken down, whereas Folkstyle incentivizes fighting as hard as possible to get back to your feet and escaping (and, conversely, maintaining control of your opponent after a takedown). The latter rather obviously develops much more useful skills for mma.

This is why just about 99% of the freestyle/greco wrestlers that have successfully adapted their wrestling to mma are guys with extensive folkstyle experience, the only notable exceptions being Sakuraba (who is an outlier in nearly every possible respect) and Miyata.
i mostly agree but also: yoel romero.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
and while sakrabab was a decent freestyle guy with a good single leg, we can all agree that his main success was due to his training in the One True form of wrestling: professional

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Is mccully a parillo guy and is that why he always cornered bj? is parillo the connection between ortiz and bj's early success and later sucking absolute dog balls

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

niethan posted:

wasn't oplot originally ukrainian? dammmnn

Oplot ended up turning into a pro-russian militia who did pretty well power grabbing wise

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

LobsterMobster posted:

I think Bas has been uploading his fights with his commentary about the fight. So we are missing out on "bong bong bong"

Bas made and sold dvds of all his fights with commentary like 10 years ago. Im sure these are just reuploads of those dvds

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
the popularity of wwe is directly tied to the prevalence of autism.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I think we should follow ugly, stupid yuriy's example

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
But the baars fight is really cool because its one of those elite kickboxers vs (relatively) really good mma strikers, which have a history of going either way

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
145. and baars is a legit 65 kg, having pretty much outgrown 63 kg

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
You have to imagine that they have some kind of angle or plan in doing this because this seems completely absurd.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I am keen to know what sakuraba's training is currently like, and also what is like 5 and 10 years ago

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gso2Fa3vtwU

The One Who Easily Defeated Jeff Monson, He Belongs To THe MMA Elite

finally! sergey's years of practice hitting a completely immobile piece of meat shall pay off

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Apparently Fallon Fox did a Q&A on the UG, I bet that went really well and turned out to be a great idea

i wonder what her expected outcome to this was

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i consider jose canseco to be a child of the world. so watch canseco vs hong man choi

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
you got butterbean vs the pro wrestling guy, you got sergey vs ninja, you got barnett vs nakamura and kondo, you got basically all of semmy schilt's mma wins, etc.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
bellator averaged 1.2 million, which would put it at a tie for the 21st most watched ufc prelim. i don't know how much promotional effort was put towards the show, but when you consider the costs associated with it + the fact that there was no ppv afterwards to actually make the lions share of hte money its sort of silly to consider it a major success. spiketv cards get better viewership than fox sports cards, for a bunch of reasons and very few of htem have anything to do with product quality. plus spiketv advertising dollars are worth far less than fs1 dollars

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

sergei is a svelte 260lbs and will be fighting kenny garner in china tomorrow live on the internet, if you're into that sort of thing

*licks lips*

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvQC_nvm0aY

thus far it appears to be a furious laying upon by garner

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
sergei escapes with 10 seconds left and the crowd loses their poo poo

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
sergei employing an excellent strategy of letting the fat guy hit him 100 times

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Yuriy posted:

bellator announced manhoof vs schlemenko

yesssssssss

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

pudz is fighting old man nastula today, also mamed khalidov vs brett cooper. ksw alarm sounded.

YESSSSSSSSSS

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
things ain`t been so great since natsula got tapped to dick kicks

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
rapists, wife beaters, frauds, racists, those who didn't care much for pet sounds, thieves, etc.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

shouldna been standing there

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

willie_dee posted:

I want to know why more fighters are not attempting to attack the leg with submissions. BJJ now doesn't work traditionally anymore in MMA and Nate's fight last night showed that but it's certainly working on the aggressive side for Rousimar.

most fighters are nowhere near as good at no gi grappling as rousimar, and most fighters are nowhere near as strong.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Seltzer posted:

Murilo Bustamante, his mentor and long time defender, went on record saying that he was a danger when things got too out of hand. FD can speak on it or not, but when a guy like Murilo comes out and blasts you its pretty obvious there is a big problem
http://www.mmamania.com/2013/10/13/4833362/maurilo-bustamante-says-rousimar-palhares-injured-training-partners

I'm not trying to be funny, Rousimar is borderline mentally-handicapped and shouldn't be fighting for everyone's sake. He's gonna ruin more people, promoters are gonna end up in lovely situations, and he's not a world beater so he's going to take more damage. You don't want a guy who is already dumber than punch drunk to get punch drunk.

He hasnt taken very much damage in his career, and also its a good thing that hes getting rich by hurting mike pierce and jon fitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

sergey is having none of this