Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I finished this chef knife today, and I'll be giving it to the person I made it for tomorrow.

Hand-forged 80crv2 with a hidden tang. Handle is made from an aluminum-bronze bolster, g10 spacer, and stabilized black ash burl. 8.5" blade length, 155g final weight.

It really glows in the sunshine:

I like giving care instructions and an info sheet with my knives:

I'm really happy with how it turned out. I was using this knife as a practice bed for techniques I learned from my mentor, but needed to modify for the more limited equipment I have at my shared shop with my friend. I'll be using those techniques for the next several knives I'm working on, including two San Mai chef knives (440C/1084)

I wish I could take better pictures of it but I need to buy a lightbox and all that.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
That is absolutely stunning, Kenshin. How much would you charge for one like that normally?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

DogoDogo posted:

That is absolutely stunning, Kenshin. How much would you charge for one like that normally?
I haven't sold any knives, I give them all to friends and family.

But based on my understanding of what knives of this kind tend to go for and the level of quality I am making them at (and the amount of time, equipment, and techniques it takes) this is probably something that most knifemakers would price at around $400-600

EDIT: I took it into a knife sharpening shop to buy a case for it and the guy there (who I know and have taken a sharpening class from) said that from what he could tell ~$500 is just about right for this knife. He was also blown away that this was only my 8th chef knife, said he can't wait to see what my 15th one looks like.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 18, 2020

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

Kenshin posted:

I haven't sold any knives, I give them all to friends and family.

But based on my understanding of what knives of this kind tend to go for and the level of quality I am making them at (and the amount of time, equipment, and techniques it takes) this is probably something that most knifemakers would price at around $400-600

Well, it’s gorgeous and you are VERY generous.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I've offered a bunch of friends free knives with the caveat that they're not gonna be the best thing in the world, letting them know it's primarily for practice in knife making itself. I've got about 5 knives worth of 1075 to build with for myself but theirs will primarily be stainless steel as I know some of them won't care for them the way a carbon steel knife would need

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I don't make knives (although I will at some point). I make jewelry, primarily silver, and also don't really sell it. I make stuff and give it to close friends and family as gifts. I have sold some stuff in the past and am sure I will in the future, but I always end up in a different mindset when making stuff to sell and that mindset somehow takes away from the enjoyment of the hobby.

Stuff like this, for reference:

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
Made this one as my first commission and first ever chef's knife, i really liked making this and plan to do more.
blade is 15n20 and 1085
bolster is 15n20 handle is malachite

r00tn00b fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 1, 2020

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

McSpergin posted:

I've offered a bunch of friends free knives with the caveat that they're not gonna be the best thing in the world, letting them know it's primarily for practice in knife making itself. I've got about 5 knives worth of 1075 to build with for myself but theirs will primarily be stainless steel as I know some of them won't care for them the way a carbon steel knife would need

Are you going to be heat treating them yourself, or sending them somewhere?

Somebody gave me an unfinished sword of unknown damascus the other day, so uh...

The guy said he was gifted it to finish probably when he was 12, so like 20 years ago, and didn't really know anything else about it. I do have to wonder who the gently caress was selling such asymmetrical crap 20 years ago, and what kind of heat treat was done on it at the time. It may not be clear in the picture, but the transition from blade to tang is awful, and the pattern is extremely basic, and it doesn't even really represent any historical sword designs that I can think of. It just seems like an all around half-assed job, and it kinda irritates me that I'm now sorta expected to turn this into something other than a completely worthless slab of steel.

Also, please ignore the dishwasher sticking out at the bottom...we still haven't gotten that issue fully resolved after loving months of back and forth. I normally love costco, but their appliance service is leaving so loving much to be desired

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

BLARGHLE posted:

Somebody gave me an unfinished sword of unknown damascus the other day, so uh...

The guy said he was gifted it to finish probably when he was 12, so like 20 years ago, and didn't really know anything else about it. I do have to wonder who the gently caress was selling such asymmetrical crap 20 years ago, and what kind of heat treat was done on it at the time. It may not be clear in the picture, but the transition from blade to tang is awful, and the pattern is extremely basic, and it doesn't even really represent any historical sword designs that I can think of. It just seems like an all around half-assed job, and it kinda irritates me that I'm now sorta expected to turn this into something other than a completely worthless slab of steel.

Also, please ignore the dishwasher sticking out at the bottom...we still haven't gotten that issue fully resolved after loving months of back and forth. I normally love costco, but their appliance service is leaving so loving much to be desired
Honestly it's fairly unlikely it was heat treated in that state.

TBH it looks completely salvageable. It's so thick! Put it through a few normalizing cycles, then forge it out to a bit better of a shape, normalize it again, heat treat and temper, grind it up, and you've got a sword blade!

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Kenshin posted:

Honestly it's fairly unlikely it was heat treated in that state.

TBH it looks completely salvageable. It's so thick! Put it through a few normalizing cycles, then forge it out to a bit better of a shape, normalize it again, heat treat and temper, grind it up, and you've got a sword blade!

Yeah, that's probably what I'm going to end up doing. I'm just irritated by its very existence, and the fact that some dupe (specifically an apparently clueless stepdad) paid money for it.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

BLARGHLE posted:

There's a few local guys in the knife making community here in Sydney that have Paragon ovens that I've reached out to, basically just to stick my knives in with theirs during a heat treat. Alternatively there's a few places around that do it for about $10/knife for people like me

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

84 Engineering Shop-Mate 48, 2x48. Waiting for the motor (1.1kw/1.5hp) and VFD to show up as well as the cable for it all and then I'll have to go get some belts. Then to finally finish the 5 knives I've got in front of me and finish restoring my grandfather's axe!

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Also I need to fabricate a basic base for it but I already have something in mind

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Update:

Motor was missed but conveniently one of the sales reps at the store that I got the grinder from lives barely 600 metres from me as the crow flies (the odds of that in Sydney are slim to nil, so it's a welcome win!), So he's going to drop it off after work

I ordered some belts as well, so I've come to the thread for some guidance on whether this should be a good basis for a regular stock of belts to keep on hand

2x48":
50 grit ceramic
120 grit ceramic
220 grit ceramic
400 grit ceramic
500 grit finishing
50 grit zirconia (handles)
120 grit zirconia (also for handles)

1x48" (scalloped edge belts)
120 grit
220 grit
320 grit
400 grit

I did want to get a cork belt that is around 600 grit but they were out of stock so I figured I'd grab some polishing compound and some scourer pads and some 1000 grit wet and dry and do the last bits by hand.

I've got a mostly free weekend so with any luck I'll have it all sorted out and can get a good bit of work done! I've got some African wenge and some Australian native timbers I can use to make handles

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
50 grit is a bit high for your lowest. If you can get 36 or 40 grit that is a lot better for removing lots of material.

400 and 500 grits are very, very high for machine belts. You can do good stuff with those and cut down on the amount of hand sanding you'll need to do, but I don't know how much you'll actually go through those belts. I rarely go above 220 on the belts on my 2x72 grinder--I have a few Trizact finishing belts I just got recently to try out but have hardly used them at all yet.

For reference, the belts I try and keep around are 36, 60, 80, 120, and 220. I almost entirely use ceramic but have some AO belts as well if I need to do a lot of work on wood.

Content:
I made a magnetic knife display holder yesterday. Just a prototype that I learned a bunch from making, but I think it came out really well:

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 22, 2020

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

did you make that damascus, cause drat

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

did you make that damascus, cause drat
Yeah, that was from my class this past January--there are more pictures of that knife a page or two back :)

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Kenshin posted:

50 grit is a bit high for your lowest. If you can get 36 or 40 grit that is a lot better for removing lots of material.

I have a few Trizact finishing belts

For reference, the belts I try and keep around are 36, 60, 80, 120, and 220. I almost entirely use ceramic but have some AO belts as well if I need to do a lot of work on wood.

Thanks :D keep us posted on the Trizact as well, I know Alec Steele uses them a bit and they look interesting. The high grit stuff is mostly just to cut a bit back on hand sanding as you mentioned. I still want to grab a bench grinder (I bought a Ryobi drill press the other day because I have use for it beyond knife making) but grab buffing discs for it.

I got the grinder all wired up and built last night, and it runs fantastically well. The guys at 84 Engineering have definitely thought of it all, it has a depth adjustability in the tension wheel to get the belts tracking square as well in case other parts aren't properly square. My only complaint was they used L-handles for all the other bits like the tool arm and platen arm and rotating part, and they often collide. Nothing a hit with the angle grinder can't fix but.

Next step: ask the guy from the distributor who lives near me to use his Paragon oven and if he has the strap on surface grinder from 84 Engineering, to get these bits of steel nice and flat!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I just recently started renting my own workspace, and I got things set up.

WEN desktop variable speed drill press and the new OBM Dominator tilting 2x72' grinder

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hello knife makers! DIY Secret Santa signups are open!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941260

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Rough shaping on 5 knives is about 90% done, I just need to tidy up a few bits and get some Dremel work done around the transitional curves in the blade corners. All at 60 grit at the moment.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 16, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Link's broken.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

AFewBricksShy posted:

Link's broken.

Formatting must have gotten broken when I copy pasted it-thanks! Here is the correct link and ti is stickied:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Here's what's on my work table as of this afternoon:

L-R:
steak knife for myself (didn't put tons of effort into refinement, there's a few rough spots)
hunting knife for a friend
chief knives

the two on the left just need sharpening, the two on the right are sitting in a coffee etch overnight

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kenshin posted:

I really like the handle on the first one.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Kenshin posted:

L-R:
steak knife for myself (didn't put tons of effort into refinement, there's a few rough spots)
chief knives

the two on the left just need sharpening, the two on the right are sitting in a coffee etch overnight

Nice!

I found a local supplier near me sells pre-shaped knives which is kinda handy but what I did find that I bought was a pre-shaped, just add handle cheese knife. Gonna dip into the local timber yard on the way home from gf's house and look at serving board sized timber slabs and make a handle with offcuts for it. Christmas present for parents done

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Kenshin posted:

L-R:
chief knives

Also I am extremely about those hamons on the chef knives

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Kenshin posted:

L-R:
chief knives

Digging it all, esp that brass bolster. Is it a solid piece you drilled through for the tang or did you fold it over, glorious Nippon katana-style?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

McSpergin posted:

Also I am extremely about those hamons on the chef knives
Not hamons! Those are both from a billet of San Mai I purchased from Gambler Custom earlier this year. 410ss/1084

Trabant posted:

Digging it all, esp that brass bolster. Is it a solid piece you drilled through for the tang or did you fold it over, glorious Nippon katana-style?
Solid piece. It's the third one I've done in this style, I keep getting better (though this one has a tiny flaw one side). This is my first finger-guard rather than just bolster.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Kenshin posted:

Not hamons! Those are both from a billet of San Mai I purchased from Gambler Custom earlier this year. 410ss/1084

Solid piece. It's the third one I've done in this style, I keep getting better (though this one has a tiny flaw one side). This is my first finger-guard rather than just bolster.

Ohhhh right :D looks cool as hell though!!

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Been super busy on some projects
5 1075 knives for mostly myself
A 12C27 hunter for a friend
2 12C27 paring knives for my sister and friend
A stainless (not sure on grade, was a "byo handle" kit) cheese knife for my parents Christmas present with a serving board
And a couple kiridashi, one for me and one for goon secret Santa in 12C27

Also restoring my grandpa's old axe, it's a Keesteel 3.5 lb head that I'm polishing up then throwing a new handle into

I'll post photos when I get my phone back from a warranty issue
(Don't buy pixels)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Nice!

I just finished up the first of the two San Mai chef knives and gave it to the friend it was going to last night. Another friend did product photography on it and I should get those pictures back today and I'll post 'em.

I'm also working up on finishing up the second one of the two san mai chef knives, as well as a chef knife and a santoku in 80crv2.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

poo poo yeah, waiting for those pictures.

I designed a Kiridashi today for the goon secret Santa so it'll be a good use of the last chunk of 12C27 that I have hanging about. I got some nice pieces of Camphor Laurel offcuts from a serving board that are perfect for a small handle

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Here we go:

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Kenshin posted:

Here we go:

Whoa! What's the wooden looking thing on the left? They're both gorgeous

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

McSpergin posted:

Whoa! What's the wooden looking thing on the left? They're both gorgeous

Ceramic honing rod, just a reddish natural ceramic clay

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Neat! I finished polishing up the axe I'm restoring today, no good photos yet (stuck with a lovely phone while waiting for some repairs on mine to get sorted out) but it's almost a mirror finish

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I was subjected to this, so must you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0SQ88bAjto

Behold this chemistry nerd's amazing file skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Saw it a couple days ago, i spent most of the video screaming for various reasons. My fiancee was less than enthused.