Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

Beardless posted:

I just found out that I'll be getting a propane blow-torch for free in about a month. Some quick googling tells me that I'll need to build a forge in order to do any real blacksmithing. Have any of you guys done that kind of thing, or should I check out the blacksmithing thread?

2nding the blacksmithing/metalworking thread. We talk shop about general blacksmithing including forge design and setup there. Two good web resources for blacksmithing (generalized, not bladesmithing specific) would be anvilfire.com and iforgeiron.com

edit:

A propane blowtorch is also terrible for anything short of a coffee can/firebrick blade furnace which isn't suitable for wholesale blacksmithing. You can build a charcoal/coal forge for about $25 if you have access to a welder or somebody who can do welding, just from visiting an auto junkyard. (google brake drum forge for a zillion different plans).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

Tumbleweed Chingada posted:

When it comes to bladesmithing, if I start with blade quality steel, then I don't have to do any heat treating right? The steel just needs to be shaped and sharpened, yeah?

Unless you do 100% of your sharpening with a file, you're going to need to heat treat it, because any mechanical processor that uses a high speed (sanding belt, grinder, etc) will create latent heat in the blade, changing the hardness at various points in the blade.

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

wormil posted:

Thanks. 5 minute, Loctite brand I think. I use it almost everyday in the kitchen, it's become my favorite knife.

Saw blades that are high carbon the whole way through and not just the teeth (or are really mild steel with cemented carbide teeth) make absurdly good knifes. My first ever attempt was one I cut out of a 6" saw blade and welded a little extra sawblade bit to the tang long before I know anything about anything. I've worked on it for a couple years off and on sanding and filing it down by hand with sand paper and files (since I don't own a belt sander and my skill with sanding on an angle grinder is somewhat... lacking.) and it's got an edge that I managed to cleave my thumb down the middle with once. One day I'll finish it and have to figure out what to do for a handle. Maybe some antler or bone since I have a ton of that stuff laying around.