Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

individual865 posted:

-Akihiro Gono (!!!) vs. Eduardo Garvon

I know the answer is "because he has no money" but what? no. why?

And Brian Foster fighting always makes me uneasy since the brain haemmorhage thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Huh. Andre Benkei started a new team and invited Gono over, so now Gono is living and fighting in Brazil. What a strange world.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
hahaha the guy who gono fought has his nickname listed as "Matrix / Nick Diaz"

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Honestly I really like what WSOF has going, it's definitely no WEC or Strikeforce, but it feels much more like one of those parallel organisations than Bellator which is mostly preoccupied with tournament stuff

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
You mean FFC? It's run by Orsat Zovko (Crocop's manager) and probably the manager of whichever Croatians end up on the card so be careful but it's good that he's got plenty of notice, and even when he ran the Glory show with Crocop/Bonjasky somehow they didn't give it to Mirko. However, the K-1 thing.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Nobody's sure if it even applies to MMA, nobody has the money or the inclination (yet) to go to court to find out, and nobody's ever been prosecuted under the act anyway.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Rumina Sato finally retired today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrHOmYaw9GE

Fought every single one of his fights for Shooto, even though Joe Silva would've killed his own mother to sign him, even when PRIDE brought far bigger money to the lighter weights he never wavered :patriot:

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

coconono posted:

Speaking of Scott Coker, is he still under UFC employ? I'd be curious to see if he'd go back into fight promoting.

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/04/with-zuffa-contract-complete-former-strikeforce-boss-plans-to-travel-not-promote

his contract was up last month, he's not under a non compete clause but he's not planning to immediately jump into promoting anyway

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
he's a big boy and can surely spring for a frijj rather than a yazoo

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
dance with the one that brought you

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/5/18/5728820/bob-sapp-says-he-spent-the-end-of-his-career-paying-off-big-medical

Bob Sapp posted:

As far as what retired me, it’s very simple. I have what’s called accountability: I have the ability to do my own accounting, and when you have well over 10 million dollars there's no longer a need to step into the ring anymore

:patriot:

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Yeah, he's not BSing about that. A few years ago he put that the promoter must pay Gary Goodridge $500 into his contract at least once, and nobody would have known if Goodridge didn't thank him in public.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
WHAT? Jadamba fought and I didn't know???

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/6/2/5773496/alleged-suicide-bombing-planned-for-m-1-challenge-49-foiled

quote:

An M-1 Challenge event scheduled to be held this coming weekend in Dzheirakh, Ingushetia narrowly escaped disaster when an alleged suicide bomber was arrested by security forces last weekend.

[...]

M-1 Challenge 49 will be headlined by a bout between Kenny Garner and Shamil Abdurahimov.

oh. well then.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

fatherdog posted:

Is this going to be another sad deflating balloon, or a glorious trainwreck?

for some reason I remember him being persona non grata with the tv people? I know Fuji TV are interested in K-1 programming now that nobody cares about the yakuza stuff anymore, but MMA is a hard sell since DREAM completely failed

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
it's cool that the wsof guy publicly threatened people for not taking fights then every single person under contract, including matt hammil, got injured

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
37 year old tkd guy making his debut, wondrous

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
lol the hometown guy, who himself was 38, got outboxed by an iranian tkd guy, outgrappled by an iranian tkd guy, and then knocked out cold with the most gentle slam ko of all time, by a 37 year old iranian tkd guy making his mma debut

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
this is the best fight i've ever seen

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
depends if the army outlaws it or not

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
usually i hate onefc but when the lumpinee champ was in there i actually kind of enjoyed the grimy spectacle of putting two guys from the sex tourist parts of asia in a cage and seeing who dies of soccer kicks first

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
lol at putting the filipino wushu guy against either of these guys

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
After losing his rear end on property by buying at the peak of the bubble, Jon Fitch has learned a valuable lesson

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/6/20/5828332/one-fc-to-stage-10-events-annually-in-mainland-china

one fc apparently cracked mainland china? prepare for a million sanda dudes holding on to guillotines from under side control

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
wait how long has ballman been his opponent?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I knew everybody had been playing musical chairs with opponents but I didn't know Hallman was in. He's old and broken now but it would be bad news for Fitch if he has one last drop of the Hughes magic. I like that fight, it will probably be terrible.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
pleeeeeease varner him

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
oh sweet this is super early, i'll get to watch a fitch fight and justin goatse

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
great footwork by gracie towards the end of the round

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
The Varner Family *rhythmic cough*

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
this ring announcer sounds like a child pretending to be a ring announcer

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Nick Newell is cool and I hope he wins

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

wooger posted:

Any way I can watch this in the UK? I was watching the prelim stream on wsof.com, they're replaying random stuff like weigh-ins now.

Is the main event going to show on this stream?

you probably already know since it's playing, but yes

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
jz's slide just will not stop

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
hallman has basically done nothing but lie down and get his rear end kicked and turn purple. it's sad.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Foul Fowl posted:

i thought newell was a muay thai guy

you're thinking of baxter humby

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

-Atom- posted:

if you don't like Jon Fitch then gently caress You

agreed in full

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Sefo's sounded completely unintelligible for years

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Foul Fowl posted:

newell looks like he's out of gas/too beat up already

yeah, he acquitted himself well early on and then slowed down like a heavyweight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Gaethje was put in a no win situation, but that's about the best way you could hope to brutally beat up a guy with one arm