Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Trabant posted:

I actually came across this while looking for some leatherworking ideas, but if you ever want to feel completely inadequate in this knifemaking business, just browse this dude's thread:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/798829-Knives-from-the-workshop-of-Roman-Blaha

Anyway, how do you think he pulls off these peened-yet-flush pins? I haven't tried peening, but it seems to me like they're far more likely to be proud instead of flush with the handle:

Do you need some kind of fancy press to pull that off? Fully shape the handle and pins before applying epoxy? I have no idea :psyduck:

For that matter, this is a really neat detail as well:

Is this a... rounded off rat-tail stick tang? Again, no idea how to pull it off short of shaping and finishing everything before assembly.

Im not a metalworker or anything but you could probably get that look for pins by making them cosmetic, have pins inside the handle that actually hold it together then when you are done you drill holes that you can sink fake decorative pins into. Or they could be decorative caps on actual structural pins.

As for the rounded off tang you could do that just with an inlay fairly easily I think. Wether this is what he does or not I have no idea but you could certainly get the look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU