Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello Hobbyists and Crafters of all sorts! Our friends from Creative Convention are visiting with their Travelling Showcase of Wonders and they want to see all the cool and fantastic things you've been working on! Go show them off and admire the handiwork of other talented goons!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946255

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Has anyone made a filet knife before? Seems like getting it thin enough to flex would be tough

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Ok, here's my latest. Billet-twin of the previous one.

7.5" san mai gyuto

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Picked this lil' fella up today

I'll have to wire it up to a PID, but I'm hoping this will mean I can branch out into fancier materials - hopefully stainless.

trufflefoo
Oct 29, 2006
Is there an option for a belt grinder at around £200 (UK)?
I don’t have the budget, space, or time to dedicate to knives to justify a 2x72 fancy thing, but currently only have a combo 4” belt sander thing, so would like a bit of an upgrade.

I appreciate such a machine will be limited, and that’s fine. I’ve made 3 knives in the past and it’s fun, but not something I’ll take super seriously.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

you can get a 1x30 for very much cheaper than that

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah, a new knifemaking technique. Can't wait to give this a shot!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZchgU9KLOc&t=28s

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I completed another knife recently, a 6" santoku. 80crv2 with dyed/stabilized amboyna burl scales and G10 liners with stainless pins.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Kenshin posted:

I completed another knife recently, a 6" santoku. 80crv2 with dyed/stabilized amboyna burl scales and G10 liners with stainless pins.

That's nice, what are you using to etch your touch mark?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

McSpergin posted:

That's nice, what are you using to etch your touch mark?

A Martronics Etch-o-Matic: https://www.martronics-corporation.com/

It works pretty well, but it's kinda low power. I've seen other smiths use home-built versions with significantly more power that etch deeper, faster.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Kenshin posted:

It works pretty well, but it's kinda low power. I've seen other smiths use home-built versions with significantly more power that etch deeper, faster.

That thing looks pretty involved... I was thinking of having someone make me a stencil and then just hooking some leads up to a random power supply and doing that salt water method.

(where do I get the stencil made?)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

That thing looks pretty involved... I was thinking of having someone make me a stencil and then just hooking some leads up to a random power supply and doing that salt water method.

(where do I get the stencil made?)

Martronics will also make the stencil for you, given a black & white image of the page size they will do.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

trufflefoo posted:

Is there an option for a belt grinder at around £200 (UK)?
I don’t have the budget, space, or time to dedicate to knives to justify a 2x72 fancy thing, but currently only have a combo 4” belt sander thing, so would like a bit of an upgrade.

I appreciate such a machine will be limited, and that’s fine. I’ve made 3 knives in the past and it’s fun, but not something I’ll take super seriously.

To follow up on Ghostnuke's comment, this just popped up in my recommendations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDdBpMaG2TE

Granted, it's sponsored by one of the Canadian equivalents of Harbor Freight, but the tool itself is a no-name generic 1x30.

Conclusion: yes, you can make very decent knives on them. I just imagine you'll have to go slow and get some decent belts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kenshin posted:

This website is absolutely amazing

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hello irritating knife makers, I got this in the excellent DIY secret santa

And I'm excited to start making it!

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Hello irritating knife makers, I got this in the excellent DIY secret santa

And I'm excited to start making it!

I'm keen to see how this turns out! I debated between a few of Bjorn's kits and liked this one. He's good to deal with too, and quick for postage etc.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I have an issue with a kukri that I'm trying to figure out how to fix. It's from Himalayan Imports, one of the daily specials that they post on their forum. The issue is with the handle of the knife. There's a steel plate on the butt of the handle that has worked loose and I'm trying to figure out the best, least potentially destructive way to tighten it up. With the plate loose the handle is beginning to chip, and I don't want it to chip any further.

It looks like the knife has a through tang, which passes through the steel butt plate and another decorative element before it's peened over the decorative bit. My guess is that this is something that I fix by heating up the end of the tang and peening it a little bit more, but frankly I'm scared to do that because I don't want to get the tang too hot and hurt the handle, or damage the decorative bit on the butt cap. I'm also not sure that just peening the tang would provide quite enough pressure to hold down the very edge of the butt cap - it's pretty big.

The only other thing I can think of would be to try to add some kind of epoxy but even though the butt cap moves around a little bit, there's not a whole lot of gap to try to fit some epoxy into.

This is what it looks like - the first picture shows the butt cap in place, the second shows how much wiggle room there is. Only the butt cap moves - the diamond bit in the middle seems fixed to the tang and stays put. Any thoughts on how to tighten this up?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I know there isn't much room, but yes, epoxy between the cap and the wood is the correct answer.

If you're really set on peening it further you will need to set it up in a vice with copper or aluminum sheets on each side in contact with sides of the steel butt cap. Then use the smallest torch possible to heat the end of the tang up where you need to peen it down.

The copper/aluminum is there to act as a heatsink and pull heat out of the steel away from the wood handle, but you'll probably still end up scorching the inside a little, which should be ok.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 23, 2021

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I would go with an epoxy too (maybe through a syringe?) but you might also want to ask in the metalwork thread.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Sounds like epoxy is the move, thanks guys. I really didn't want to have to try to peen the thing - I have a little bit of experience moving metal around, but it's sounding like my fears were well founded and that's way above my pay grade. I'll do a little more research and try to get some epoxy through a syringe into the void between the cap and the handle.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Seconding epoxy, preferably a two part like blade bond.

I got my first set of knives heat treated, they were supposed to be done before Xmas so I could take some with me up to give to friends and family for Christmas presents but the guy doing the heat treatment just had no luck getting them done.

Top to bottom: EDC knife for a friend who did a bunch of work cleaning up some cutting boards for me
Kiridashi
Paring knife for my sister and paring knife for a friend who wanted one with a smaller handle, similar to a Laguiole knife

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
You don't have to torch the tang to peen it. It should have been heated to be annealed before it was peened to begin with. Lots of small taps is all it takes

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
I am toying around with Resin Pours to handle my knife. This is my first attempt, It is not perfect but is actually very nice to use.
e: This is an 80crv2 blade, the blade shape and handle placement are a new try as well. I took it pretty thin so far as to give the first inch or so a good bit of flex.

https://i.imgur.com/SmfptmO.mp4

r00tn00b fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 11, 2021

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Ooooh, nice. Been wanting to do something similar for a filet knife.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I finally got around to finishing the first of four knives I'm working on!

12C27 blade, hardness tested at 63-64 HRC, bronze pins, red mallee burl handle with a 1mm black G10 spacer

Handle was done with two coats of Danish oil, a light scuff to take the surface coat off then some renwax to seal it all in. The shiny bit of the blade is at 8000 grit.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Also yes, the pin position at the back was not intentional lmao

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Bought 10 pieces of 1/8" thick 1095 flat bar for $40. Gave a few pieces to my coworkers and I'm messing with the rest.

I did the full flat grind with an angle grinder very carefully cause I don't have access to a big boy belt grinder.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hi Knife Thread. I finally have a proper garage and am settled in to tackle some projects. I do metalworking stuff professionally but it is zero creativity stuff (machine shop). So I've decided to make a few knives.

That's my metal casting bucket, worked well enough for HT.

In action with a 2nd knife.

Going to dig into finishing up the steel work this weekend.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Does anyone have a preferred abrasive? I've been really liking the Klingspor reaper series as well as Norton blaze. Been getting really good life from the blaze belts I've been using on N690

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I use Norton Blaze Orange for steel, Blaze Blue for wood and soft metals.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Little scrap knife I made for use in the garden. Great for cleanly cutting off leaves on greens etc and my partner loves it. 12C27 with silky oak handle and canvas micarta pins. The grinder slip marks come free

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That's an elegant shape and the handle is giving me Laguiole vibes.

mjan
Jan 30, 2007

McSpergin posted:

Does anyone have a preferred abrasive? I've been really liking the Klingspor reaper series as well as Norton blaze. Been getting really good life from the blaze belts I've been using on N690

I've found 3M Cubitron II to last much longer than Norton Blaze, at least for the 50 grit belts I use for heavy grinding.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

mjan posted:

I've found 3M Cubitron II to last much longer than Norton Blaze, at least for the 50 grit belts I use for heavy grinding.

We use the Cubitron II's in a ridiculous quantity (automated industrial belt grinder) and they've outperformed every single other coated abrasive we've found. Our materials are steels, 50-60 Hrc, removing about .020" in half a second. When abrasives salespeople come in and try to get us to switch we just tell them we're using Cubitron II and they just shrug and say they can't touch it.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

mjan posted:

I work in a heavy steel fab welding shop and we love the Cubitron II sanding discs. They are so aggressive compared to other brands at the same grit. We grind on some machined surfaces after repairing weld defects and the Cubitron 120 grit discs are almost too aggressive. Only people with really steady hands are allowed to do it.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Trabant posted:

That's an elegant shape and the handle is giving me Laguiole vibes.

I traced a Laguiole as the handle, good spot

Re: belt chat, that is quite interesting. I've been getting good life from my blaze belts and the reaper belts are reasonable. I've been using 24's for profiling which scare me to death lol.

My local knife supply store is doing a bulk buy on Klingspor at the moment, 50% off packs of 12 belts.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Knife adjacent:

Last lot of laser cutting I got done, I did a few of these earring scaled ones to see how they look. Next time I'll probably do a 1/16" hole rather than 1/8 but otherwise with a bit of polymer clay on the handles they came up alright. They're on a hook style hanger with an 8mm ring through them (no pics as finished because I am rushing around madly at 10pm packing for flights interstate at 10am

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Sorry to Kramer into your thread but I figured you’d be the right people to ask.

What’s the easiest way to reattach the (scales?) to some knives that will endure dishwashing?

I bought a henchel knife set around 1995 and they’re coming apart. I’d rather not replace them since it’s just the handles the steel is still just as good so it’s a wate to replace them. I’ve tried boat epoxy and polyurethane (gorilla) glue and both only last a few months of daily washing.

The original rivets have failed. The hole through the tangs are just under 4mm. The corresponding holes in the handles have a 7mm shoulder.

I’ll take any advice. Thanks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Don't put your knives through the dishwasher.

You can't fix that without putting new pins in and using some sort of epoxy, but even if you do, the dishwashing will continue to destroy the handle scales. I'm betting that knife isn't very sharp, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
If you dont have the time or tools to drill out the rivets and replace them, you can significantly rough up the mating surfaces to increase their surface area which will help make the epoxy bond stronger.

Best long term solution would be to drill out the pins and epoxy those into the handle material at the same time you attach the handles back onto the knife.

Edit: You may be able to replace the pins with chicago screws but honestly id say just buy a new knife if you dont have much experience.

Ziggy Smalls fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 31, 2022