Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This thread was started by a Dane (RIP Niels).

Everything is a bottle opener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
More knife

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Now that just looks comfy.

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Here is one more i just did. Sorry I'm too lazy to get out the good camera. I have not been working on any lately as its hot as balls in my garage during the summer.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

This is a very cool thread. Is there a general knife thread on the forums? I just got into knives and now have 9 all of the sudden and am teaching myself to not be poo poo at sharpening with a 5 stone sharpening kit and I just got a strope today. I would love to get into making them and it will probably happen at some point. I have trying to keep the purchases under 50 bucks but just opened the floodgates today and got a Spyderco PM2 so yeah let's see how fast I go broke buying knives for no reason.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

rio posted:

This is a very cool thread. Is there a general knife thread on the forums? I just got into knives and now have 9 all of the sudden and am teaching myself to not be poo poo at sharpening with a 5 stone sharpening kit and I just got a strope today. I would love to get into making them and it will probably happen at some point. I have trying to keep the purchases under 50 bucks but just opened the floodgates today and got a Spyderco PM2 so yeah let's see how fast I go broke buying knives for no reason.

TFR has a knife thread.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thanks! I'll keep lurking here until I am cool enough to participate and check out the other thread. Didn't think to look there.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Two more knives!

This first one was a commission from a friend. The scales are Osage Orange.
He wanted me to make a Karambit but those are only good for gutting things. We compromised with the ring.

This second one is a gift for my electrician brother! The scales are Ipe.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Those are very cool! Are your pins stainless steel or something else?

(I had to give up on the hobby, but still check the thread and fantasize about coming back to it)

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Trabant posted:

Those are very cool! Are your pins stainless steel or something else?

(I had to give up on the hobby, but still check the thread and fantasize about coming back to it)

Yeah 1/4" stainless

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Bought a couple of kits from knifekits, gonna build a trapper for myself and a Languille for my former roommate who's wanted one for ages and make the handle scales for the latter from the tree that could've killed him (it fell on the house, the ceiling landed in his bed, luckily he'd stayed up later than planned talking to a friend about anime.) Considering buying a cheap circular-saw blade and making my own blades for 'em as well.

So tomorrow I go to Horror Fright and buy a bunch of tools. I need a bandsaw (in general), a belt sander, and a bench grinder. Anything else essential to turning a saw blade or truck spring into a knife?

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
A good set of files. If you going to be cutting out blanks an angle grinder would be helpful as well. A good set of drill bits for the handle pins also helps. Drilling holes in steel that's already hardened sucks rear end. Don't forget a poo poo ton of sandpaper in a bunch of grits.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

mattwhoo posted:

A good set of files. If you going to be cutting out blanks an angle grinder would be helpful as well. A good set of drill bits for the handle pins also helps. Drilling holes in steel that's already hardened sucks rear end. Don't forget a poo poo ton of sandpaper in a bunch of grits.
ooh, yeah, files, I just have the big ol' mill bastard and a chainsaw-sharpening kit. I'm set on grinders and drill bits (hence the "in general" for the bandsaw -- would be useful for my welding hobby). Could use more sandpaper, I have a pack of 400-600-800 somewhere, but not sure where it is now.

It also just occurred to me that more Dremel bits would be good.

Good thing I get another paycheck before the bills are due. :v:

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
I would really skip the harbor freight belt sander and go with something like this belt grinder you could also skip the bench grinder. I have one of these and it works well. Also for the rough grit belts don't cheep out, get the ceramic ones they cost more but last a lot longer.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
A drill press and vise could be extremely useful in drilling the tang and scales for your pins (if you plan on using them). You might be able to pull it off with a handheld drill, but getting them nice straight... it's tricky.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
And don't buy sandpaper from HF. Their paper is so lovely that it will actually be cheaper to go buy good quality sandpaper, 3M, Norton, Klingspor; there are others but those are commonly available.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

wormil posted:

And don't buy sandpaper from HF.
Oh yeah, I don't skimp on sandpaper. I DO, however, forget to pick some up while I'm at Home Depot this morning. :facepalm:

mattwhoo posted:

I would really skip the harbor freight belt sander and go with something like this belt grinder
That's the sort of thing I was thinking of, just at a more affordable price point. Turns out HF doesn't have that style.

Trabant posted:

A drill press and vise could be extremely useful in drilling the tang and scales for your pins (if you plan on using them). You might be able to pull it off with a handheld drill, but getting them nice straight... it's tricky.
The kits I got appear to be predrilled, but that's good advice, especially since I plan on making my own scales. I have a teensy lil' drill press -- the drive belt is a 3" O-ring. :3: Really should get a vise to put under it, though.

Didn't end up getting the bandsaw, got the biggest Li-ion battery they make for my cordless tools (including a recip saw) instead :getin: (I've been using the original set of NiCd packs that came with the kit, had to charge them right before use and they didn't last long). Dammit, I actually looked over the tool display to see if there was anything else in the system I need/want, completely forgot the death wheel. Never got one before because of aforementioned battery crappiness.

Did get a set of files and a big ol' kit of Dremel accessories at HF, though. And an auto-darkening welding mask, which was probably a bad idea. :v:

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
You will more then likely outgrow that belt grinder really really fast plus it's only 1" wide belt. The one I linked is a 2" wide belt. I would be more simmular to the big boy 2 * 72" grinders. I know it's a bit more money but would serve you a lot better in the long run. But trust me I understand to budget concerns I really really want a heat treat oven. One day!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

mattwhoo posted:

You will more then likely outgrow that belt grinder really really fast plus it's only 1" wide belt. The one I linked is a 2" wide belt ... I understand to budget concerns
Yeah, I'd pay maybe $150 for a 2" belt, but that market segment doesn't seem to exist, and I won't use it enough to justify $400 anytime soon. Besides, I figure by the time I can justify the $400 one, I won't feel bad giving away the $80 one I've got some use out of for the price of shipping to a deserving person starting out/donating it to the local women's shelter's thrift store/selling it for $20 on Craigslist. I understand the logic of "buy quality once," but I think "buy a stopgap and pay it forward when you can afford quality" has merit too. Currently rocking a Chicago angle grinder for cutting duty (the slightly smaller Makita dedicated to grinding was a gift). The HF one was $20, and has lasted several years, and if/when it does crap out, I can replace it three times before I get to the price of the "real" brands.

And yeah, I got the HF cutting wheels, but I smoke, and I usually wear a gas mask with N95 or P100 filters for grinding (don't put it on for a single cut, but if I'm doing any serious grinding/cutting I do, because even using the non-Chinesium wheels makes for an unpleasant next day what with the black snot and all.)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've looked at kits and then I look at inexpensive knives and realize it would be cheaper to buy an inexpensive knife and replace the handles. And would probably be the same quality at the kit.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
My knives have arrives. I am rife with knife.

When I showed them to my parents, Mom suggested I "should use some of the black walnut in the shed" for the handles. Which her grandfather (or maybe great-grandfather) who owned a sawmill sawed in to boards (and presumably kept a few from a customer's job as payment) around the turn of the last century or earlier. At least one of my knives is about to get a whole lot fancier. :D Good thing I bought a respirator for a previous project, black walnut's the one that's bad for you, right?

wormil posted:

cheaper to buy an inexpensive knife and replace the handles. And would probably be the same quality at the kit.
Came out pretty even in my case, and it's more for the tinkering than anything.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
First one in progress. This crap is harder than all you a-holes made it look:

1095 steel, the handle is black/green G10 sheet, which looks a lot more like a pickle than I anticipated. Still needs to be tempered and have final sanding done, also gonna rub in a thin layer of epoxy to seal the handles. Trying to sort out kydex holster making- I have the supplies except for rivets and it seems hard to find a cheap way to set rivets. If it finishes out well this will be a gift for one of my boys, and I'll dry-moly the blade so I can laser engrave his initials on it.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Decided to be a little more ambitious with this one and did some hand forging.

This khukri is made from a car leaf spring which means its probably 5160 steel.

It measures 14 inches long from heel to tip and the scales are made from Ipe

mattwhoo
Aug 26, 2009
Looking good guys. I have been super slacking lately. I got one that just needs a handle. I will post some pics when I stop being lazy.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Working on a small one using primarily angle grinder and dremel instead of hours of filing and sanding. I am gonna cover up my lovely job by scalloping the surface so it looks cool. :thumbsup:

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Just about dun.

Oh poo poo it glows in the dark whaaaat

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Interesting small kukri, I really dig the handle.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Slick! Is the glow-in-the-dark effect a combination of resin and photoluminescent dye?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Thanks. That’s the idea, I used glow pigment powder mixed in with the epoxy.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
One of the folders finished, the other one (not pictured) has the scales on awaiting final shaping/grinding down the pins, and I've cut off a block to make the scales for the sheath knife. (My parents have all the woodworking tools, and I don't get a chance to go over that often.)

One side I got on the first try, the other split and had to be started over three or four times when I tried to put the spring pin through, I went through so many blanks I had to go and cut another piece off the board to make more. And then the final one, seen here, had a crack halfway through that looked like it would sand out, but obviously didn't. But gently caress making ANOTHER one. So I mixed some wood glue with the dust from sanding it, and smeared it on to fill the crack, then wiped/sanded off the excess. It seems to have worked.

Now to put a couple coats of Danish oil on and buff the poo poo out of it. (My brother who lives with our parents builds bows and refinishes gun stocks, so he has all the wood-finishing oils on hand.)

Edit after the second coat of oil: Ooh, shiny.

This is exactly the look I was hoping for.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 24, 2017

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Thought you gys wold get a kick out of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITKTA2quDv8

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Yes. That's rad.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So I've got a bigass hss sawblade surplus, the kind you can resharpen meaning it's hardened all the way through, am I right in thinking as long as I don't get it hot I can make a half-decent blade out of this? I mean it's literally resharpening into a new shape right? :haw:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah. Being HSS it'll maintain temper at higher temps. When I cut hardened steel, I let water trickle over it. Good luck drilling holes though.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

god drat you goons are talented motherfuckers - I'm really jealous

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLnqr6IGVgs

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I like how he pretends to measure the handle as if he hasn't made a million of those things. They make it look so easy, but are geared up and experienced at doing just that. Probably a $500 knife these days.

Totally off the subject but if you like Northmen stuff, Netflix has a 6 hour documentary about Norwegians chopping, stacking, and burning firewood. It's called National Firewood Night.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Hey, do you want to make a knife? A one piece knife? Have no metalworking skills? No worries, friends!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKH63_r0OCA

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Wow, I was going to say “man the bark handle is amazing” “the engraving is amazing” “the leatherwork is amazing” but at the end I am just so amazed by every part of that. So cool. Thanks for the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I figure this is the place to ask this: are Ka-bar Becker knives considered top-of-the-line? I'm considering getting a BK7 or BK9 to throw in an emergency bag, acknowledging that I'll have to buy replacement bolts/screws.