Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I dunno if this is the right place to ask this, but I am building a small belt grinder that will use 2x36" sanding belts. I intend to use it to sharpen chisels, plane irons and knives. It'll be a home built contraption like a wooden harbor freight lookalike. My question is where do I want to go slow and where do I want to go fast?

It seems like those that have bigger grinders like 2x72", prefer really fast speeds like 6000 SFM, I assume it's because it hogs of more metal faster and zirconium belts work better at higher speeds unlike AO ones. On the other side there's machines like the sorby pro edge which has a very slow speed like 700 sfm. What gives, why are so many people saying go for speed, but one of the pro sharpening tools on the market goes slow?

Is that just because it's for sharpening and doesn't need to remove as much material as other metal shaping operations, or is there more to it? Perhaps finer grit belts work better on slower speeds?

At any rate I am building this with step pulleys so I can have a range of speeds. I think 890rpm to 3500rpm is a suitable range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Right now I am building based on the Bellevue Woodshop plans and modifying them to suit my needs. It'll be a smaller sander. Eventually I'd like to build Johns 2x72 sander, but I am starting off small.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Uncle Enzo posted:

I'd say it depends on your use- sharpening proper you want to go slow, so you don't overheat the metal and ruin the temper. Big belt sanders are also perfect for removing a shitton of material fast, way better than a normal bench grinder. If you're doing shaping or anything where you want to remove material as fast as possible, then yeah a big fast sander with a coarse grit will loving vaporize any material it touches.

So I'd say slow is for sharpening proper, fast is for shaping. Obviously you can do both with either. I sharpen my wood lathe chisels freehand on a medium-speed 2x72 belt sander, just a light touch and dunking the work piece in water to keep it cool.

I've finished this project more or less, turned out completely different than I had planned, but I can use 2" belts ranging from 30" to 39", perhaps more. Making step pulleys so I can have different speeds, so I can use it as a grinder or sharpener.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2819334&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=308#post457079212

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I really like the way some japanese knives look, with the dark finish on the blade and the bevel being shiny metal. But what is that dark finish? I assume it's just been forged, quenched, tempered and left like that. So some kinda mill scale finish?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm googling san mai but that's like the inverse of what I meant color wise.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Im That One Guy posted:

That black coloring is just regular Mill Scale formed during the forging process which was left unpolished.

Thanks, this is what I figured, it reminded me so much of mill scale and what blacksmithing objects looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well I obviously would, given my line of questioning. Looks awesome.