Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Caol Uno had his first fight in Shooto in 1996, and he's fighting again next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

JoshGrossESPN posted:

Gen Isono tells me Yushin Okami made his decision on which promotion to join. Several expressed interest. WSOF is frontrunner IMO. In talks.

Probably be an announcement soon, then.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Burkman already gets Coleman-levels of red in the first round, I doubt he's in any hurry to go up a weight class.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Attn. Rheinhold -

quote:

"When Pride was over I didn’t negotiate with the UFC," Arona told MMAFighting in Itacoatiara, a beautiful beach in Niteroi, Rio de Janeiro. "I wanted to take some time off. I was fighting five times a year and needed some rest. When I decided to return, I injured my knee and everything has changed.

"I competed professionally since I was 15, and when I was 30 I needed to stop," he continued. "Pride was over and I decided to stop and look to the MMA market, to see where I’d fit. I fought again two years later, at Bitetti Combat, but I torn the ACL in the first round. I fought two more rounds, so it took me almost two years to heal."

Fans around the world ever wondered if he would ever fight again when he accepted to fight UFC veteran Martin Eastman at Bitetti Combat 4 in Rio de Janeiro, winning via decision.

It wasn’t the best performance of his career, but it was a great win considering he injured his knee in the first round, when his foot got stuck between the mat and the fence.

"I’ve fought 18 times in Japan and didn’t feel the pressure I’ve felt fighting in Rio de Janeiro," he said. "I’ve never fought in a cage before and I felt very comfortable there. Many fighters felt that change [after Pride], but I loved it. I felt at home inside the cage."

With an injured knee, Arona went to Las Vegas with his friend Rogerio "Minotouro" Nogueira, who was scheduled to fight Jason Brilz at UFC 114 in May 2010, to meet Dana White.

According to Arona, the UFC president told him to get one more win before they sign him, but it never happened. Three years have passed since that day, and he had the chance to fight again when he got offers from major promotions like Strikeforce, but he never accepted.

"When I decided to fight again, I started to train with my friend Paulo Filho, but I injured my other knee," he said. "I’ve tore the ligaments of my other knee and I will have to go on surgery again. I will do the surgery by the end of the year, so I will need to take some time off to be at 100 percent again. That’s the reason I’m not fighting yet. I have to heal everything to return."

Arona has only won one fight in seven years, but he still wants to compete against the best.

"UFC is the goal of every fighter, and that’s my goal," he said. "I don’t know if I’ll need one or two more fights to get there, but I’m not worried. UFC is the goal, and I will be ready to get there. The only chance I won’t fight again is if my body can’t do it anymore. But I had a knee surgery before and healed well, so I believe my other knee will be 100 percent. I know time flies, but I also believe in my experience. Everything will be alright.

"I’ve talked about it a lot in the past, so I decided I won’t fix a deadline for my return because I need to be solid in every aspect of the fight to return, and I still have that knee surgery to do," he continued. "I believe my recovery will take a year and I should be able at least to decide what’s next at the end of 2014. Will I return fighting jiu-jitsu, submission or straight to MMA? I expect to be ready to fight in one year after the surgery, but if it takes more than a year I’m okay with that too. No rush. I need to get ready to return at 100 percent and that’s what matters."

But a fighter needs money, and having only a single fight in six years doesn't afford a house in Itacoatiara.

"Every athlete lives with the money they get from sponsors and purses," Arona said, "and I haven’t competed recently, but I have Quiksilver and Moskova as sponsors and they support me a lot."

"The Brazilian Tiger" is slowly building his gym in his own house, and he expects to be surrounded by the best teammates when it’s finally finished.

"I like to teach and watch people learning and growing as fighters, but I’m extremely competitive," he said. "I’m building a structure where I can train and get ready to compete. I want to have at my house everything a fighter needs to be able to compete at the highest level without leaving Itacoatiara. I have everything I need here. I live in peace, thinking about my projects. I can stay healthy using the nature, like the mountains and the sea. It would be tougher to do it in the city, and that’s why I love to live here."

"I’ll build a structure with all the equipment I need, but I will also have the best sparring," he continued. "I have a lot of good guys to help me here, but I also want my friends to help me, like Anderson Silva, Rodrigo 'Minotauro', Amaury Bitetti, Rogerio 'Minotouro', Paulo Filho and many others. I will also go to Rio de Janeiro to train with them, but I don’t want to need to go there to train like I needed in the past."

Arona looks slimmer today, but he still weighs the same he used to when he competed in Japan.

"My weight is the same for 10 years," he said. "I weigh 205 pounds and have always weighted that. I always weighed around 209 pounds on fight night while my opponents were at 220, 225 pounds. I believe that the fighters should weigh in on the same day of the fight. Weighing in the day before is ridiculous. That’s not your real weight. You’re a big coward if you need to lose 25 pounds to fight. If you’re really good, there’s no weight. You need to fight at your real weight class."

Arona will be a 36-year old fighter when he finally recovers from his knee injury (projected to be at some point in 2015), but he believes he will be ready to beat anyone in the UFC -- and that includes Jon Jones.

"Jon Jones is reigning in this division, but his last fight was really close," Arona said. "People have trouble dealing with his height and reach, his style, but he’s not unbeatable. You just need to be smart.

"We all saw after his last fight that he’s not that monster that everybody believed he was," he continued. "When I fought Alistair Overeem, he was a monster as big as Jones and I used the right strategy to win. You need the right strategy to beat Jon Jones. Glover Teixeira is an aggressive fighter standing, but he can’t let Jon Jones fight his game.

"I’m capable of beating any fighter. I’ve proven it already. I only need to be 100 percent to do it. Today, I can’t beat any of them. That’s the reality. But I believe a lot in myself. I’ve fought fighter from every weight class. Doing the right thing, I have a chance against any of them. Most of the fighters today (in the UFC) lose because they make mistakes, not because the other one if better than them."

Before driving back home in his car, a mid-1990’s silver BMW, the Pride veteran asks to send a message to his fans around the world, He wants to remind them that Ricardo Arona will fight again.

"I’m doing everything I need to return to the ring and do my best again," Arona said. "I know I’m the type of fighter that the market needs, and I need this time to get ready to go to war again."

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
In related news, http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/10/13/4835236/yushin-okami-signs-with-world-series-of-fighting

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Stevens is going to finish the job Sotiropolous started

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

coconono posted:

Stiffing hookers is super bad juju Aleks.

So's not paying them.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

quote:

The World Series of Fighting continues to expand its global footprint with the launch of World Series of Fighting Japan (WSOF Japan).

World Series of Fighting launches its new Japanese division in a partnership with the long-running and highly respected Pancrase organization, a Tokyo-based group that has promoted mixed martial arts events since 1993 and is widely considered one of the most historically important organizations in the sport.

"Japan has long been a home of top-level martial arts competitions of all types, and I personally have enjoyed some of the best moments of my fighting career there," World Series of Fighting President Ray Sefo said. "I'm excited to announce this new division with the launch of World Series of Fighting Japan.

"I look forward to working with Pancrase CEO Masakazu Sakai and his team, and together we will produce amazing events for the Japanese fight fans, as well as big opportunities for both Asia-based fighters and MMA fighters around the globe."

I was vaguely aware that Pancrase was still putting on shows, but I haven't seen anything of them in years. Do they actually have any worthwhile fighters?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
re: the UFC adding women's 115 division -

quote:

The question on everyone's mind now is, what will happen to Invicta FC? The deepest pool of talent at 115 is most certainly in Shannon Knapp's meticulous care, so it stands to reason that is where Sean Shelby and Joe Silva will be fishing from to bolster their new division. I spoke with Shannon just a few moments ago to get an official statement. Here's what she had to say:

quote:

I think it's great. I've always said that my goal was to build these divisions out to bring awareness to the female athletes in the sport by giving them a home and opportunities. I believe the UFC bringing in more weight divisions is proof that we are breaking down the barriers and moving the sport forward for the females. I saw it and believed in it from the start, and I'm happy that Invicta has been instrumental in changing the landscape for the female athletes. It's always been my personal and professional goal to make a difference in this sport, and I believe that each and every day, I'm accomplishing that.

Knapp made it clear that Invicta is here to stay, and that she will continue to build all the weight divisions in her organization. She states that she wasn't 'broadsided' with the news, that the decision to move forward with the division plans came about just recently, and she was kept in the loop about it. She maintains that her sterling relationship with the UFC is intact and strong. Her commitment to women's MMA is still her number one priority, and in her own words, Invicta isn't going anywhere. She states that,

quote:

I think it's a testament to how well Invicta is doing, and I couldn't be more proud of what we've managed to accomplish for the women in the sport. We've just begun our work, and we want to keep making a difference. There's going to be a demand for more talent. I plan to give them a home where new strawweight competitors can be built up. This doesn't mean the end of anything. Honestly, this is just the beginning.

There's still plenty of work to be done in all of the women's divisions. I'm looking at this as a personal and professional victory, and it is of tremendous benefit to the athletes. When the biggest organization out there is taking a look at what you've done, and they embrace it, then you know you've succeeded.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

WSOF matchmaker Ali Abdel-Aziz posted:

I really feel bad for Ben Askren right now and the things he is going through. I love the sport so much, but sometimes I get disgusted with some of the things people do. You have this guy who is the Bellator champion and then you have this jerk from Bellator, Bjork Rebney or whatever his name is. He talks bad about Ben first saying he is 'boring' and 'one-dimensional' and he is their champion. The reason he is saying that is because he already knows in his mind he is going to release him. I think its disrespectful to Ben, the guy is an Olympian, there doesn't come a better athlete than this, and listen, he is a one-dimensional fighter but his last two fights were so exciting and the guy brings a lot to the table. H talks, has a good personality, stays active on social media and for Bellator to do that I think it was disgusting and an embarrassment for the sport to talk bad about your champion just because you know you're going to release him.

[...]

They did it in such a scummy, dirty, slimy way. The first thing Rebney did was say he is one-dimensional, that he isn't the most exciting, and then they released him on the 20th anniversary of UFC to make themselves relevant, because honestly, the Bellator name is not relevant in the media, that's just the reality of it. They could have been classy about it, they could have said 'good luck,' but they played this little game with UFC and it really hurt the guy [Askren], it didn't hurt Bellator. I think he did a lot for Bellator and I think it's wrong what they did. This is why I don't think they are going to last for long, the time is going to be coming soon for them to leave.

[...]

They don't put on fights anyone cares about except Alvarez vs. Chandler. Who cares about other fights? I don't care about it as an MMA fan and listen, I watched the Alvarez vs. Chandler fight because I knew every other fight on the undercard sucked. Realistically, Bellator doesn't have anyone that can fight Askren. We do, we have a lot more competition than they do.

[...]

Bjorn Rebney is just not a good guy, he's just not. I dealt with him when I managed guys and he is just not a good guy. I think Viacom is a great platform and Spike is amazing. I think people are more excited now to watch Glory than Bellator.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the whole idea was that if he beats some ufc castoffs and is no longer a "bellator guy" then any success he had in the ufc wouldn't legitimse bellator

I'm pretty sure another part of it is that the UFC wanted some footage to promote him with coming in; they can't use Bellator footage and he's had like three fights ever that weren't in Bellator.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

coconono posted:

I'm no grappling aficionado but Askren's style is super TV friendly. He makes it look easy. I'll be happy wherever he ends up.

I find Askren's style really fun to watch but I have no idea whether the casual fan agrees. What are the ratings like for Askren fights comparative to other Bellator champs?

Also, Askren's already said in interviews he has zero interest in being on TUF.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

TheReverend posted:

But not close enough that being good at one passively helps you be good at the other.

Wrong

Marching Powder posted:

can somebody explain to me why someone can do this to an olympian? i know bjj and wrestling are two different things but i thought they were close cousins or something

Because Marcelo is an insane once-in-a-lifetime talent and if BJJ were in the Olympics he'd probably have enough medals to gold-plate his kitchen.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

is that the first and only time jake's been tapped

In competition? I think so. Cameron Earle got him in a super-deep armlock in ADCC and I guess Miller was sort of close to RNCing him; those are the only other times I remember him being even close to being submitted.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

I don't think there's a kickboxing thread anymore

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472801

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

Why is Tate ranked so high?

Why would any of the people below her be ranked above her?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I don't know if it's on Netflix or whatever but I recently saw a kind of funny MMA movie from Hong Kong on a flight. It's all choreographed like this and has insane amounts of fouls and taekwondo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktVJo5WBqw0

It tries to be extremely serious and dramatic but isn't very good at it. Also one of the main characters is just some guy who signed up for a pro fight and has no training, so he gets the training montage which is entirely boxing and then his coaches are like "your fight is in 2 weeks, so it's time you learned some submissions". It's very telling about the region's perception of MMA.

The only previous time I've seen mma in hong kong movies is Flashpoint/Dǎo Huǒ Xiàn, which isn't about mma (it's a fairly standard Hong Kong gangster/cop flick) but all the fight scenes are mma for no readily apparent reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C_nssjVrSo

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Just call the male one Guyborg.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Pele was absolutely considered an elite fighter in the late 90's/2000. He started on a slide in 2001 and never really made it back above journeyman status after that point.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Not many fighters do a good straight knee (as opposed to upwards). Schilt's the only one that springs to mind.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

PaganGoatPants posted:

Is this where I discuss WSOF?

This is the appropriate thread, yes. You could make a GDT if you care too but I really doubt enough people are watching to warrant it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
This guy's corner really should not have let him come out for this round, and they REALLY shouldn't let him come out for round 5, assuming he survives that long

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Allahu Armbar

lmao

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
My favorite Rumina Sato anecdote is after getting his first professional loss against Joel Gerson, he flew to Canada specifically and solely for the purpose of entering the Canadian Jiujitu Championship tournament because Gerson was competing in it and he wanted his win back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbSQFvZRa9M

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Wes Swafford, for kneeing a man in the balls and then, as soon as he's recovered and clinched with you, going for an uchi-mata, I salute you. That's an inventiveness in dickery that Cheick Kongo wishes he had thought of.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Big Bidness posted:

At Fight UK Nathias Frederick knocked a guy out and wouldn't stop hitting him, so the ref Leon Roberts took his back and put him in a quick RNC. Go to 6:31.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGOsM9UM-GU

You can actually link directly to times in youtube videos, like this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGOsM9UM-GU#t=6m31s

So if you put it in video tags, you get an embedded video that goes directly to the correct time when you hit play -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGOsM9UM-GU&t=391s

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Has someone linked this in here yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4awSmJfuhbU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

individual865 posted:

B-League Update!

FRIDAY 5/16/14

7PM EDT - TitanFC 28: Brilz Vs Davis: Prelims on https://cbssports.com, Main on CBS Sports channel.

Also, if you're in the mood to actually pay for mma, Ring Of Combat 48 is streaming on gofightlive -

http://www.gfl.tv/event/Fight/MMA/Ring-of-Combat-XLVIII/2310

I pimp ROC a lot because it's the premiere Jersey local show at this point, they pay really well and they have a policy of releasing anybody on their roster that gets a UFC callup, so a ton of guys wind up going through ROC on their way to or from the UFC. Weidman, Uriah Hall, Frankie Edgar, the Miller brothers, Edson Barboza, Matt Serra, Constantinos Phillipou, and even Koschek all went through Ring of Combat before hitting the UFC.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

StephanBonnar posted:

Herman is only 8 lbs heavier than @kalibstarnes after dropping 20+ lbs building his farm & not training mma

Dave Herman, ladies and gents

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Ring of Combat was a pretty good show tonight, but possibly the best part is that fully half the fighters were sponsored by pizzarias

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

mike_hackler posted:

Mirko CroCop meets Satoshi Ishii in Inoki Genome Fight this summer.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

I love that because it is in IGF I have no clue if it will be a work or not. I imagine it won't be.

I was honestly kind of conflicted regarding whether to post it in here or go see if there's a general puroresu thread

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

My favorite Rumina Sato anecdote is after getting his first professional loss against Joel Gerson, he flew to Canada specifically and solely for the purpose of entering the Canadian Jiujitu Championship tournament because Gerson was competing in it and he wanted his win back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbSQFvZRa9M

Forgot I had this - highlight of Sato's run thought the whole tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlPi9hpnlGU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

coconono posted:

for a second there, I thought you meant Mark Hamill and I got really excited because Team Jedi might win fights now.

Hamill/Pellegrino is the match to make

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuriy posted:

Ya but the problem is that wmma is rarely above the skill level of a World Star vid

Have you watched an mma heavyweight match recently

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
It's going to take a long time for the level of wmma to rise to mmma simply because while nobody is exactly encouraged to pick punching people in a cage for money as their career in today's society, women are way more discouraged from doing so, so the talent pool is always going to be significantly smaller. That said, if you watch a couple Invictas you'll see it's already come a lot further a lot faster than I or most people thought it was going to.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

willie_dee posted:

Have you ever been knee barred by the best wrestler in your country

I'm visiting Ireland in the fall so I may actually briefly be the best wrestler in a country

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Josh Gross posted:

I'm told former Pride and DSE boss Nobuyuki Sakakibara is considering reentering MMA by NYE. His 7-year non-compete with Zuffa ended in May.

Is this going to be another sad deflating balloon, or a glorious trainwreck?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Things that are irrefutably stupid

Your posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Is Egyptian Top Team like, an actual thing